Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web design: what's in vogue at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Grandmaster

• Grandmaster
    replied
    If you have PHP I can show you a simple way to keep the ease of updating with frames with html functionality. I guess thats what I'd call it. ICQ or AIM me if ya wanna chat.

29266117 kenprescott21

Leave a comment:

• ethank

• ethank
    replied
    I'm getting rid of frames on my site. I came to this decision last night after reading this thread and carefully looking at how much usuable space I loose with frames. Erg....

Ethan

Leave a comment:

• JTMON

• JTMON
    replied
    I think everyone should use Flash with PHP and SQL backend

Leave a comment:

• Grandmaster

• Grandmaster
    replied
    I think php and mysql is the in vogue in now.. Most sites have a .php extension.

Leave a comment:

• Stryker

• Stryker
    replied
    Thanks for your input guys. Well I've used all the different strategies in the past and have found that they all have disadvantages as well as advantages. SSI makes it very easy to make changes to your whole site without editing each page, but it also makes previewing pages offline difficult and slows down the appearance of web pages.

Do you think iframes suffer the same problems as ordinary frames? In my experience they're much more flexible because you can get them to expand and contract with your browser without it messing up the layout. I know Netscape used to get confused by iframes, but I don't think that's an issue anymore, especially now that Netscape has one foot in the grave.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
    experience of the times
    OIC

Leave a comment:

• Tolitz

• Tolitz
    replied
    Server side includes came out before frames, but not all servers were supporting SSI during that time - sometimes it even became one of the selling points for premium webhosts back in those days...

The trouble with frames is that they are not spider friendly ... and majority of the people's implementations of frames were sucky, to say the least...

Leave a comment:

• JTMON

• JTMON
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical
    Frames are kewl. They make you go here and there and there and here, but you just can't bookmark it.
    Right click, choose bookmark or add to favorites

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical

• Skeptical
    replied
    Frames are kewl. They make you go here and there and there and here, but you just can't bookmark it.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    experience of the times

Leave a comment:

• Dave#

• Dave#
    replied
    Sorry to be pedant but

But they weren't in that much common usage
    What exactly is this based upon?

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    But they weren't in that much common usage. Also people had slower modems e.g. 28.8 which didn't like downloading side bar menus on every page.

Leave a comment:

• Dave#

• Dave#
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
    Frames were needed for things like staic menus but now we have all sorts of server side include stuff they are totally useless.
    We had serverside includes before we had frames

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hewitt

• Mark Hewitt
    replied
    Frames were needed for things like staic menus but now we have all sorts of server side include stuff they are totally useless.

Leave a comment:

• Goldfinger

• Goldfinger
    replied
    frames are also not even needed if you know what you are doing. I mean i tend to think that frames are the easy/lazy way to make a site.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X