Whats a good telnet program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good telnet program?

What does everyone use for there telnet program? Im looking for a good / free telnet program, somthing better then the pos one that comes preloaded with win95
    Bike Forums.net

i think it was rangersfan or techtalk who recommended to me http://www.vandyke.com/products/crt/index.html i used the trial but couldn't see it being better than the free telnet that came with win 98 SE... especially at US$39 - rather save it and buy another 3 domain names
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

I'd *highly* recommend CRT for Telnet access and SecureCRT for SSH access as well.... it's the best thing out there and the cost is very reasonable as well.

-Chris

Comment

thanks
        Bike Forums.net

Comment

question... can SecureCRT be used just for normal telnet ?
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Originally posted by eva2000
            i think it was rangersfan or techtalk who recommended to me http://www.vandyke.com/products/crt/index.html i used the trial but couldn't see it being better than the free telnet that came with win 98 SE... especially at US$39 - rather save it and buy another 3 domain names
            It is MUCH better than that garbage that comes with windows!

Comment

Yes... SecureCRT includes Telnet, Serial, rlogin, TAPI, SSH1 and SSH2 protocols.

Comment

Putty r00lz :P

I love the MIRC-style copy, and right-click paste.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersfan
                  It is MUCH better than that garbage that comes with windows!
                  well i can't see anything different...

i have Win 98 SE telnet and my windows 98 SE set to a grey app background and the blinking cursor is off... so it's much like any other windows app for me..

i do the exact same thing in win 98 telnet as i do in the trial version of CRT telnet and it ain't any different. not worth the US$39... but SecureCRT maybe at US$99 for the added features...

so i need to install SSH or whatever right ? does that disable telnet altogether ?

Comment

so i need to install SSH or whatever right ? does that disable telnet altogether ?
                    Yes you can install and use SSH, but it doesn't do anything to Telnet. SSH runs over port 22 while telnet uses port 23.

But, the point of having SSH is to have a secure connection, so most people (including me) will just use SSH and completely disable remote telnet access for security reasons. Works for me

-Chris

Comment

so if i disabled telnet after installing SSH does this mean that if i hosted someone's site on my server, they also must use a telnet SSH capable client app ?

Comment

CRT is by far the best. I used easy term for a while because it was so simple and free.....but if your going for features and security, pick up CRT or SecureCRT

~Chris

Comment

so if i disabled telnet after installing SSH does this mean that if i hosted someone's site on my server, they also must use a telnet SSH capable client app ?
                          Well a couple of things.... if you can either totally disable telnet access by turning off the services, or you can disable "root" access by telnet, but still allow normal users to telnet into your machine. However, I NEVER allow anyone to telnet into my machine, even as a regular user. I just set up an FTP only account that limits them to their own home directory structure.

-Chris

Comment

I just go to START > RUN > TELNET - simple and DOS-like...no problem. I might get around to using something else at some point, but right now I'm happy with it. I only use it for MySQL administration really...
                            Movie Forums - Now With 28% More Bruce Willis

Comment

Idiot Alert!!!!

I often see people saying that they need Telnet access. For what purpose do you need it? I'm sure I'm missing out on something fun, and that's not fair. Seriously though, what's it for?

BTW, the idiot I'm referring to is me.
                              Jim Lewis
                              FrappyDoo! Forums
                              MarriedAdults.com
                              Hosting Matters (My Host)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X