X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grover
    replied
    Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
    It seems like every time something is improved something else is made worse.

I like the fact that the 'post headers' containing the time and post # have a better contrast and color, I like the fact the left postbit is a light color now. But why make the grey gradients at the bottom more like a black gradient? I liked them in grey. And I agree with the hover effect, it's not good here. And why is the rounded box replaced with a grey square box (box containing 'View First Unread' etc). I just don't understand these choices. But maybe it's all part of the process, I don't know.
    I agree that the grey boxes at the bottom are too dark now. There are now to obstrusive... but a thing I can live with seeing the other really great improvements in RC1.

Leave a comment:

• Lucas
    replied
    I don't know.
    Who does?

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucas View Post
    What's with the freaking colors changing when hovering over somebody's post, it's BLATANTLY annoying. Bad move.
    It seems like every time something is improved something else is made worse.

I like the fact that the 'post headers' containing the time and post # have a better contrast and color, I like the fact the left postbit is a light color now. But why make the grey gradients at the bottom more like a black gradient? I liked them in grey. And I agree with the hover effect, it's not good here. And why is the rounded box replaced with a grey square box (box containing 'View First Unread' etc). I just don't understand these choices. But maybe it's all part of the process, I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Lucas
    replied
    What's with the freaking colors changing when hovering over somebody's post, it's BLATANTLY annoying. Bad move.

Leave a comment:

• socceronly
    replied
    What is it that is wrong?

Leave a comment:

• cbiweb
    replied
    Originally posted by Grover View Post
    Well... actually I am still not impressed. Hopefully the Gold release can turn things around...
    It would be too late by then. Things would have to turn around in the next beta(s) or RC's.

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    This thread makes little to no sense now since so many changes have been made to the style since it was posted. I think it would be better to close it and allow for new opinions to be posted based on new user experience.
    Well... actually I am still not impressed. Hopefully the Gold release can turn things around...

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    This thread makes little to no sense now since so many changes have been made to the style since it was posted. I think it would be better to close it and allow for new opinions to be posted based on new user experience.

Leave a comment:

• deityx
    replied
    Originally posted by Quillz View Post
    First impressions are everything. It might be a beta, but people see the style, form their opinions and then rarely change them.
    I once saw Starcraft beta. It looked like total crap compared to what it was later. It's not important where I saw it or how, and it's not important that it might not be the best looking game. The bottom line is, beta differs from the final product alot in many cases (most cases to be more precise; or serious products). As for the LOOKS, for gods sake - one has the option to change the look of vBulletin in its entirety, assuming they know what they're doing. So I think, people should just focus on the technical aspects, features and similar things. Bugs will be fixed, voices are heard thus features will be added in time. Just be patient.

Leave a comment:

• Ingenious
    replied
    they have themselves just gone from vb to ipb. i'm hearing lots of bad things about vb atm and i'm hoping they change soon. apparently members and old timers are flocking away from here which can only be bad news
    I have to be careful how I phrase this, so as not to breach the forum rules about "bashing" other software, but here goes I'll try and be as factual as I can... I originally ran an old forum (Ikonboard, a perl based forum) and looked into moving to IPB about two years ago. I got no response whatsoever to my pre-sales email questions, yet vBulletin answered within hours, so I came to vBulletin instead. I have been very happy with it.

Recently, with 3.8 clearly heading towards end of life, and with no vB4 to see at the time, I also started looking into IPB and have been active there asking many questions. That was until my forum account stopped working, so I tried a password reset and that did not work. So I emailed their support and it bounced back. So I then called them (from the UK, not cheap) and their tech support would not help because I was not a licenced customer. They put me through to pre-sales, which was an answerphone, I tried calling back approx 10 times over two days during their office hours and always an answerphone. So I left a message leaving my username and asking if someone could fix it and email me. No response. No reply, no email. I also tried emailing their tech help email, this bounced back. Eventually, my account started working again, so I posted about this not entirely positive experience in their forum, and they didn't respond to that either.

What I guess I'm saying is two things. One, the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence - please don't let a handful of vocal people tell you otherwise. Two, I personally put a VERY HIGH value on customer service, this is worth more to me than a better feature set. vBulletin customer service is brilliant, in fact most of my issues have been sorted here in these forums, without even needing support tickets.

At the end of the day, all of the leading forum packages are good and there isn't a lot to choose between them in terms of features. What's missing in one, you can replace with mods, plug-ins or template changes. But having looked at IPB again, although I can appreciate the odd thing I really do like (attachments in PMs, dynamic resizing of IMG images), my presales experience was sufficiently bad - just like 2 years ago - to put me off, and I'm not going to make any rash decisions.

I do think a lot of the dissent here was because vB4 was "launched" without a tangible product to actually see, and also change is never easy (human nature being what it is!), and now we have a beta that is slightly quirky and buggy (yes I know, it's because it's a beta). I just get a very bad feeling about vB's competitors based on my direct presales experiences, yet come into this forum and there's LOTS of very helpful people standing by to sort out your problems. So the product here may be changing, and may need some work, but the service is still good.

Sorry I have rambled on, but I feel obliged to point out my experience with "the other side" was not a bed of roses as I think the saying goes.

Leave a comment:

• icarusforde
    replied
    That's why other people make the styles that you can download at vbulletin.org and then use on your board.

And the vB4 style is one of the best i have seen, that i would happily stay with on my board if i had no other choices

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Not everyone has the skill or money to change the stock forum significantly to make it more usable.
    My understanding is whatever V4.0 looks like will be the look of the v4 series.
    The more usable the stock forum software is, and the better it looks, more sales will increase, which in theory would be best for all of us using the vb software.

Leave a comment:

• socceronly
    replied
    Originally posted by icarusforde View Post
    Nope, i was hideously unclear there.

Most of the complaining is all about the cosmetics of it, like you said. :P
    LOL.

Good to hear.

Leave a comment:

• Jerz
    replied
    Originally posted by socceronly View Post
    I remember reading somplace that the whole thing was re written in OOP and will make future upgrades and module development easier.
    That was the original plan, but IB decided it would be better to rewrite it over the 4.x series instead of all at once.

Leave a comment:

• icarusforde
    replied
    Nope, i was hideously unclear there.

Most of the complaining is all about the cosmetics of it, like you said. :P

Leave a comment: