Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Web design: what's in vogue at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web design: what's in vogue at the moment?

I've noticed there's been a rapid shift away from designing web sites using multiple frames in the last few years because they can be awkward to construct so that they look good using lots of different resolutions/browsers etc etc.

I've also come across a lot of web design experts who look down their noses at people who use frames. Do you think they're taking a purely technical stance or an aesthetic one? Is this just a fickle trend or am I missing something?

Do you think the same can be said for using iframes? Is SSI or just simple duplicate html pages the way to go? Where do you lovely people see the future of web design heading?

The future totally depends on what the site is for. Personal websites really don't need major php/mysql backends or asp and what not. Personal sites are usually flash things with a quick yet effective layout.

Bigger sites require a more precise knowledge of layouts and what not, as content is the biggest part around major sites.
    Frames tend not to work to well because they created compatibility issues.
    Board of the Month: November
    Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
    Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
    vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

frames are also not even needed if you know what you are doing. I mean i tend to think that frames are the easy/lazy way to make a site.

Comment

Frames were needed for things like staic menus but now we have all sorts of server side include stuff they are totally useless.
        Motorsport Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
          Frames were needed for things like staic menus but now we have all sorts of server side include stuff they are totally useless.
          We had serverside includes before we had frames
          http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

But they weren't in that much common usage. Also people had slower modems e.g. 28.8 which didn't like downloading side bar menus on every page.
            Motorsport Forums

Comment

Sorry to be pedant but

But they weren't in that much common usage
              What exactly is this based upon?

Comment

experience of the times
                Motorsport Forums

Comment

Frames are kewl. They make you go here and there and there and here, but you just can't bookmark it.
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
                    Frames are kewl. They make you go here and there and there and here, but you just can't bookmark it.
                    Right click, choose bookmark or add to favorites
                    JTMON

Comment

Server side includes came out before frames, but not all servers were supporting SSI during that time - sometimes it even became one of the selling points for premium webhosts back in those days...

The trouble with frames is that they are not spider friendly ... and majority of the people's implementations of frames were sucky, to say the least...
                      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
                      "Tech is our middle name!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hewitt
                        experience of the times
                        OIC

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. Well I've used all the different strategies in the past and have found that they all have disadvantages as well as advantages. SSI makes it very easy to make changes to your whole site without editing each page, but it also makes previewing pages offline difficult and slows down the appearance of web pages.

Do you think iframes suffer the same problems as ordinary frames? In my experience they're much more flexible because you can get them to expand and contract with your browser without it messing up the layout. I know Netscape used to get confused by iframes, but I don't think that's an issue anymore, especially now that Netscape has one foot in the grave.

Comment

I think php and mysql is the in vogue in now.. Most sites have a .php extension.
                            Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
                            Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Comment

I think everyone should use Flash with PHP and SQL backend
                              JTMON

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X