X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jan Klerks View Post
    10 points in this debate, quite valid ones too: http://collegetimes.us/top-10-reasons-why-mac-sucks/
    There are maybe one or two valid points in that "debate." The rest are just hyperbole or grossly exaggerated falsehoods.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by Sergio68 View Post
    And wrong.
    Perhaps not for his own reasons. Just because you like it, doesn't mean its the right choice

Leave a comment:

• Sergio68
    replied
    Originally posted by Eqvaliser View Post
    No....

This message is to short.....
    And wrong.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Originally posted by wii View Post
    Because I love the hardware of the Macs, I'm looking into other options too of course.
    You should be looking at what you NEED. All the essential stuff that you need.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    You should just buy a normal laptop that has windows on it.
    Forget about buying a mac

Leave a comment:

• Jan Klerks
    replied
    10 points in this debate, quite valid ones too: http://collegetimes.us/top-10-reasons-why-mac-sucks/

Leave a comment:

• Eqvaliser
    replied
    No....

This message is to short.....

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Australia's not a huge Mac country... primarily Windows based users here. Mac is slowly growing over here... but a drop in the sand in Australia overall compared to Windows machines.

Leave a comment:

• seltaeb
    replied
    Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!!!

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    I just bought my third Mac. I got a mini which now gives me the iMac i bought last year, the G5 I've had for several years and the new mini. I still use Windows as my main OS but I find myself on one of the Macs more and more each day.

Leave a comment:

• Sergio68
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    if you have 2 grand to blow, get a mac
    If you have time to blow, get a windows

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisholland View Post
    As far as hardware goes, you'll end-up spending similar or more dough on higher-end wintops if you care about good industrial design and finish, and you won't get that nifty magsafe power plug and that precious back-lit keyboard. And if you're seriously into gaming, you'll likely be better-off with a desktop PC, than with any kind of laptop.
    You can get backlit keyboards on many Wintel portables. Dell offers them for a nominal fee on many of their consumer Studio models and a few small business Vostro and Latitude models.

Leave a comment:

• chrisholland
    replied
    OSX - hands-down by far the best operating system since 2001, and i've used most of them out there ... Solaris, redhat (Gnome Desktop), debian server, Windows NT4, 2000, XP, and yea Mac OS X.

A huge part of its allure to me of course is its unix underpinnings, being able to use true unix shells in multiple tabs for development and server administration.

Beyond work there are quite a few neat things about OS X which windows has yet to do well.

- One such little feature is the Address Book: It's both a program and an API for all applications and systems on your computer which have a concept of a Person. IM Programs, e-Mail, and the built-in PDA synchronization agents all leverage and elegantly augment your Address Book as you use them. Windows ties all this into Outlook, but the problem is Outlook doesn't expose an elegant API to its Address Book which other apps can leverage.

- One other big aspect is the elegance of the operating system architecture: User files are clearly confined in a user folder, Applications live in their own folder, and any system extensions belong in proper directories, although most apps simply leverage Apple's APIs. To give you an idea, the laptop i'm on is a recent macbook pro running the latest Leopard -- yet technically it's my original "2001 Mac OS X", as far as all my documents and applications are concerned, and even operating system preferences and settings. Let that sink-in for a second. I've done straightforward upgrades throughout every Mac OS X version since 2001. Before Apple offered a solid "Migration Assistant" from an old Mac to a new Mac, in the early years we simply used a free utility called "Carbon Copy Cloner" to do similar things. None of this would've been achievable without an elegant architecture.

- If you're a developer, or are interested in learning some programming in just about any language, Mac OS X is the platform of choice for any language beside C# + Windows .Net. The full Java SDK comes with Mac OS X, ruby, php,, python, perl, C (gcc compiler), and of course Objective-C + Cocoa APIs.

- The iApps that ship with OS X are always good fun - Pictures, Movies etc.

- Time Machine, the back-up system built into the OS

- The multiple desktops, spotlight search, expose' make everyday more usable/fun

As far as hardware goes, you'll end-up spending similar or more dough on higher-end wintops if you care about good industrial design and finish, and you won't get that nifty magsafe power plug and that precious back-lit keyboard. And if you're seriously into gaming, you'll likely be better-off with a desktop PC, than with any kind of laptop.
    Last edited by chrisholland; Thu 10th Dec '09, 11:11pm.

Leave a comment:

• wii
    replied
    Because I love the hardware of the Macs, I'm looking into other options too of course.

Originally posted by doggiebs View Post
    Why would you want to do this, in that case why not just buy a windows based laptop?

Leave a comment:

• pank
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    if you have 2 grand to blow, get a mac
    Really you should check before making posts like that (no disrespect intended towards you)....
    2 grand, common. Maybe if he wants the most expensive macbook pro or top of the line iMac. Not sure where you get your prices from. I have a macbook that runs very fast and I only paid just over 1k for it. Unless he wants to run video editing software or some real intense 3D programs the macbook or base model macbook pro should be fine. Not to mention you can get a killer iMac for far less than that.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X