No announcement yet.

Whats a good telnet program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not totally sure...I use WS_FTP for file transfers...TELNET is only used for MySQL usually...although I think you can transfer files with it as well...I sure wouldn't want to, though.
    Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
      Originally posted by eva2000
      so if i disabled telnet after installing SSH does this mean that if i hosted someone's site on my server, they also must use a telnet SSH capable client app ?
      Well a couple of things.... if you can either totally disable telnet access by turning off the services, or you can disable "root" access by telnet, but still allow normal users to telnet into your machine. However, I NEVER allow anyone to telnet into my machine, even as a regular user. I just set up an FTP only account that limits them to their own home directory structure.

-Chris
      thanks
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I use this and it is freeware http://www.geocities.com/kevterm/

Comment

hey shane
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Telnet has a multitude of uses! :-)

For example, how can you completely manage the server including setting up new vhosts, mysql accounts, email addresses, and the like, with FTP?

Its pretty much critical if you want to do a server-to-server file transfer (wget), start eggdrops (IRC), or run any other sort of program not designed for a web browser.

Also, Perl debugging is best done through Telnet (I believe) since it doesn't have a through-the-web debugger like PHP.

Comment

how does server to server transfer work ? i tried it through cuteftp from my virtual host server to my dedicated server, didn't work my dedicated server didn't accept the files within the directory folders...... but it did accept the folders themselves ?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesglewisf
                Idiot Alert!!!!

I often see people saying that they need Telnet access. For what purpose do you need it? I'm sure I'm missing out on something fun, and that's not fair. Seriously though, what's it for?

BTW, the idiot I'm referring to is me.
                Do stuff remotely on a unix box is what I use it for. Anyway, I used to have procomm plus with lots of scripts. They don't offer the telnet program as a stand alone any longer. Do the programs memtioned above or yet to be mentioned have good scripting possiblilities?
                "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Shoe
                  Do the programs memtioned above or yet to be mentioned have good scripting possiblilities?
                  Yes, SecureCRT/CRT offer the ability to record and play .VBS script files, you can automate pretty much anything you would need to with that.

-Chris

Comment

eva2000: try "man wget"

I'm not sure if its installed on all systems, but it works like a charm for me!

As far as CuteFTP server-to-server, you are the middleman. This means you'd need to have 100MB of space locally (if you're transferring a 100MB file) and the transfer would be limited by the slower of your upstream or downstream connections, which can be a hassle when the two servers are both on OC-12's

Comment

SSH from ssh.com

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                      I'd *highly* recommend CRT for Telnet access and SecureCRT for SSH access as well.... it's the best thing out there and the cost is very reasonable as well.

-Chris
                      As far as I know, the above is pay per use. The SSH (1 and 2) client from http://www.ssh.com/ is free for personal and educational use. It only offers SSH though. Now, for a real cheap, SSH1/Telnet client, go for putty. Perform a search on any major search engine for putty and you will find it.

My .02 cents. Cheers!

-
                      um

Comment

Call redirection with Normal Modem

I need to implement Auto call Redirecting System in VB / VB.NET platform.
                        I need to know is there anyway to achieve this using normal modems.
                        ie, ti accept a call and redirect to another line without disconnection using normal modem!!!

Kamal

Comment

PuTTY. There is nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco
                            PuTTY. There is nothing else.
                            well there is something else, but thats what i use as well

Comment

Secure Shell Client from SSH.com

Comment

Originally posted by thariq
                                I need to implement Auto call Redirecting System in VB / VB.NET platform.
                                I need to know is there anyway to achieve this using normal modems.
                                ie, ti accept a call and redirect to another line without disconnection using normal modem!!!

Kamal
                                Wow this thread is a little more then 3yrs old.
                                eqinterface.com | eq2interface.com | wowinterface.com
                                vginterface.com | goBerserker.com
                                7 Full vBulletin Lic.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X