What's your user's confirmation rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your user's confirmation rate?

I am wondering how many of you are requiring users to activate their account?

What's the confirmation rate on your site?

I found that on my site a pretty high number of all new registrations don't activate their accounts.

I mean, the confiration rate on my site is below 70%

Is this mormal? How can I increase this rate?
    'beta tester'

I do not use it.

I want to make it as easy as possible for people to join the community and start posting.

I guess if you have a pretty big board you could get away with doing it.
    http://www.ironmagazine.com - blog
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com - forums
    http://www.ironmaglabs.com - supplements

Comment

I only doing it as a way to verify their email addresses because I use the user database to sent site updates and I want to be sure that all emails are real.

Yes, we have a lot of registrations on our site and only about 70% are confirming. ALso many people complaining that they are not receiving activation code after changing their email address in profile.

Basically, I ended up with over 8000 unconfirmed registrations for the year.

I have just started emailing everyone in that group their confirmation codes with a message to click on it and finally become a full pledged member of our site.

It's a pain using the vbulletin's email script. By default it's set to 500 emails at once, but it times out even at 100 emails.

I set it to 80 emails per shot, so it will take me 100 "clicks" to send 8000. It would have taken less time to write a PERL script to do this mailing in one shot.
      'beta tester'

Comment

I strongly recommend using email confirmation when you start to pick up membership.

the reason isn't for sending spam, or anything else. I average about 40 new signup/day right now, and if they put in a legit email to sign up, then change it later to a false one, the load of bad email notifications on your server can pile up, plus the "no such user here" replies from wherever they put.
        It can eat up server space in a hurry.
        Webmaster:
        @forumz

Comment

Originally posted by Mitrofan
          It's a pain using the vbulletin's email script. By default it's set to 500 emails at once, but it times out even at 100 emails.

I set it to 80 emails per shot, so it will take me 100 "clicks" to send 8000. It would have taken less time to write a PERL script to do this mailing in one shot.
          That's the fault of your server, not vBulletin. I have ~10,500 members and it has never failed to complete the script, and I have never had to click. What version of vBulletin are you using? can I take a look at your site?
          Webmaster:
          @forumz

Comment

now i have between 90 - 95% confirmation rate ever since i

1. use confirmation email function
            2. use approve new members manually
            3. banned free web based email providers (1000s of domains banned) - only isp provided emails are accepted
            4. banned certain characters from username characters

i get around 100 - 150 new members per week
            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

After I emailed 2500 unactivated users, today 250 of them have clicked on the activation link finally.

Martin, how can you email 10,000 users at once from a control panel with just one click?

Your browser will surely time-out and I am pretty sure that there is a built in time-our for php process. I think it's 30 seconds or 60 seconds, you can change it in php.ini

I am using VB2.0.0 and email script from VB2.0.3

My server has plenty of RAM and 2 CPUs, so there is nothing wrong with the server.
              'beta tester'

Comment

i used e-mail confirmation for a while. i didn't have anyone confirm their account out of maybe 30 people. so i turned it off.

Comment

Account activation is a great feature. It assures that email addresses are real and you can use them to send your newsletters to your members.

I found that some people simply making mistakes when registering and entering incorrect email addresses. Others may delete your activation email before reading it, while some simply entering false email addresses just to register.

Allowing people to enter false email addresses to register is not much different than allowing unregistered users to post to your forums.

If you not planning on using member's email addresses for contacting them, then there is not much need to require confirmations.
                  'beta tester'

Comment

Originally posted by Mitrofan

If you not planning on using member's email addresses for contacting them, then there is not much need to require confirmations.
                    well there is if you want reduce the chances of spammers and trolls coming in
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

i get around 90% good members with the "password is sent to your e-mail" plus banning a few keywords.
                      - MrLister

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X