Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former vBulletin lead developer Kier Darby to develop new forum software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    Originally posted by Gladius View Post
    The suggestions forum became more or less completely ignored years before that. Not that it's anything but a black hole now, but feature stagnation and lack of vision and innovativeness have been plaguing vB years before IB came along.
    Yeah! I wish people would stop keep acting as though everything was a bed of roses before IB came along. Because for the last few years it wasn't, it was stagnant. vBulletin was going nowhere really, and was the main reason why IPB caught-up and became Number 1 today. When vBulletin was sold, they knew things where sliding fast away from them with IPB still being so creative with new add-ons and a full rewrite in the works for IPB 3. I think that's why they sold to IB at that time, before the company worth and re-sale value started to decline. It was the right time to sell!

And I don't think Internet Brands understood all this, and knew enough to realise just what they was getting into really when they first purchased Jelsoft.
    MRGTB
    Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 3 Aug '10, 4:39am.

Leave a comment:

• wii

• wii
    replied
    Well, in any case, I will definately wait with the upgrade until I see where XenForo is going, and I suspect many others will too, but we'll see...

Leave a comment:

• ThorstenA

• ThorstenA
    replied
    Originally posted by Gladius View Post
    The suggestions forum became more or less completely ignored years before that. Not that it's anything but a black hole now, but feature stagnation and lack of vision and innovativeness have been plaguing vB years before IB came along.
    There were so many suggestions, that of course it would be hard to include them all. But there was nearly no feedback to suggestions which was not good.

Lots of people went, right. But there are also new people involved in vbulletin as as Adrian, which is nice!

Leave a comment:

• Gladius

• Gladius
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    Sorry,Josh, but the larger part of those days were there much earlier.
    If they were not there, IB could not have a chance to purchase vB.
    I somewhat disagree.

December 2002 - Kier becomes Lead Developer
    March 2004 - vBulletin 3.0 released
    September 2004 - vBulletin 3.5.0 released
    August 2006 - vBulletin 3.6 released
    July 2007 - Internet Brands acquires vBulletin
    November 2007 - vBulletin 3.7 released
    January 2009 - vBulletin 3.8 released
    December 2009 - vBulletin 4 released

I've personally witnessed a big communication breakdown around late 2007. But that's my personal observation and take

Leave a comment:

• ThorstenA

• ThorstenA
    replied
    vbulletin already has lots of features, and some of xfs "new ones" are also available in vbulletin, although in a different implementation:
    - Static Pages are possible with vbulletin cms.
    - The Follow Users workaround is to put the user on your contact list (including friendship system, not sure if xf has that)

Leave a comment:

• beishe8

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    No offense, but part of "those days" were under the Internet Brands management and leadership.
    Sorry,Josh, but the larger part of those days were there much earlier.
    If they were not there, IB could not have a chance to purchase vB.

Leave a comment:

• The Vegan Forum

• The Vegan Forum
    replied
    Originally posted by borbole View Post
    And the way I see it, IB has no reason to worry. vB is a very established platform and it is getting better and better with each version.
    Yes, vB is improving - but vB isn't only a forum anymore, and it seems that with so many features to improve, each of the elements are improving slower than they could. All the time spent on fixing CMS and Blog issues could have been used on developing the forum, eg. by introducing a way to control styles without needing to deal with both CSS and Stylevars, or a way to figure out which Stylevar that controls what element without a lot of steps (including learning Inspect Element in Firefox or Safari.

Of course it helps a lot to have been at the core of the vB team (even if this means that the same people are also responsible for introducing many of the things in vB that now needs to be changed). And while features may be simple to add, the thing that IMO could make any new forum software shine would be a user interface (for end users and especially for admins) that would be a lot simpler and not require as many steps as eg. editing/creating skins in vB4 requires. If the XenForo developers work on a solution which makes it easy to change colors/fonts etc without having to deal with both Stylevars and CSS, and which would require all these steps just to figure out which parameter to edit, they'll have a brilliant product.

But it will still take a lot of time before they have implemented a feature set rivaling vB, and who knows what the vB team is working on while the XF team is working on adding all the features vB already has. Since XF has a more or less public Alpha, IB could even add many of XF's features (Follow Users/"Your News Feed", Personal Conversations with multiple users, Static Pages etc) to vB even before XF has reached Beta or a Release Candidate.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by dieKetzer View Post
    im not sold on xenforo yet.
    i still have vivid memories of the kier days of vb3, the lack of communication, resistance to feedback, the stagnation... many of the things people complain about, such as the compartmentalisation of vb, overblown permissions, convoluted admincp, etc, predate IB. i think IBs ham-fisted management has made the old devs into christ figures, but my memory isnt nearly so kind.
    reading over xenforo, it seems kier and co are again taking the stance they they know better what my communities want, in effect managing by proxy. it appears many things are done in a way simply to make them different; changes for the sake of change. i am having a hard time with that. imo if an upstart wants to knock vb off its perch it needs to create the board vb users have been begging for for years. the guys at xenforo should know what that board is, if they had ever paid attention. instead they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
    i will def keep one foot in the water over there, but i reckon my future is at ipb.
    No offense, but part of "those days" were under the Internet Brands management and leadership.

Leave a comment:

• pspmodandcfw
    Banned

• pspmodandcfw
    replied
    i still have vivid memories of the kier days of vb3, the lack of communication, resistance to feedback, the stagnation... many of the things people complain about, such as the compartmentalisation of vb, overblown permissions, convoluted admincp, etc, predate IB. i think IBs ham-fisted management has made the old devs into christ figures, but my memory isnt nearly so kind.
    reading over xenforo, it seems kier and co are again taking the stance they they know better what my communities want, in effect managing by proxy. it appears many things are done in a way simply to make them different; changes for the sake of change. i am having a hard time with that. imo if an upstart wants to knock vb off its perch it needs to create the board vb users have been begging for for years. the guys at xenforo should know what that board is, if they had ever paid attention. instead they are trying to reinvent the wheel.
    i will def keep one foot in the water over there, but i reckon my future is at ipb.
    There is a difference between reinventing the wheel and finding a better way to accomplish something.

Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door

Leave a comment:

• Boofo

• Boofo
    replied
    I remember those days well. Is history going to repeat itself again?

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
    I hope that makes a world of difference. I do see them asking for and taking in a lot of suggestions ATM. So thats surely a difference than some years ago.
    I can tell you a story from early days where I had to work as a pizza driver to gain additional money. The owner of the pizza shop didn't care too much and therefore business was running bad, most time he was sitting in the back office, reading the bible and praying for a better business. A young employed student run the phone and kitchen, pizza was burned to long or customers got delivered to late, he didn't care about. End of story was the owner had to sell the shop and outstanding debts.
    And guess what happens? The former employed student took over the pizza shop, improved the quality and had a fair income. Conclusion is, if you work for your own can set free a lot of extra power.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    I have to admit that I am getting more impressed with how XenForo is shaping up, and the speed at which things are getting done there is mind blowing. I just cannot believe how fast changes are being made.

About the only thing I don't like (which is just a matter of taste) so far, is the colour scheme used for the style. I prefer a darker theme. But other than that I'm impressed with things so far. Plus, they might offer a few different colour variation yet in the theme picker to suit all later, who knows. They've already added a fixed width option which like.
    MRGTB
    Last edited by MRGTB; Mon 2 Aug '10, 3:46pm.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    Don't forget sometimes it makes a difference if you are just employed or run your own business.
    I hope that makes a world of difference. I do see them asking for and taking in a lot of suggestions ATM. So thats surely a difference than some years ago.

Leave a comment:

• steven s

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by borbole View Post
    Let me tell you this, IB would not be what is it if it did not have good business sense, wouldn''t you say? Personally I have great faith in IB and vb.

And those long time unsatisfied customers are not that plenty, only a handful of them from what I have seen so far here. And it is a fact that you can not satisfy everyone
    Remember that thought when v5 rolls around.
    Would anyone in their right mind buy into the next pre-sale knowing what they know now?
    No public beta, despite begging. A pre-sale, site [sic] unseen. After all this time, finally a version (4.05) that doesn't break my forum.

Edit: Didn't realize you've only been here since Feb 2010.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X