No announcement yet.

I like my XP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have RC2 (yes I bought it from microsoft, the preview program, warez is bad), it's really great

Comment

well the hardware is the key thing, such as right now my mdem will not work with XP, so I am using the "Crash every second 98" while I got my main manchine down...so that sucks . But I do love the login part

Surprising to me I could not get the RC to work which I got free from the office XP launch and had to go pay the upgrade fees and it install in under an hour

Comment

i thought nothing could beat win 98 ( as a home os ) but xp kicks its ass !!!!

keeping it short :-

xp will make other os's pee

Comment

Originally posted by mrlister
          my xp is a bit laggy. not when starting it up but in the task bar. i start internet explorer and i see the page. everything is fully loaded and then 5 secs later it shows it in the taskbar..

Howdy,

Yes that is one thing that is true. The hardware really counts with XP. I was running a stick of 128M Mushkin HDDDR dram with Win98SE. I found it to be much easier to get the stabilty along with speed with some new hardware. Isn't that the way it usually goes?

Now my office machine is loaded with 512K Mushkin HSDDR and an 1800+ Athlon XP on a Gigabyte 7DXR board.

You won't have to have all of this to run XP, that is for sure. But I wanted to be able to run multiple (say 7) local graphics program multisessions as well as having several Dreamweavers open at once also. This Multitasking environment is what I always wanted to have but crashed immediately in win98se. I could have never been able to achieve this before. The speed is incredible with newer hardware and as much ram as you can afford, but I could see it being abit doggy on say maybe a standard Pentium or Pentium II class processor let alone a cyrix or any AMD product prior to the Athlon classic.

I have been using Bills proggies since he started producing them. There was no graphical interface. Just the prompt and commands. Then windows every version since the first. ALL of them were junk, buggy, and not what we needed. However it was the best MS at the time.

I am really extatic about XP. Fact is, it is what WindoZ should have been since 2.0. But no hardware would have been able to handle it. So..... I'm pretty happy to say the least. I can see a clear cut direction to progress with XP and the two hundred bucks for the Pro upgrade is a drop in the bucket compared to the progress I see.

As far as Big Brother Bill seeing your hardware, well, I wasn't real happy with the fact either. I didn't like the installation and the key so I called Microsoft and told them it was a bunch of ****. They recorded it. Good. Then I called them back and talked to them for a half hour about how this works. I told them I rebuild my one machine twice a year and add new parts in between. I asked them if every time I upgraded my hardware if they were going to know about it. They said yes. I asked them if they would ever require me to purchase a new copy of XP because I installed new hardware a dozen times. They said no. They said they keep an eye on changed hardware and expect an explaination. Well, I still don't quite agree with what MS has done. But only time will tell how this really works. I install and rebuild more than anyone I know. I pretty much stay on top of Technology. Expensive but it is my hobby. So...... We'll see. But for now I am super happy with XP. It is getting real close to being just as good as

vBulletin! But not quite.

See Ya......

Comment

Im hating XP right now, theres freaking 200 people in queue for XP support pro's... I havent been able to play on the net all day today, im on break right now, thank you MS!

Other then that, the OS is awesome, i cant wait to upgrade my personal computer
            Bike Forums.net

Comment

My laptop is already running XP (really nicely) and all new machines that I put together get XP on them. My main workstation will go XP (from Win2000) as soon as I feel it's time to freshen up (usually about every 6 months)...

XP is great, and I even like the new UI

Comment

Dang..$200 a computer kier, where you getting that money from? Maybe more would roll in once vBulletin 2.2.0 comes out.....

JUST KIDDING!!
                Seriously! - The Definitive Home of All Things Serious
                Seriously! Forums

To recieve support on these forums, enter your username here.

Comment

XP is great. It's a real operating system. My Inspiron 8000 was worthless (it had the HORRIBLE WinME on it) until I upgraded to XP Friday night. Now it's the system I wanted when I bought it.
                  FWC
                  White Sox Interactive Forums

Comment

I was sick of XP about 3 months ago hehe lol
                    Board of the Month: November
                    Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                    Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                    vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Originally posted by FWC
                      XP is great. It's a real operating system. My Inspiron 8000 was worthless (it had the HORRIBLE WinME on it) until I upgraded to XP Friday night. Now it's the system I wanted when I bought it.
                      My Inspiron 8100 came with ME... (got it with ME because I had a spare Win2000 licence lying around to install over the top) and now it's running XP Pro very nicely... although I had to downgrade the BIOS because the latest Dell BIOS for the 8100 kills Speedstep completely, and XP really hates it...

Comment

Originally posted by Kier
                        My Inspiron 8100 came with ME... (got it with ME because I had a spare Win2000 licence lying around to install over the top) and now it's running XP Pro very nicely... although I had to downgrade the BIOS because the latest Dell BIOS for the 8100 kills Speedstep completely, and XP really hates it...
                        I put the latest BIOS on. I wasn't aware of Speedstep problems. I actually never unplug my Inspiron. It is truly a desktop replacement. I use my IBM T20 from work as my portable.
                        FWC

Comment

I put XP on my Inspiron 4000 and the cleartype thing really really makes that super xga screen look stupendous.

Ethan

Comment

Originally posted by fastforward

The other thing I need to figure out how to do is get rid of that stupid little puppy when I search for files! Arrghh! What were they thinking!?
                            Oh, I believe MS's next OS would be WinDisney! The puppy is their first step.

Comment

Originally posted by ethank
                              I put XP on my Inspiron 4000 and the cleartype thing really really makes that super xga screen look stupendous.

Ethan
                              Good point, Ethan. My super xga + really looks much better now. A lot of html used to look funky.
                              FWC

Comment

Originally posted by ethank

Ethan
                                Cleartype is the most amazing thing i have seen in a long time.

Being able to have antialiased fonts really helps! Took a while to get used to, but it does wonders for people with bad eyesight!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X