I sure do miss the old days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Basil View Post
    Wow, I feel like an old timer now. Anyone else here that joined VB in 2000?
    Yes, the 837 people listed here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/membe...indate&page=28

(or even beter, here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/membe...sername&order=)

I am just 5 months too old...
    How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
      Yes I do remember when UBB first hit the scene. I was using Matt Wrights wwwboard and switched to UBB. Then to vbulletin. I sold my original forums.
      My first forum in the mid 90s used this script... and I have kept the archives of it online.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
        Yes I do remember when UBB first hit the scene. I was using Matt Wrights wwwboard and switched to UBB. Then to vbulletin. I sold my original forums.
        Exactly the same for me.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

First version i used was 3.8.2 Count me out.

Comment

My first vBulletin experience was 2.0.0 when it was released in May '01. I didn't join here until '04 because the company I worked for had been letting me use their login for support. ;-) Finally bought my own license shortly after 3.0.0 was released. ...I remember THAT learning curve too.
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

October 4, 2001 after I found out UltraBoard2000 was dead. Then less then a month later 2.2 came out and the wait for 3.0 begun.

Comment

Originally posted by deuterium View Post
                How about the times from Colossus/Mustang, which actually came up with the idea of BBS/forums. I've met the guy who was a developer and partner in business
                I ran the Renegade BBS Software FAQ back in the early 90's for the author Cott Lang and also ran a few BBS's using the same software. I ran the first BBS in Phoenix to offer Usenet news groups. I used a free feed from Arizona State University,

P.S. Colossus/Mustang (Wildcat!) did not come up the the idea of BBS's. Not even close. They started in 1986 or so. The first BBS was called CBBS (Yup, Computer Bulletin Board System) back in 1978. It was created by Ward Christensen. How do I know this? Ward is my uncle. (Ward also wrote the XModem protocol that a lot of early BBS's used).

Comment

Robert do tell us more about the beginning of BBS's. I was born in 1978, and love hearing about history of computers and the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Basil View Post
                    I ran the Renegade BBS Software FAQ back in the early 90's for the author Cott Lang and also ran a few BBS's using the same software. I ran the first BBS in Phoenix to offer Usenet news groups. I used a free feed from Arizona State University,

P.S. Colossus/Mustang (Wildcat!) did not come up the the idea of BBS's. Not even close. They started in 1986 or so. The first BBS was called CBBS (Yup, Computer Bulletin Board System) back in 1978. It was created by Ward Christensen. How do I know this? Ward is my uncle. (Ward also wrote the XModem protocol that a lot of early BBS's used).
                    Hmm interesting, maybe if I simplify it to the tasks of saving data (messages) to a database and retrieving it?
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

In the 2000 I was using UBB thread Cgi, then I switch to vbulletin next year
                      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

Originally posted by deuterium View Post
                        Hmm interesting, maybe if I simplify it to the tasks of saving data (messages) to a database and retrieving it?
                        What? I have no idea what you mean by this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Write View Post
                          Robert do tell us more about the beginning of BBS's. I was born in 1978, and love hearing about history of computers and the Internet.
                          Check this out, it's not a great documentary, but pretty good. http://www.bbsdocumentary.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Write View Post
                            You can also check out http://www.bbsmates.com for some still running BBS's or to find old BBS friends you might have lost touch with. I went by the name BUNGEE! back in the day.

Comment

3.0.x was my first version
                              I'm 1/2 to 2000
                              -- Web Developer for hire
                              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

3.8 was my first version... I only started playing with vB earlier this year. :P

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X