X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat Buying a packaged computer vs Building your own

Hey guys,

I thought I might come up with a topic to do with computers. Also I am asking those that use IE6 if they build their own pc's as their main reason for not upgrading their browsers?

Personally I don't hold a stubborn attitude when it comes to upgrading to the latest technology that includes browsers. I hate working with old software.
    Buy the latest technology
    41.67%
    Nah I like to build my own
    58.33%
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

I mean this and someone probably should report me to the Internet police but I will shoot anybody on sight if they admit to me they still use Internet Explorer 6.
    <insert pun meme here>

Comment

Thinking of some reasons to use IE and eventually, after hours of mental straining .. here are the RESULTS

Comment

Hey Floris.. You're gonna have to polish up your guns...

At work we have 5 computers, All of them have IE 6.
        We have to, it's a hotel, and the front desk and housekeeping programs are a java based programs. If we upgrade higher then IE 6 then certain functions we need wont work.. BTW, we're still on XP. Corp says they'll think about Vista in a few years..... Ummm... yeah...

As for build your own. It's cheaper to buy a pre packaged computer. Down side to the pre packaged is they usually are a rounded type of computer to fit a range of people.

But when you build you own, you can pick and choose your hardware and make it suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post

We have to, it's a hotel, and the front desk and housekeeping programs are a java based programs. If we upgrade higher then IE 6 then certain functions we need wont work.. BTW, we're still on XP. Corp says they'll think about Vista in a few years..... Ummm... yeah...

As for build your own. It's cheaper to buy a pre packaged computer. Down side to the pre packaged is they usually are a rounded type of computer to fit a range of people.

But when you build you own, you can pick and choose your hardware and make it suit your needs.
          I found that it's actually cheaper to build your own than it is to buy one pre-built.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
            I found that it's actually cheaper to build your own than it is to buy one pre-built.
            Depends on what your time is worth. Personally, I used to build computers. Go through websites and find the latest products and compare prices. Plus since most online stores have some presence in California, I have to pay both shipping and tax. Make lists, make purchases. Get the parts and then put it together. RMA the one part that always gets broken by UPS (why can't they use FEDEX?). Wait for that part and put it in. Finally install software. After about 10 hours of work and days of waiting with all of that, I would be done. So add at least $600.00 to the price of what it would cost off the shelf.

Or, I can go to the HP website and pick a computer that fits my needs. Done in 30 minutes and I have it in a few days. Once received, plug it in and turn it on. Everything works.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I prefer to build my own. You can find good deals at Dell at they are good for internet surfing if thats what your mostly after.

As for IE6, I use it at work. Some of our systems are locked into it. I don't like it but I understand the issues preventing us from going to IE8 at the moment.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                I mean this and someone probably should report me to the Internet police but I will shoot anybody on sight if they admit to me they still use Internet Explorer 6.
                <insert pun meme here>
                I use internet explorer six at work and have learned to deal with its limitations and stick to personal browsing at home. While at home I browse the internet on my prebuilt imac because it meets my needs out of the box and looks a million times better than a traditional desktop PC.
                Last edited by Redseal; Tue 29th Dec '09, 7:39pm. Reason: stay on topic
                I love lamp

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post

Not trying to be rude here but why does your work insist on using old products when the latest is always the best one you can have? There are newer products on the shelves that will help you guys upgrade your java programs. As for the browser I can imagine the red x's you get all the time.
                  I can live with using xp.
                  Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
                    Not trying to be rude here but why does your work insist on using old products when the latest is always the best one you can have? There are newer products on the shelves that will help you guys upgrade your java programs. As for the browser I can imagine the red x's you get all the time.
                    I can live with using xp.
                    As much as I would like to use a modern browser at my office, the logistics involved with updating all of the systems to support the lastest browser would be a nightmare. If a company employed 10 people it would be a small matter, but trying to do it for a company that employs 400,000 people internationally is another set of headaches.
                    I love lamp

Comment

I tend to build my own machines. Thing is, with pre packaged machines from large suppliers; they will generally use mass bought cheapish components (esp for the things you dont tend to notice as a normal user) ram, hard drives and Power supply generally suffer from these issues; customers are often concerned with how much hard drive space they get; very few would question seek times, spin speed or noise, yet these can have notable effects on performance, especially when the disk gets a bit fuller.

A few years ago, a friend of mine managed to blow his pc up (dodgy psu fried the internals) I priced him up a machine for ~ £500 (inc my fee for building it) that wasn't top of the range, but was fairly up there; leaps and bounds ahead of what he had, he turned the offer down and instead went to the same shop he bought the first from and ended up (after they were unable to repair his machine) paying £700 for something only slightly better than what he had. (to the point it would have been possible to overclock his old machine to be upto the same spec as the new one)

I always build my machines, with the exception of my production servers; however for them, I want the support and am willing to pay the extra to get it.
                      Some of my Mods:
                      Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                      Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                      Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
                      Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Or, I can go to the HP website and pick a computer that fits my needs. Done in 30 minutes and I have it in a few days. Once received, plug it in and turn it on. Everything works.
                        I'm going to a shop which sells HPs.
                        Try it, buy it.
                        No headaches.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          I've done this before (I did it for both of my sisters), and it's the only manufacturer I recommend doing this through.

For myself, I custom built my computer, and what I built cost me less than an equivalent with the same specs (at the time, anyway).
                          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

My networking teacher insists on building his own machine.
                            Not me I wouldn't bother because what happens if you buy a motherboard from a swap meet that is dodgey and causes your machine to blow up? What happens if you are at a swap meet and somebody is selling a faulty adapter that you didn't know was faulty? You bought it and next thing you know that your pc has blown up.

Hence the reason why I prefer to buy a packaged machine from a brand that you know and trust.
                            My first computer at home was a compac pc which had everything. IT's still going strong. Although I can see myself going wireless with the mouse and the keyboard along with the net as well soon.
                            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

Originally posted by Redseal View Post
                              As much as I would like to use a modern browser at my office, the logistics involved with updating all of the systems to support the lastest browser would be a nightmare. If a company employed 10 people it would be a small matter, but trying to do it for a company that employs 400,000 people internationally is another set of headaches.
                              It is so easy to do. It's just that you are either lazy or just can't be bothered to do it.
                              How old are the 400,000 pc's that you are using? Order new pc's with the latest IE browser on it. Then order in new java software.
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X