how did they hack me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rnmcd View Post
    I don't understand that. How did they get my contacts if they didn't have my password?
    Your contacts are listed in the above mentioned CC-ed email.
    Just one of them has a virus and all those addresses will be available to the spammers.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

How could it be my host if my Yahoo account wasn't breached?
      It's your host as Yahoo isn't secure enough. There are better ones out there that you have to pay for. Don't go for the freebies.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

yahoo is crackable with using links that you don't realize that can be simple enough to send your login info to an email address with you knowing it unless your previous hacker(*cough*) and know how to trick people with simple things like fake pages, dummy links, etc. but i suggest you get something that is a paid account such as AOL really since their support gives a sh*t more than yahoo.

Comment

Firstly, anyone can send an email from any email address they like, it's just a line of code, it's almost never checked.

There's a few ways they can get your contact list, the least likely is they got into your account...
          I'll make a list from most likely to least.

1) You send a "cool" (or any email) to lots of friends to read, the email keeps the list inside the email. Your friends forward it to their friends... and so on.
          You send it to 20 people, they each send it to 20 people, they each send it to 20 people. 20 * 20 * 20 = 8000 people have your contact list. Only one needs to be a bot address or a spammer.

2) You clicked a link with a virus through yahoo messenger that says something like "Look at the cool picture I took of us!" or "I'm waiting in my bed for you.... come see at my site". The virus then sends the same message to all your friends and steals whatever it wants from your PC.

3) Someone actually got into your yahoo account. But if the mail is spam, this is as unlikely as my finding a large bag of unmarked $100 notes sitting on my bed with a note on top saying "Merry Christmas Stranger!"

Don't forward those emails which you think are funny or say forward to 30 friends in the next 20 minutes, that's where spam starts, they get you and your friends from those.

Comment

Actually I pay for Yahoo email Plus. I'm sure you're correct though about it being a breach in Yahoo's servers not a breach of security on my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by thedudleys View Post
              yahoo is crackable with using links that you don't realize that can be simple enough to send your login info to an email address with you knowing it unless your previous hacker(*cough*) and know how to trick people with simple things like fake pages, dummy links, etc.
              I don't think that anyone has my password nor did they send the spam email from my yahoo account. Somehow they spoofed my email address and they sent out spam from my spoofed email address to people on my Yahoo contacts list.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyAsia View Post
                Firstly, anyone can send an email from any email address they like, it's just a line of code, it's almost never checked.

There's a few ways they can get your contact list, the least likely is they got into your account...
                I'll make a list from most likely to least.

1) You send a "cool" (or any email) to lots of friends to read, the email keeps the list inside the email. Your friends forward it to their friends... and so on.
                You send it to 20 people, they each send it to 20 people, they each send it to 20 people. 20 * 20 * 20 = 8000 people have your contact list. Only one needs to be a bot address or a spammer.

2) You clicked a link with a virus through yahoo messenger that says something like "Look at the cool picture I took of us!" or "I'm waiting in my bed for you.... come see at my site". The virus then sends the same message to all your friends and steals whatever it wants from your PC.

3) Someone actually got into your yahoo account. But if the mail is spam, this is as unlikely as my finding a large bag of unmarked $100 notes sitting on my bed with a note on top saying "Merry Christmas Stranger!"

Don't forward those emails which you think are funny or say forward to 30 friends in the next 20 minutes, that's where spam starts, they get you and your friends from those.
                My 'guess' is that it is number 2.

Regarding number 1, I never forward emails and I seldom send an email to more than one person.

Regarding number 3, I think that if they actually got into my account then they would have changed my password or deleted emails, but they didn't.

Comment

your machine could have a viris on it that spams users from your yahoo or other email accounts when you connect to the service.

Comment

I thought that might be the case but I had not logged into Yahoo email for 10 hours prior to the time stamp on the sent spam emails.

Comment

Make sure that your password isn't too easy for others to crack.
                      Also delete all spam emails that means don't open them and read them and then delete. Just delete them.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Yahoo's response to me:
                        It appears as though you have received one or more emails containing a
                        "worm" virus. These types of viruses spread themselves by mass sending
                        an email with an infected attachment to addresses found in an infected
                        computer's address book, local files, etc. The virus hopes the infected
                        emails reach unsuspecting recipients and entice them to open the
                        attachment thus infecting the recipient's computer.
                        I don't think they're right. If the spam emails were sent from my account (and not spoofed) then I would have a copy of the email in my "Sent" box and several bounced back emails that were from email providers of people in my contacts list that didn't have active email accounts any longer.

Comment

Yahoo's response to me: I don't think they're right. If the spam emails were sent from my account (and not spoofed) then I would have a copy of the email in my "Sent" box and several bounced back emails that were from email providers of people in my contacts list that didn't have active email accounts any longer.
                          Virus harvests emails, not sent from your account.
                          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                          vBulletin Hosting and Services
                          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

But every email sent (from my spoofed email address) was TO someone in my Contact list.

Comment

on the internet many various trick to hack computer...

golf turbo
                              Last edited by henrinaiara; Tue 12 Jan '10, 7:10pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X