Clear All

• relou
    replied
    Macs are for more for designers

Leave a comment:

• socceronly
    replied
    Originally posted by Quillz View Post
    If you're bothered by graphics, then you might as well just use MS-DOS or some other CLI interface, because all OS are moving towards "animated icons and stuff."

Also, a Macintosh is built for Windows. No matter what Apple tells you, a Mac is just a pretty chassis over the same, generic Intel hardware you find in any Dell, HP or Compaq. Except it costs more.

Of course, because there is no difference between the two. At all. Macs use Intel parts. So do Dells and HPs and Compaqs and eMachines, etc. Macs use the same graphics cards and wireless cards, etc. A Mac and a Dell with exactly the same specs and hardware will run Windows exactly the same.
    They come from the same pool of parts, but are not necessarily the same.

Dollar for dollar you will get a better laptop with a PC.

Look at the ASUS laptops. They are apparently the most reliable from a recent Toms Hardware article.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by wii View Post
    Still in doubt, I look at the HP Envy 13 again, which looks great, but it's expensive.

The MacBooks are also great, but I don't like OSX that much, it looks like a kids operating system, all those animated icons and stuff, I really don't need that, and my main problem would be all those Windows only programs that I have to use, which I can't run on OSX, I know it can run Windows, but how well does that work for a computer that is not made for it?
    If you're bothered by graphics, then you might as well just use MS-DOS or some other CLI interface, because all OS are moving towards "animated icons and stuff."

Also, a Macintosh is built for Windows. No matter what Apple tells you, a Mac is just a pretty chassis over the same, generic Intel hardware you find in any Dell, HP or Compaq. Except it costs more.
    Yeah, I know, but would running windows on a macbook perform as well as a pc laptop with similar specs ?
    Of course, because there is no difference between the two. At all. Macs use Intel parts. So do Dells and HPs and Compaqs and eMachines, etc. Macs use the same graphics cards and wireless cards, etc. A Mac and a Dell with exactly the same specs and hardware will run Windows exactly the same.

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    Yeah, I know, but would running windows on a macbook perform as well as a pc laptop with similar specs ?
    When using Boot Camp: yes.

Leave a comment:

• wii
    replied

Leave a comment:

• icarusforde
    replied
    You can get programs (Paralell Desktops) that run windows and windows programs inside mac, and it works great. Used it once before, and if i ever got a mac, that would be first thing i would gladly shell out cash for.

Leave a comment:

• wii
    replied
    Still in doubt, I look at the HP Envy 13 again, which looks great, but it's expensive.

The MacBooks are also great, but I don't like OSX that much, it looks like a kids operating system, all those animated icons and stuff, I really don't need that, and my main problem would be all those Windows only programs that I have to use, which I can't run on OSX, I know it can run Windows, but how well does that work for a computer that is not made for it?

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    I've never had any trouble getting Wi-Fi to work when I use Ubuntu on stock Dell hardware.

Leave a comment:

• socceronly
    replied
    If that would be the case then Mac users wouldn't use Microsoft Office.. as they are competing companies.
    ------------
    Oh my. You just summed up all the idiocy in one sentence. The part I don't understand.

The companies are competing. NOT THE USERS.

Why people advocate and schill for a corporation because they think they bought their way into some exclusive club by purchasing something at best buy is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Ashbrook
    replied
    Originally posted by spiderweb View Post
    Really?? Debian is by far my preference for server use. I only went to Fedora on my desktop because they had drivers for intels newest crap. The main draw back to Linux is the driver support mainly video. If you have really new hardware you'll need to play around to get it working right but 3 months old and it should all work out of the box.
    Linux has terrible support for Wireless cards too (my one issue with Fedora). And there's not much you can do about that when you can't connect to the internet.

Leave a comment:

• jasetaro
    replied
    Originally posted by socceronly View Post
    I thought Intel made them.
    Nope, I don't know who builds the motherboards but they're designed by Apple... I doubt very much that Intel is designing and building motherboards using the Nvidia chipsets used in the current generation of MacBooks and the Mac Mini.

Leave a comment:

• Vicros
    replied
    The MAC and PC debate can go one for decades..just like it always has been, but now'a days its all about preference and personal feel and use for each. I prefer the MAC over Windows, for what i do..Im a web designer, and i work much better on the mac. There are more games for PC so thats why most of your pc gamers use just that.. a PC. But to each his own, and i like my MAC. Thats all there is to it really...personal preference.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Can't get more generic than Intel motherboards.
    Must be some old nugget of outdated informatiion from a mac zealot friend of mine.

Leave a comment:

• Jerz
    replied
    What? So because one product is better than another that is not competition?
    I run OS X because I personally prefer it to Windows. I run Microsoft Office because I prefer it to iWork. Does that mean they are not competing? No..
    I have a friend in telecom who works for T-Mobile, but uses AT&T. They are competing companies. I find it ironic.

Leave a comment:

• icarusforde
    replied
    Oh.. following that logic nobody in Microsoft should use Google, as they are competing companies That makes sense to me, but I am really intrigued to know if everybody inside Microsoft uses Bing
    Probably not, cause Bing sucks. :P

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X