Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 - If You Got It, Do You Like It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    You can download Microsoft Virtual PC and have your own XP in a window if you need it. I haven't needed it for anything except running IE6 for testing purposes. Windows 7 also has XP mode which allows XP applications to run seamlessly on your desktop. I haven't found anything that I needed that functionality for though. Even old Windows 95 disks that I bought when my kids were toddlers still work without problems in Windows 7.

Anyway, have been using one version of Windows 7 since January and it is a large improvement over XP and Vista. I can't stand looking at the archaic and useless XP desktop these days. Have all my computers upgraded to the retail version except my own. It will take me several hours to reinstall the OS and all my applications as there is no upgrade path from the RC. Just haven't had time yet.
    You almost convinced me to upgrade to W7. Tigerdirect has a nice PC Kit offer with free W7 Home Premium and Quad Core processor for $499. Might buy it.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CODE=WEM2074SS

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Cunningham View Post
      My current system boots in just over 20 seconds, which is great compared to Vista!
      Absolutely. The boot, shutdown and more importantly, programs instantly load once you hit the screen, no having to wait for anything in startup to load first, it just loads instantly. I was amazed.

I have the ultimate on my systems, and still some more to upgrade yet... haven't had to use the XP mode myself, though no doubt something will come along. I am glad I missed Vista... a nice savings for me.

Henlyn... how good is that though? I had a similar issue with my SCSI, in that even though the DOS driver is loaded, because W7 loads its own virtual windows, I needed a windows version for it to recognise my hard drive to do a clean install... used an XP driver I had accessible with zero issues. Fantastic OS IMHO.

Comment

I've been running it for a while. Much better than anything else they've done. I love it.

Comment

Running the Windows 7 RC now. I ran Windows Vista up until my hard drive failure a month ago.

I loved Windows Vista, so Windows 7 is like icing on the cake for me.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

Mine should be here in the mail by the weekend. My son's copy has already arrived. These are free upgrades for our 2 new HP computers. Reading the instructions, it looks like it'll take me the better part of a day to upgrade one computer. Even longer, I'm sure, since I'm not a techy-type person.

Not looking forward to it.
            Peggy
            ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
              Windows 7 is basically the way Vista should have been... But I'm a very happy mac user now, running any Windows OS in Parallels just reminds me what a good choice I made by spending a bit more on something else. All it takes is the guts to try it.
              Thus, by extension, Windows 7 is also what Windows 1.01 should have been back in 1985. Mac OS X Snow Leopard is what Mac OS X Cheetah should have been back in 2001.

I've never had any issues with 95, 98, XP, Vista or 7. For me, Windows has always "just worked." I've been using Win7 since the PDC 2008 build leaked, and it's without question the best OS Microsoft has ever released. I'm really quite impressed with it, and every PC in my house is now using some flavor of Win7. (Came across some pre-activated copies of Ultimate, and got Home Premium and Professional via MSDNAA.)

There are a lot of really nice improvements in Win7 when compared to Vista... A much improved taskbar, new Aero features, better power management, etc. It's very much like the transition from Win95 -> Win98... Mostly the same product, but more matured and better.
              Forums

Comment

A concern i was recently put with is that "apparently" the drivers for my hardware, such as graphics card, sound card (I have quite a old 5.1 surround sound card) and a few other things would not be supported or compatible.

Does anyone else have this issue?
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Only few minor changes in Win7.

Comment

Im running Ultimate on one of my test computers right now and i must say it is nice. Although not much has changed from Vista. Since Vista SP2 was released you do not have any of the issues Vista had when it was first released.

I enjoy 7 for the look and some of the new features. But Vista SP2 to 7 not much (other than graphical) difference between the two.
                    ReaxtionStudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                      A concern i was recently put with is that "apparently" the drivers for my hardware, such as graphics card, sound card (I have quite a old 5.1 surround sound card) and a few other things would not be supported or compatible.

No.. Haven't found a single device in my household that isn't supported.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by NittoMOD View Post
                        But Vista SP2 to 7 not much (other than graphical) difference between the two.
                        Kudos. +2

Comment

I upgraded to windows 7 last week and am wery imprest how good it is.. i had vista home prenium, but vista is the most anoing thing i had in years and i hated so match..

now i upgreded to v7 64-bit home prenium and is fast and easy to use.. if you heve good pc wth a minimum of 3 gb memory rum get v7 you will not regreted..

Comment

Ran the 7 beta in a VM and found it super nice. Bought the retail version of pro when it came out and am staring at the unopened box on my desk right now. Just too much going on to perform a full upgrade at the moment. Maybe over the weekend.
                            Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post

Everything i have is supported, the only thing you need to check the antivirus you have you bee able to upgade to work for vindows7..

Comment

I use Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) and I have to say its the best operating system I have ever used and I have used loads including (Microsoft Windows 95 // 98 // ME // XP // Vista || Suse Linux 11).

The main features I like in Windows 7 are :-
                                • Taskbar pinning.
                                • Now it lets you uninstall programs (IE // Media Player // Media Center).
                                • Performance (It's not crashed on me yet!).

The only down side I have it wont run old games like (Dungeon Keeper).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X