X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat Google's Minimalism

Just check it out:

www.google.com

First, I thought something was wrong with their server or something... but it is intentional design/functionality. Very minimalistic.

Thoughts?
    How much do you love XenForo?

Waste of time and functionality if you ask me.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
      Waste of time and functionality if you ask me.
      Your arguments being?

Comment

In case anybody wants to know which direction Google's going, here's the next thing they're testing.

Comment

Google really are rock(s)!

Comment

Originally posted by Grover View Post
            Thoughts?
            Looks exactly the same as it always has. Not sure what you want thoughts on. Personally, I have always thought Google's interface it too simple and it doesn't fulfill my basic needs. If I just want a search box, well I have that in my browser already no reason to go to their home page.

I actually like Bing's left column where I can get to related searches and refine my search without scrolling to the bottom of the page. Showing me my search history is a good bonus as well because I can easily go back to a previous search. On Yahoo, having the different search types immediately over the search box makes it easier to switch as well.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

@Wayne:

On page load, the navigation menu and the footer is hidden;
              And the cursor is positioned inside the search text box.

After you move the mouse in the page, the hidden elements appear:
              (slowly fade in)

I find it annoying, to say the least.
              The joy of an early release lasts but a short time. The bitterness of an unusable system lasts for years.
              GeekPoint Forum | Articles & Reference

Comment

I thought it always worked that way. Like I said, I have no reason to ever visit google.com. Every browser has a search box. If I need to search Google, I can use the search box.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I use search from browser, no need to visit this page.
                  http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/images/editor/smilie.gif

Comment

They changed, how weird.

Comment

This has been in beta testing for some time, it's only today it's officially gone live.

Like some others have said, it's not bad, but it's also almost too simplistic.
                      Forums

Comment

Hmm... yeah, i noticed that they've been making some changes aswell.
                        Personaly I liked the way it was before they implemented the fading into the page.

frenzy752

Comment

Google have always been ahead of the curve when it comes to user functionality, much of which is actually hidden behind the scenes, though is used regardless. Local search is one such thing. Regardless whether you use Google.com, being the US Google site, if you are on one side of the US you will get more localised results compared to the next state across, next city even. Many things just happen in Google without most knowing about them, unless you follow what Google do.

Google are the best... they are the largest provider and I applaud them for what they do because they make search so easy. You get crud results from bing and yahoo (combined nowadays)... way to full of all the SEO manipulation they still haven't worked out how to fix through algorithmic analysis. Google listen to the user... which has me immediately.

Comment

Google Real-Time Irrelevance http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...relevance.html

kinda interesting.
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Just use the search box in my browser too...
                              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                              -
                              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X