VbDrupal VS vBulletin CMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Off-Topic VbDrupal VS vBulletin CMS

I want to add a CMS for a news site. Money is no object, but whats better VbDrupal or vBulletin CMS

I need something that will integrate with the forum but not too much, just login system and PM stuff, it needs to handle a lot of traffic and it also needs to be very modifiable.

Which one, or maybe you have another suggestion?
    vBulletin CMS
    75.00%
    VbDrupal
    17.86%
    Other
    7.14%

Sorry, 2x post.

Comment

Depends on how many man hours you want to put into that project. vbulletin cms is not drupal, the last one is far more advanced as a cms. However considering having a forum already and you need something that integrates with it, go with vbulletin cms. The vbulletin cms will be improved within time. If I would choose, I'd go with the vbulletin cms - but my community is my most concern.

Comment

I looked into vBDrupal a year or so back, and it is VERY powerful, and VERY complex. These really can't even be discussed in the same context of implementation complexity. I was going to have to spend some sizable money to get the design of vBDrupal to do what I needed it to do for my site, and I spent many, many hours just tried to get my arms around how to install it in a test instance and start to play with it. For all intents and purposes, there is no real learning curve for the vBulletin Publishing Suite. If you manage a forum today, then you should easily be able to handle implementing the CMS without too much difficulty.
        Mikey
        PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

I voted other as I used vBadvanced CMPS. I find the create modules and page feature pretty straight forward and easy to use. It didn't take long to add all the information I wanted on to the index page as well as create other pages with the content I wanted. It's free so if you have the time, it won't cost you anything to test it out and see if it will meet your requirements.

Comment

This is the first release for vB cms so you can't expect that it will have the flexibility or complexity of something that has been released 8 years ago and is now in version 6. IMO, for us vB admins, vB CMS is far more interesting since it is specifically designed to work with vB and will also start to grow once it's released. I think it's better to jump on that bandwagon, than to make it difficult on yourself having to lurn and integrate something that will take a lot of time, money and effort. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

The vb CMS has it's place. As does vbDrupal.

What are YOUR current requirements?

Drupal has a ton of extensions. Are any of them crucial for you?

Balanced against that - how important is a seemless user experience and promoting content?
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by WhatChaMissin View Post
                I voted other as I used vBadvanced CMPS. I find the create modules and page feature pretty straight forward and easy to use. It didn't take long to add all the information I wanted on to the index page as well as create other pages with the content I wanted. It's free so if you have the time, it won't cost you anything to test it out and see if it will meet your requirements.
                I use vBadvanced CMPS also, but at the risk of getting flamed... CMPS is not a content management system. CMPS lets you create a portal front end for vBulletin. A content management system deals with publishing issues... content, authors, publish dates, etc.. You can pull things out of the forum and display them on a portal page with CMPS, but it lacks most of the fundamental "Content Management" features that a Content Management System (CMS) requires. I use CMPS together with GARS to get to some of that, but it still is lacking key elements. GARS is closer to being a CMS than CMPS is in my view, and together they do give you a good setup... but its complex and requires a lot of customization to get it anywhere near where the vBulletin CMS appears to be at the first release. If IB continues to invest agressively in the publishing suite, this thing could really take off.
                Mikey
                PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

I'm not really looking for something that is just easy to setup, I have a whole tech team who can do anything, so well, yeah, but I like the idea of getting vBulletin CMS, but how much will upgrades be, and stuff, cus I don't want to have to spend a few 100 of upgrades every month.

EDIT: + I need help installing vBull! I've been re-doing my site, and I haven't been able to re-install it, MYSQL problems, if there's anyone out there that I could give me details too and they could install it for me, that would be amazing! PM me.
                  Last edited by macme.org; Tue 10 Nov '09, 8:22am.

Comment

Originally posted by mccollin View Post
                    I use vBadvanced CMPS also, but at the risk of getting flamed... CMPS is not a content management system. CMPS lets you create a portal front end for vBulletin. A content management system deals with publishing issues... content, authors, publish dates, etc.. You can pull things out of the forum and display them on a portal page with CMPS, but it lacks most of the fundamental "Content Management" features that a Content Management System (CMS) requires. I use CMPS together with GARS to get to some of that, but it still is lacking key elements. GARS is closer to being a CMS than CMPS is in my view, and together they do give you a good setup... but its complex and requires a lot of customization to get it anywhere near where the vBulletin CMS appears to be at the first release. If IB continues to invest agressively in the publishing suite, this thing could really take off.
                    I agree 100%. I do not see why you would get flamed for this.

Comment

The CMS in the vBulletin Publishing Suite brings two things to the table that other bridges, forks and integrations do not... A unified user management system and a unified style system. These are the two strengths of vBulletin as a forum and will be the primary strengths of the CMS as well.

With the infinitely configurable and easily extend-able permissions system within vBulletin, you can build any kind of membership site from a general membership site to a complex subscription site with multiple levels of users. The style system, especially with its new enhancements, allow you to literally present any kind of site in any niche with the design that you want. Both of these extend to the CMS, Forums, Blogs and all other subsystems. Collectively, vBulletin sites serve over half a billion users around the world. That is a testament to the power behind these systems.

Add to this the extendability of the software through plugins and its basic functionality and you are not held back. Now compare this to vBDrupal which is using an older model of Drupal that is no longer supported by the core developers or its plugin makers as well as the difficulties of truly integrating the style and user systems across the two platforms.

In the end it comes down to whether you want run and grow your website or program and develop your website. The vBulletin Publishing Suite focuses on the former. It allows you to run and manage your site without worrying about integration, programming or if it is all going to break on the next release.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I need help installing vBull! I've been re-doing my site, and I haven't been able to re-install it, MYSQL problems, if there's anyone out there that I could give me details too and they could install it for me, that would be amazing! PM me.

Comment

You can purchase professional installation from your member's area here on this site.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I would pick vB CMS solely for the fact it's built-in, officially supported and should be more than enough for most sites.
                            Forums

Comment

Originally posted by mccollin View Post
                              I use GARS as well, but that's not what the original question was about. I just offered up vBA CMPS as an option since the poster was clearing looking for some.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X