Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hessa11
    replied
    I'm not sure if platforms in vBSEO are counted.. Please help asap thanks!

Leave a comment:

• kushal
    replied
    Old thread, but just taking chance by asking if there were some guide to redirect vbseo url to vb URL finally which one can learn and implement?

Leave a comment:

• vbseo
    replied
    Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
    Hi nforums... I haven't bothered yet because Dec / Jan results are never accurate to the remainder months, as many people travel / holidays, etc, so the results are never defined. Dec 09 is less than Nov 09, and when you look at daily stats, basically around 21 Dec 09, the daily traffic dropped in half / third from the holiday period. The Dec 09 was on target to be higher than Nov 09 until 21 Dec, when holidays began. I can see this all the way through until Mon 11 Jan 10, where that 1/3 loss has now just all come back from holidays. I would only expect Feb 2010 to be a more accurate evaluation. I am now back to a daily average 1000 - 1100 visits. Add to this, this license is the one I upgraded to vb4, then moved a lot of existing forum information only content out into the articles, deleting the original forum threads. I did not change the forum URL's though, they are still using the 3.x default URL structure, not the vb4 structure. Add again that Google is about to do the largest update to the way their results are shown since 2002... I am not sure how accurate even Feb 2010 results are now going to be due to the Google change alone. I am just evaluating and waiting to see.

Google could favour me and suddenly deliver a greater amount of traffic in Feb, which whilst that could show it does well without VBSEO, it also has no bearing on anything other than Google changed their algorithm drastically on how they list results, and again, not accurate to the original position this experiment began.

I would still like to see someone do this with redirects, measure and post results, so we can see a more accurate reflection when 301's are in play.

My actual raw logs and Google stats reflect a far better outcome in all areas post-VBSEO than with VBSEO. I am not talking numbers, but talking targeted traffic. My average online was around 80 at any given time, where now I am hitting 100 - 110 average online. That can be nothing more than just growth over the last few months, it could be because I removed VBSEO, if I still used VBSEO I could have more. Really very difficult to tell such things with online marketing. Metrics fluctuate so much, it is difficult without a drastic change within metrics to determine a clear outcome.
    Agreed. It's very difficult to tell the difference with that many variables changing.

Long-tail traffic is not bad traffic. It certainly can be less targeted, but both traffic types are not mutually exclusive. So while long-tail + targeted traffic appear less targeted in average, the sum of both will exceed either.

Leave a comment:

• nforums
    replied
    My actual raw logs and Google stats reflect a far better outcome in all areas post-VBSEO than with VBSEO. I am not talking numbers, but talking targeted traffic. My average online was around 80 at any given time, where now I am hitting 100 - 110 average online. That can be nothing more than just growth over the last few months, it could be because I removed VBSEO, if I still used VBSEO I could have more. Really very difficult to tell such things with online marketing. Metrics fluctuate so much, it is difficult without a drastic change within metrics to determine a clear outcome.
    Excellent, numbers don't mean as much as success, so either way glad you're having it and it looks like it's working out just fine for you.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Hi nforums... I haven't bothered yet because Dec / Jan results are never accurate to the remainder months, as many people travel / holidays, etc, so the results are never defined. Dec 09 is less than Nov 09, and when you look at daily stats, basically around 21 Dec 09, the daily traffic dropped in half / third from the holiday period. The Dec 09 was on target to be higher than Nov 09 until 21 Dec, when holidays began. I can see this all the way through until Mon 11 Jan 10, where that 1/3 loss has now just all come back from holidays. I would only expect Feb 2010 to be a more accurate evaluation. I am now back to a daily average 1000 - 1100 visits. Add to this, this license is the one I upgraded to vb4, then moved a lot of existing forum information only content out into the articles, deleting the original forum threads. I did not change the forum URL's though, they are still using the 3.x default URL structure, not the vb4 structure. Add again that Google is about to do the largest update to the way their results are shown since 2002... I am not sure how accurate even Feb 2010 results are now going to be due to the Google change alone. I am just evaluating and waiting to see.

Google could favour me and suddenly deliver a greater amount of traffic in Feb, which whilst that could show it does well without VBSEO, it also has no bearing on anything other than Google changed their algorithm drastically on how they list results, and again, not accurate to the original position this experiment began.

I would still like to see someone do this with redirects, measure and post results, so we can see a more accurate reflection when 301's are in play.

Leave a comment:

• Sean James
    replied
    Removed VBSEO from all my forums late last november, using no redirects. my traffic is back to 1/3 now and still growing. Dont regret removing VBSEO at all.

Leave a comment:

• nforums
    replied
    I have been thinking about this for a while, and tonight I decided to remove VBSEO from my forum. Please, this is not a negative about VBSEO, nor do I want it to turn into such a thread, this is just my thoughts on my own forum and future vBulletin direction.

Years ago I believe such a product was essential to aid vBulletin with search engines, and it was... however; technologies have changed drastically with SE's and both vBulletin software itself has changed, and from a standard install I see no major issue with the software today that really tells me to pay another provider to tune the software further, because its not really essential any more. Yes, vBulletin still lacks some basics like friendly URL's and the ability to include the "nofollow" attribute out of the box, but I believe vb4 is certainly working towards being more friendly in some of these instances.

Knowing some of the coming developments from lots of reading here, I have decided to strip VBSEO out of my own forums in preparation to the newer version of vBulletin and run with their standard out of the box solutions. Sure, its painful to have all your URL's re-indexed and lose a little traffic for a short time, but its nothing overall in the scheme off things IMHO.

The more I read here and upon vb.org, I find it will be much easier to travel ahead with less reliance upon outside software and integration, and instead stay as close as possible to an out of the box solution, especially now vb are really stepping things up with content management and listening to users, implementing factors that are just expected from content mangement software of any kind, be it CMS, blogging or forum software.

I am looking forward to the new release and times ahead... and now no more extra fee's to another which I can contribute towards the VBCMS for all of my forums and future developments.
    Any chance of a monthly update, I know there are a lot of people watching this thread and you're right about at the 4 month mark so it should be interesting to see where traffic is at.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    His unique numbers may have gone down. But if his traffic is better targeted, and people are staying longer, and returning more. I'd rather have 10,000 unique/mo with return users than 100,000 unique which only view the site for 5 min before leaving.
    Same here.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by vbseo View Post
    Not all vBSEO reviews are submitted via our forums. In fact, most bigger success stories seldom stop by the forums. For one, here is one that is not in our forums - Darren Rose is one of the most reputable bloggers out there, and one of few who chooses to share with the world what works for him.
    His statistics and evidence are debatable to say the least. You cannot see his traffic beforehand but from what we *can* see his traffic was growing exponentially. The statistics don't seem to be doing anything than continuing the organic growth that was present prior to the plugin installation.

Leave a comment:

• anthonyparsons
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    although I don't see how you figure the traffic is more targeted now, maybe I didn't read your replies close enough.. either way, congrats on the progress.
    Hey Loco....

This isn't contained here or on the stats I have posted. Metrics provide far more visibility into user behaviour than any server stats program would. I use ClickTracks to analyse my raw log file, and I used Google analytics to measure accuracy against... as they both usually produce identical /near identical statistics. If one shows something way out left field, then I would obviously investigate that aspect. I was asked to post snapshots of some of the metrics, though declined above as I do not feel comfortable in sharing precise and detailed aspects of my statistics here. Server stats are basic and tell little overall vs. detailed metrics.

Basically as mentioned earlier, the uniques are less still, but my actual user bounce rate has declined drastically and my user on-site time has increased exponentially in combination. Basically... I was getting useless new traffic that obviously was not relevant to the actual subject (is what is basically be said from my detailed stats not shown here).

Originally posted by ekool View Post
    I can already tell you based on the betas/RC's that the SEO implementation of VB out of the box only gets about 10% of the SEO optimizations that VBSEO does.
    Hi ekool....

Please do not turn this thread into a anti or pro VB thread please. There are plenty of them in existence already, often they end up argumentative and closed. If you want to discuss such, please begin a new thread as this thread is based on an experiement I am performing, not whether VBSEO is a viable option or not, how good or bad it is, etc.

Originally posted by nforums View Post
    Recent changes in search engines have left vBSEO behind.
    Same as above answer.

The above is good.

This thread is not about pro or anti VBSEO, and this is why I am hesitant on such discussion in this thread. This thread is about an experiment on removing VBSEO without redirects.

We all have our opinions, and whilst all opinions are valid, the moment any one begins to argue for or against it, no longer is something an opinion but now turned into a right vs. wrong debate.

Please begin a new thread if you feel the need to debate whether VBSEO is viable or not. I don't want this thread closed, because I feel this little experiment will garnish results over the coming months and be more a source of relevant information for anyone who thinks about removing VBSEO in the future, ie. the effects off not using redirects.

I would honestly like someone who is going to remove it because they made an independent decision to do such, and are using URL redirects, to document their own finding as to whether any loss was ascertained or not as a result.
    Last edited by anthonyparsons; Thu 10 Dec '09, 1:23pm.

Leave a comment:

• vbseo
    replied
    Recent changes in search engines have left vBSEO behind. Maybe a year or three ago it was worth while, but go read their feedback forum, its filled with more negative reports and results then positive ones for the first 3 pages at least.
    Not all vBSEO reviews are submitted via our forums. In fact, most bigger success stories seldom stop by the forums. For one, here is one that is not in our forums - Darren Rose is one of the most reputable bloggers out there, and one of few who chooses to share with the world what works for him.

When was the last "vBSEO bought me a beamer" or "$1400 a day with vBSEO" thread you saw?
    These were not threads but articles created by us from real testimonials, and highlighted as marketing material. Perhaps we should do another round of articles today as those seem dated.

If vBSEO actually worked, and was as promised at SEO'ing forums, then the results would be consistent on every forum its installed on, its no where near consist and drilling it down to vBSEO contributing any help is impossible.
    vBSEO results (and SEO results for that matter) will never be consistent on every forum. vBSEO will improve your SEO, but it will not make you a better community builder, or select your forums topic, or create content for you. I think this has been made clear in the posts above.

"Link consensus" - pfft, dead. Canonical URL's (free mod available at vB.org, also wouldn't be surprised to see it included in vB4)
    *Application level* canononicalization is NOT the same as *meta level* canonicalization. It's perfectly described in the resource you have linked >> URL normalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Duplicate content penalty" - pfft its been shot down in the past and it was even shot down again recently in a video directly from Google
    "Duplicate content penalty" IS a myth, we don't claim it to be otherwise. Duplicate content *removal* IS desirable. Optimization is by definition "the act, process, or methodology of making something as fully perfect, functional, or effective as possible".

Meta tags don't even help SEO anymore: Google doesn’t use the keywords meta tag in web search
    It's ONE, of many things that vBSEO does. There is no harm in using them. If it helps with other SE's, it's our duty to keep them there.

"Keywords in the url" - Quote Matt Cutts "Very little help" Google’s Matt Cutts On Keywords In The URL.
    Again, optimization is "the act, process, or methodology of making something as fully perfect, functional, or effective as possible".
    • "Very little help" is *some* help
    • [("Very little help") x N] is N times "Very little help"

Leave a comment:

• badawidollah
    replied
    i am using vb4 sitemap
    and everytime i run sitemap i must add it manual because google can read /sitemap.php?fn= function

Leave a comment:

• nforums
    replied
    Because it make no difference how many different URL's you have, Google (the main internet search engine) can filter out the ones it doesn't need, or you can even tell it what to use with a canonical tag. vBSEO does a better job educating webmasters how to actually SEO their site (building back links and content) rather than actually SEOing the site. The thing is if people would spend 15 minutes a day searching for how to properly SEO their site, rather than trying for instant satisfactions, they'd probably not have vBSEO.

Recent changes in search engines have left vBSEO behind. Maybe a year or three ago it was worth while, but go read their feedback forum, its filled with more negative reports and results then positive ones for the first 3 pages at least. When was the last "vBSEO bought me a beamer" or "$1400 a day with vBSEO" thread you saw?

Things I've noticed abot vBSEO Are:

1. If you get instant over night success, vBSEO takes full credit.
    2. If you don't get instant over night success, its the crawlers fault for not crawling the site fast enough, give it 3 months and report back. (Don't forget the backlinks during this three month window) (ex: 1 - 2 3
    3. After 3 months if you still don't have good results, submit your site for a "review".
    4. Make suggested changes, and get told to wait another 3 months.
    5. Come back with still negative results, and one of two things happen here:
    a. Your thread gets ignored and falls off the page
    b. You're told to give it just a little more time, its working its magic.

If vBSEO actually worked, and was as promised at SEO'ing forums, then the results would be consistent on every forum its installed on, its no where near consist and drilling it down to vBSEO contributing any help is impossible. By the same token, saying vBSEO is doing more harm then good is also impossible. Unless you have previous metrics to go by such as this thread where a year worth of stats are provided, both prior to and after vBSEO.

if you want delayed results, which you'll never be able to contribute accurately to a product, and have $149 to spend, then by all means be my guest. Remember though, most of vBSEO selling points have been found to be bogus, and even Google Webmaster Blogs directly shoots them down.

"Link consensus" - pfft, dead. Canonical URL's (free mod available at vB.org, also wouldn't be surprised to see it included in vB4) SEO advice: url canonicalization
    URL normalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Duplicate content penalty" - pfft its been shot down in the past and it was even shot down again recently in a video directly from Google
    Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Duplicate content and multiple site issues

Meta tags don't even help SEO anymore: Google doesn’t use the keywords meta tag in web search

"Keywords in the url" - Quote Matt Cutts "Very little help" Google’s Matt Cutts On Keywords In The URL.

So really then, whats left? Having one link to a thread? vB4 is also starting to take care of that as well.

Leave a comment:

• ekool
    replied
    I can already tell you based on the betas/RC's that the SEO implementation of VB out of the box only gets about 10% of the SEO optimizations that VBSEO does.

I have no affiliation with VBSEO other then being a customer and the amount of things they do to optimize your site are staggering. The "SEO" url's by VB (while are a good thing) aren't near the same as VBSEO's..

Simply having text in the URL isn't enough. You need to make sure that the myriad of potential links to a thread (and post, and printable, and single post) etc are all the same to really make sure Google prioritizes your pages properly.

Just my 2c. I'll be sticking with VBSEO and giving them plenty more business as long as the product remains quality.

As an aside note, after I made this post, VB put me at this URL:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...=1#post1865541

That's the exact type of URL that Google will hate and think is "duplicate" content that is competing with your "true" URL to this thread. That's just 1 example.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    I am happy with that... here is Aug 09 and Nov 09... August being a full month untainted, as the change occurred in September.

August 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39428[/ATTACH]

September 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39429[/ATTACH]
    Your stats look great, thanks for the detailed documentation
    although I don't see how you figure the traffic is more targeted now, maybe I didn't read your replies close enough.. either way, congrats on the progress.

Originally posted by nwingate View Post
    Wow, I'll take that "long tail garbage" all day!
    some people always want something to complain/troll about
    I'm happy with any and all visitors

Leave a comment: