Is my buddy pulling my leg ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i like the "A+ hacker" title... in the network, we call them "morons A+"

someone able to tap into very secure systems are not showing their flaws... they are not your neighbour, they are so traced by the FBI that the day they open their mouth, the day after they are vanished from your country...

brave hackers like that are just big heads with no future...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by nexialys View Post
      brave hackers like that are just big heads with no future...

Ditto ! These creeps are super dangerous !! My issue is far more mundane ! I heard my buddy making a claim that I did not know much about ...So I found this forum and start seeking enlightment ...

_If my buddy's claim is true, I would have to consider other options rather than just go for Vbulletin, except someone here shows me otherwise .

Comment

security breaches in vBulletin are considered very seriously by the company... it's the first topic relatively to support and updates... if an exploit is found that could breach vB, in the next minutes you find 25 coders dedicated to lock that breach and release a fix or an upgrade regarding this... sadly you can not update on the fly so the clients have to do it on their own...

for what your friend talk about, i have no idea what he think that IP and usernames could lead to a breach of security, as he still need to crack any of these users password to be able to unlock their account, which could lead to nowhere if that user is not an admin... and actually, in the history of vBulletin, no exploit related to the hashed password was found true...
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

[QUOTE=nexialys;1811546]

Thanks for your insight !

1) I just read Vbulletin manual on IP addresses. If you are an admin or a mod , listing all users having the same IPs or finding IPs of members in a forum is a matter of one click of the mouse ! I tend to think , most likely, the IP poster my friend mentioned must have known someone in the Admistration team of the website .

2) I am still curious if he does not know any admin or mod , how can he find out all nicks having the same IP ? What methods he may use to do this ?

So far, I heard : he may get the web server log and time frame then manually check it out .

You guys have some other thoughts on this ? Please comment . Thanks ...

Comment

".. and actually, in the history of vBulletin, no exploit related to the hashed password was found true..."

I wonder if what happened to me a few months ago at a Forum managed by Vbulletin v3.8.1 qualifies as the first incident ? Here is what happened :

A day after I posted , I found out that my post was edited : someone inserted a photo into it ! I complained to the webmaster and got no reply !
            My interpretation is that my password has been breached (assuming no mod plays tricks on me ) ! That's the only way I could think to explain why the photo was found in my post without my knowledge !

Please comment .

Comment

Originally posted by linto View Post
              A day after I posted , I found out that my post was edited : someone inserted a photo into it ! I complained to the webmaster and got no reply !
              Perhaps the webmaster was the one who inserted that photo?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

in the next minutes you find 25 coders dedicated to lock that breach and release a fix or an upgrade regarding this...
                That is Microsoft,Nexi !

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

beishe8, i did not say 25000 coders, i said 25... the whole Jelsoft team... rofl

btw, from what i read linto, the only thing you want here is try to find a crack in the egg... we usually call this trolling. everything you listed here is not possible by hacking, but simply by owning a vBulletin forum or having access to the admincp...

it takes 30 seconds to install a vBulletin even a pirated/nulled one, and then start a community just to trace people's IP... no need to be rich or being a genius to do so... from IPB to phpBB to vBulletin these features exists and are not unreachable.

stop asking if this or that is possible regarding IP addies, this is completely pointless.

Comment

stop asking if this or that is possible regarding IP addies, this is completely pointless.

Thanks again for your thought .... Actually, I talked to my buddy last night, got the link to the website where he read about IP posting , check out the story out ! Here is the nutshell of what has transpired .

It started out as a heated arguments on politics between two members "A" & "B" . After a few days, "A" was attacked by a bunch of other nicks "C", "D", "E", "F" & "G" .
                    "A" posted insults and then in his signature showed one IP address + name of the Internet service provider which he claimed "B" , "C", "D" , "F" and "G" all shared . Apparently "A" wanted to prove that "B" created fake nicks to attack him !!
                    From what I read, this IP address may be genuine because "B" started crying foul and insulted more .

So much a story for saying I am trolling !! As I see it, this is a real life situation that may occur in any forum all the time . I just want to know , how this guy "A" can do it in a forum run by Vbulletin (i.e. assuming he has no friends in the forum administration) .

Please comment. Thanks
                    Last edited by linto; Sun 18 Oct '09, 7:55am.

Comment

So much information here that makes the IP (protocol) which is used via TCP seeming unsecured, and running rampant on the internet..

TCP/IP is a very secure protocol, we can't do much about software that opens its doors and says "here is "192.xxx.xxx.xxx" /Private "

As for the FBI, they hire hackers to find flaws in many things, some are forced to work, being caught doing illegal activities..
                      They are pretty much living on how much they already have made, in their 20/30's.. So I see a bright future for them..

(They use) to be referred to as a happy hackers when I was in University...So many ages ago!!
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by linto View Post
                        Please comment. Thanks
                        i can see right through you. even if others can't. keep fishing. say hi to your "friend".

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X