Burn that Guy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn that Guy!

A thread for the Brits and a history lesson for the Yanks!

Today is November 5! Ok for most of the world this means absolutely nothing but for the Brits it’s a great excuse for lighting fires, launching fireworks and burning bits of straw dressed up in old clothes!

November 5 is what we call Bonfire Night/ Firework Night/ Guy Fawkes Night (depending! ). It celebrates the capture and execution of a man called Guy Fawkes who (along with some friends) tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament and kill the King a few hundred years ago.

He was caught and burned so in celebration of that burning we dress up flammable things like straw, call them a “Guy” and throw then on a bonfire (while watching fireworks and eating hotdogs).

So happy bonfire night to everyone! Remember to keep your pets locked up!

Re: Burn that Guy!

Originally posted by Confused Admin
    for the Brits it’s a great excuse for lighting fires, launching fireworks and burning bits of straw dressed up in old clothes!
    hehe, I think there is going to be a Bin Ladern day to celebrate the demise of the rat! Everyone can fire Cruise Missles at each other! hehehehheheheheh.

I actually made a Guy Fawkes and put Bin Ladern's Picture on it!
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

Oh great, here's another place to put this ...

Comment

I had to laugh last night when I watched a documentary on the gunpowder plot. It was on Channel 4 (did anyone else see it?).

Anyway after they had been discovered and Guy Fawkes was arrested they decided to make a last stand at some house (cant remember where!). They found that their remaining gunpowder however was damp and wouldn’t fire their muskets.

One of them had the bright idea ( ) that if they put the gunpowder by the fire the heat would dry it out!!

How stupid is that??

Comment

beyong stupid !

Comment

They all survived the explosion though!!

Well until they were tortured and executed of course..............................

Comment

Originally posted by Moggy
              They all survived the explosion though!!

Well until they were tortured and executed of course..............................
              and good old King James was shot 6 months later anyway!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X