Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    My biggest concern with XF is that it may be being designed to serve some social agenda rather than a commercial forum. Kier's remark "There will never be a dislike button" is a prime example... Never is a long time and if customers want it, it should be there. Saying it never will is short-sighted at best and a personal agenda at worst.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    Keep it up Boofo, you cynical old bastard.
    Hey, less of the OLD.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by Dilly View Post
    Not cynical, realistic. And the name calling is not necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    replied
    XF is exactly what IB needs - a kick up the backside.

For far too long they've ignored customers, messed up, some would even say screwed them - and now a product that is going to have a very similar feel to the product many of those customers loved, is about to come out ...and it will take a large chunk of IB's customers. Unless IB changes and changes fast.

The old vB devs weren't perfect, and they did have their faults - some might say a lack of vision was one, and being a tad supercilious was two, BUT, they didn't treat customers, or performed, the way IB has. Their product was almost always solid and secure, and they didn't just think about 'making money' - which some would argue is the complete opposite of IB.

Personally, I am moving out of off-the-shelf packages and into custom (tho I do need to do one more update of my largest site first) so XF is of little interest to me as it's unlikely I'll be using it for the site I need to update (it's just missing too many features at the mo). I would probably go with IPB or vB 3.8

After that, I have my own plans that may interest forum admins. But it will be something completely different and most likely turn the space up on to its head!

Leave a comment:

• Dilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Boofo View Post
    Then you definitely need to see an optometrist.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by steven s View Post
    It's already there in my eyes as an Alpha release.
    Then you definitely need to see an optometrist.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    It's gonna be a while before it is even close to being competitive with that is out there now.
    It's already there in my eyes as an Alpha release.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by steven s View Post
    Increase price over time?
    Then you have people whining that the price has already gone up.

The market will determine the price.
    You get what you pay for. Well, in the real world anyway.
    There is no reason to offer a license for less than IPB or vB.
    A low price will just mean more users and require more support.
    They already said it would be competitive.
    No one has to use xF, just as no one has to use vB or IPB.

Edit: Maybe IB will need to lower their prices.
    It's gonna be a while before it is even close to being competitive with that is out there now.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    If that's true and XenForo is still seen as being light-weight at that time. That might not be a good decision. I would have expected it to come in well under the price IPB 3 and vB4 are sold for. Then maybe increase over time as it becomes much more powerful, or if it uses add-ons instead like IPB 3 does, just charge an extra price for them to expand it further e.t.c.

But either way, I would have expected the forum software to be cheaper than both IPB 3 and vB4. Mainly to capture many first initial sales. They must know that if they charge around the same price, people will compare it feature for feature against these other two boards sold. And right now it will lose hands down.
    Increase price over time?
    Then you have people whining that the price has already gone up.

The market will determine the price.
    You get what you pay for. Well, in the real world anyway.
    There is no reason to offer a license for less than IPB or vB.
    A low price will just mean more users and require more support.
    They already said it would be competitive.
    No one has to use xF, just as no one has to use vB or IPB.

Edit: Maybe IB will need to lower their prices.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    My thoughts exactly.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    According to what I read on their pricing, they are going to price it around vb and ipb pricing, which doesn't sound very good to me.
    If that's true and XenForo is still seen as being light-weight at that time. That might not be a good decision. I would have expected it to come in well under the price IPB 3 and vB4 are sold for. Then maybe increase over time as it becomes much more powerful, or if it uses add-ons instead like IPB 3 does, just charge an extra price for them to expand it further e.t.c.

But either way, I would have expected the forum software to be cheaper than both IPB 3 and vB4. Mainly to capture many first initial sales. They must know that if they charge around the same price, people will compare it feature for feature against these other two boards sold. And right now it will lose hands down.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 1 Aug '10, 1:42am.

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by lim (x³-7x²) = ∞ View Post
    I think xen will be priced comparable to second hand prices of vbulletin, basicaly that means admins will be able to 'upgrade' without investments, why you think it will be not popular scenario?
    According to what I read on their pricing, they are going to price it around vb and ipb pricing, which doesn't sound very good to me.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    I think there's a market niche for a "top quality" light-weight forum software package myself these days. I wouldn't write-off a forum package just because it boasts a lot less features than IPB 3 and vB4. As long as it still boasts the most important aspects people want the most, such as being very SEO Friendly with good Web Validation in place e.t.c. And features most used in place. It will sell itself to many people out there still. They could capture sales from "phpBB3, SMF and MyBB" users quite easy. And that equals a lot of sales.

People are basing there comments on vBulletin users buying XenForo. What about the people out there who don't use vBulletin and just want a great alternative to a free light-weight board that they are willing to pay for?

The Web doesn't revolve around just vBulletin users you know. There not the "be all, and end all" of everything.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 1 Aug '10, 1:32am.

Leave a comment:

• lim (x³-7x²) = ∞
    replied
    I think xen will be priced comparable to second hand prices of vbulletin, basicaly that means admins will be able to 'upgrade' without investments, why you think it will be not popular scenario?

Leave a comment:

• Boofo
    replied
    Originally posted by lim (x³-7x²) = ∞ View Post
    soon there will be many of used vb3/vb4 licenses up for sale, second hand prices will go down :x
    I wouldn't bet on it happening soon. It will be a while, if at all.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X