Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do newbies go to ask simple questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~kev~
    replied
    Originally posted by nurse_emily View Post
    Is there an area for newbie questions?
    Dont worry about being new to vbulletin, just ask your question. We were all new at one time or another.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Any hosting company that has the free time to do this .. isn't a good hosting company.

Time to change your passwords and move on.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
    To prevent it ,millions of users should not get some space from any host because their hosts could copy and sell their software.
    there is a difference between being hosted and give your license information to anybody... if the guy install your site, you also have to give him your member infos to access the install process... opening the door to any piracy.

it's not a day to day situation, but it can happen. if you have a host at 5$/month and he say he would install everything you need, i would suspect seriously his talent but also his will to charge you only 5$/m...

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by nexialys View Post
    it's easy to break someone's license, it's even easier to make a client loose his right to use the software... spread it on the web without deleting the licenseid, and tada... PirateReport will go against you in no time. proove that you were fooled now.
    To prevent it ,millions of users should not get some space from any host because their hosts could copy and sell their software.

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    hitmancode47, you seriously need to consider removing that quote of Steve Machol from your signature. Every-time I see you post something like now above, I keep thinking you have quoted Steve on something he's made in the same post. Twice now I've scrolled-up thinking were did he post that in this thread that you've quoted.
    Bit off topic, but ok. First time ive ever heard about that, perhaps you could have PMed me.

Quite a lot of people have post quotes in their signatures, i dont see how it can be a problem.

As for where it was quoted, it was from some post about an admin needing help. cant remember exactly where it is.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    it's easy to break someone's license, it's even easier to make a client loose his right to use the software... spread it on the web without deleting the licenseid, and tada... PirateReport will go against you in no time. proove that you were fooled now.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by nexialys View Post
    i would personally go against any host that install a commercial script like vbulletin "for free"... 99% of the time the guy behind the desk is more likely to copy your script and pirate it.
    What could he do with that copy? Sell it ? There are nulled versions of vB 3.8.4 on the market,freely available.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    i would personally go against any host that install a commercial script like vbulletin "for free"... 99% of the time the guy behind the desk is more likely to copy your script and pirate it.

Leave a comment:

• nurse_emily
    replied
    Thanks all, I actually am hosting it with a company that will instal it for free and even added the blog free of charge (I had to show proof of purchase of course)

all other mods, templates or fixes can be done for a small fee. I'm very happy with them. I can focus on HTML design and content.

Leave a comment:

• nexialys
    replied
    When you start with vBulletin, the http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html DOCS are a good place where to start. you can also request a professional installation to make sure your site is well installed. Once that is done, you can play with the machine and learn how to handle things one by one..

Leave a comment:

• R1lover
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    hitmancode47, you seriously need to consider removing that quote of Steve Machol from your signature. Every-time I see you post something like now above, I keep thinking you have quoted Steve on something he's made in the same post. Twice now I've scrolled-up thinking were did he post that in this thread that you've quoted.
    I agree, maybe VB can disable quotes in sigs.... I'm not sure why he would want this to begin with also....

Leave a comment:

• MovieHeretic
    replied
    Still learning the ins and outs but you can simply ask on the support forums and generally you'll get a speedy answer to your question.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied
    vBulletin is very hard to begin with, took me 2 weeks to learn how to do everything i do.

Most of the mods and extensions will come with an installation script which automatically integrates within your forum, others will install but you have to manually add the links to access it.

But as stated in the above post, your best bet is to setup a test forum and just play around with everything until you are happy with the results you get.

Leave a comment:

• sherrym
    replied
    VB can be very overwhelming to start. My best advise would be to set up a test forum and then sytematically go through all the options in the admincp. Takes a while, but this gave me a good understanding of the program and it's default features.

Once I got a grasp of the above, I moved to vb.org and started playing with adding mods/other features. Once I installed a mod in my test forum and liked it, I installed it on my live forum.

I'm still learning with VB, but it has been an interesting journey and fun along the way. Frustrating at times, but still fun

Sherry

Leave a comment: