No announcement yet.

I like my XP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know if this is public info or not, but i dont think this will hurt...

This is direct from my XP training:

Windows XP must be activated again if:
    - The hardware changes significantly
    - The software registry or system files change
    - Reinstallation
    A large but limited number of reinstalls is permitted on the same machine and should work with most hardware changes. After several hardware changes, the differences may require the customer to call the MS Product Activation Center to explain what changed before activation is allowed.

Registration is voluntary and is the marketing portion where the customer’s personal information is requested. They appear linked, however registration is not required and is not a part of the product activation.

• This technology is aimed at reducing software piracy worldwide (the number of illegal copies of a product) as well as ensuring that Microsoft’s customers are receiving the product quality that they expect.

Will Product Activation stop determined piracy?
    Probably not, but it should make piracy more difficult

You can probly find out alot more info at microsoft.com/windowsxp/
    Bike Forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
      I dont know if this is public info or not, but i dont think this will hurt...

This is direct from my XP training:

Windows XP must be activated again if:
      - The hardware changes significantly
      - The software registry or system files change
      - Reinstallation
      A large but limited number of reinstalls is permitted on the same machine and should work with most hardware changes. After several hardware changes, the differences may require the customer to call the MS Product Activation Center to explain what changed before activation is allowed.

Registration is voluntary and is the marketing portion where the customer’s personal information is requested. They appear linked, however registration is not required and is not a part of the product activation.

• This technology is aimed at reducing software piracy worldwide (the number of illegal copies of a product) as well as ensuring that Microsoft’s customers are receiving the product quality that they expect.

Will Product Activation stop determined piracy?
      Probably not, but it should make piracy more difficult

You can probly find out alot more info at microsoft.com/windowsxp/
      I've tested it already. I ghosted and burned my drives to a rom, reformated, added some new hardware, and reinstalled XP twice in one day just to see what would happen.
      Basically XP popped up the registration both times. But is was as simple as clicking on the link and reinitializing it online. No big deal. The problem I will have is if they do indeed have a limit as to the hardware changes I can perform. As I say, I upgrade alot so we will have to see how it goes. So far, no big deal. The new Asus A7V 266 E- Raid will be coming out in a week. I'll be swapping again soon.

If there ever comes a day that I change out my hardware and MicroSoft says, "You have gone over your limit, you must purchase a new software license", I will have a big problem with it as well as most of the world. They cannot tell a person that they cannot uprade all the hardware they want when purchasing a software license issued for one machine. Until this happens,
      no problems.
      Hooper
      Last edited by Hooper; Wed 31 Oct '01, 7:45pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X