• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Hooper

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe
    I dont know if this is public info or not, but i dont think this will hurt...

This is direct from my XP training:

Windows XP must be activated again if:
    - The hardware changes significantly
    - The software registry or system files change
    - Reinstallation
    A large but limited number of reinstalls is permitted on the same machine and should work with most hardware changes. After several hardware changes, the differences may require the customer to call the MS Product Activation Center to explain what changed before activation is allowed.

Registration is voluntary and is the marketing portion where the customer’s personal information is requested. They appear linked, however registration is not required and is not a part of the product activation.

• This technology is aimed at reducing software piracy worldwide (the number of illegal copies of a product) as well as ensuring that Microsoft’s customers are receiving the product quality that they expect.

Will Product Activation stop determined piracy?
    Probably not, but it should make piracy more difficult

You can probly find out alot more info at microsoft.com/windowsxp/
    I've tested it already. I ghosted and burned my drives to a rom, reformated, added some new hardware, and reinstalled XP twice in one day just to see what would happen.
    Basically XP popped up the registration both times. But is was as simple as clicking on the link and reinitializing it online. No big deal. The problem I will have is if they do indeed have a limit as to the hardware changes I can perform. As I say, I upgrade alot so we will have to see how it goes. So far, no big deal. The new Asus A7V 266 E- Raid will be coming out in a week. I'll be swapping again soon.

If there ever comes a day that I change out my hardware and MicroSoft says, "You have gone over your limit, you must purchase a new software license", I will have a big problem with it as well as most of the world. They cannot tell a person that they cannot uprade all the hardware they want when purchasing a software license issued for one machine. Until this happens,
    no problems.
    Hooper
    Last edited by Hooper; Wed 31 Oct '01, 7:45pm.

Leave a comment:

• Joe

• Joe
    replied
    I dont know if this is public info or not, but i dont think this will hurt...

This is direct from my XP training:

Windows XP must be activated again if:
    - The hardware changes significantly
    - The software registry or system files change
    - Reinstallation
    A large but limited number of reinstalls is permitted on the same machine and should work with most hardware changes. After several hardware changes, the differences may require the customer to call the MS Product Activation Center to explain what changed before activation is allowed.

Registration is voluntary and is the marketing portion where the customer’s personal information is requested. They appear linked, however registration is not required and is not a part of the product activation.

• This technology is aimed at reducing software piracy worldwide (the number of illegal copies of a product) as well as ensuring that Microsoft’s customers are receiving the product quality that they expect.

Will Product Activation stop determined piracy?
    Probably not, but it should make piracy more difficult

You can probly find out alot more info at microsoft.com/windowsxp/

Leave a comment:

• Hooper

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by rockergrrl
    I believe you have up to 5 or 6 hardware changes in a 6 month period of time before you have to re-activate it again....
    Ya. that's basically what they told me when I called them. I really don't see much of a concern.

Leave a comment:

• rockergrrl

• rockergrrl
    replied
    I believe you have up to 5 or 6 hardware changes in a 6 month period of time before you have to re-activate it again....

Leave a comment:

• Hooper

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by DarkReaper
    I think the motherboard is one of the things that ALWAYS makes you get m0cr0$0ft's permission...
    I don't think it is. I know it is. I wouldn't think of it as asking permission. It is more like they want to know you upgraded is all.

Leave a comment:

• DarkReaper

• DarkReaper
    replied
    I think the motherboard is one of the things that ALWAYS makes you get m0cr0$0ft's permission...

Leave a comment:

• Hooper

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by klisis
    I don't want to sound picky but I really hate this "activate windows feature". Why do I have to report MS after upgrading my hardwares?
    Just the new "Big Brother Rules" . I don't see that it will be a real problem although I don't completely agree with the new practice either. I do love my Windows XP though. As long as they don't mess with me on my monthly add a new motherboard habit, I'll be ok with it.

Leave a comment:

• klisis

• klisis
    replied
    I don't want to sound picky but I really hate this "activate windows feature". Why do I have to report MS after upgrading my hardwares?

Leave a comment:

• Hooper

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by TheComputerGuy
    Now does that mean that I have to register my copy with Microsoft, because I mean I havent got on the net because of modem issues, so I have to register again with them??
    If you haven't already registerd the answer is Yes.

Leave a comment:

• TheComputerGuy

• TheComputerGuy
    replied
    Now does that mean that I have to register my copy with Microsoft, because I mean I havent got on the net because of modem issues, so I have to register again with them??

Leave a comment:

• Goldfinger

• Goldfinger
    replied
    I just upgraded from ME to XP and man this thing makes my machine fly i timed my boot up and from the time the BIOS started till i heard the Windows XP was only 20 SECONDS! now that is called speed . Im like a puppy here playin with all the new features.

Leave a comment:

• orca

• orca
    replied
    Originally posted by damicatz

I don't want to sound like an MS Fanatic and I'm not, most of the times I hate MS, but Windows XP is the first very stable consumer operating system. It's actually more stable than Windows 2000 and I know first hand. XP Crashes a lot less than Windows 2000 for me.

Orca, you don't have to "Ask" Microsoft to upgrade your hardware. The limit is 6 hardware upgrades per a 6 month period I belive before it asks you to reactivate it.
    To be honest, I updated Win2k Prof to XP Prof for a friend and I must admit that I was amazed. Although it "hanged" up during setup while configuring the hardware (actually, it wasn't a hang-up, it only took awfully long). Anyway, everything worked without running for new drivers. It still lasts a while till the system is up but then...

I know that it isn't a real problem with the activation. I just don't like to feel being supervised. I'm a bit touchy about that...

Leave a comment:

• klisis

• klisis
    replied
    I upgraded to winxp from win98SE. Yes, I was able to notice significant speed and performance increase.
    The only thing I dislike from this winxp is the "activate windows" feature.

Leave a comment:

• CJ
    replied
    I've got a stable and fast Win98 system (it does exsist!), and I'm low on cash so I see no need to upgrade. I don't think WinXP could be faster than my current Win98, and well my OS doesn't crash either. Only had 2 crashes in 4 months or so, both on the same day :s

Leave a comment:

• damicatz
    Banned

• damicatz
    replied
    Originally posted by orca
    I may get it if a students license is available. But I don't think that I really need to update my Win2k Prof. Especially I don't like the fact to "ask" MS when getting new hardware...
    I don't want to sound like an MS Fanatic and I'm not, most of the times I hate MS, but Windows XP is the first very stable consumer operating system. It's actually more stable than Windows 2000 and I know first hand. XP Crashes a lot less than Windows 2000 for me.

Orca, you don't have to "Ask" Microsoft to upgrade your hardware. The limit is 6 hardware upgrades per a 6 month period I belive before it asks you to reactivate it.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X