Windows 7 vs XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    Since I use windows7 RC my computer is slow as hell, also are some curious behaviors. Sometimes open tabs are disapearing from the taskbar.
    The advantages overall compared to vista are not worth a new OS.
    Try this link, as I have it on a P4 3.01 and it is the fastest loadup and shut down for OS I every had. I have Win XP Pro and will keep it until I get a retail copy of Windows 7. I am currently running Win 7 Enterprise (Ultim.)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/e.../cc442495.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
      Try this link, as I have it on a P4 3.01 and it is the fastest loadup and shut down for OS I every had. I have Win XP Pro and will keep it until I get a retail copy of Windows 7. I am currently running Win 7 Enterprise (Ultim.)
      Thanks for this link, I'll try it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
        Keep in mind though that it will boot really fast if you have no other software installed or a Virus scanner working in the background during boot-up time.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
          Keep in mind though that it will boot really fast if you have no other software installed or a Virus scanner working in the background during boot-up time.
          I have all the same software from XP loaded into Win 7 and it is still more then 75% faster. The only thing that differs is Anti-Virus software, as I now have M.S.E. (microsoft security essentials real time scanning) and that what has made the most differences. Actually I have more installed programs that startup after load screen then with Win XP. I was trying to see how much will longer it will take to load after each new installed software. I have it all loadup in under 40 seconds from power on to every program loadup.

Comment

• Sounds good then. what do you make of that MS Virus scanner. We can't use it in the UK yet. I was going to try to see how light it was on the system. But I'll just have to wait for the time being.

Comment

• Some off-topic posts and personal attacks removed.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                Some off-topic posts and personal attacks removed.
                You must really tire of having to do that...
                No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• I raised four kids. Good training ground for this kind of thing.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigwater View Post
                    Had a friend drop an old PC tonight, begging me to make it work again. Turns out the power supply was dead, so I stuck a spare in it and powered it up. BOOM Win 98 booted right in fron of my eyes and she was thrilled. I guess the only thing that really matters is what you're used to.
                    I had a great aunt who up until about a year ago ran a PC with Windows 95 on it. It was slow as hell, but hey, it worked, and that was the important thing.

It was a real nostalgia rush using a natively installed copy of Windows 95 in 2008.
                    Forums

Comment

• I think the O/S I'm most nostalgic about was Windows 98SE. That was the time when I was heavily into on-line gaming with the likes of the very first "Unreal Tournament", and I also played FreeLancer a lot on-line also for about 1 year or more (best on-line game ever). But after installing Windows XP my on-line gaming came to an end really. So looking back I had the best fun with Windows 98SE, if only because of the games I played.

I did used to find Windows 98SE quite stable too, apart from the memory leak problem it suffered from which slowed the computer down and required a re-boot to get things fast again. But for a FAT32 system not built around NTFS for stability like Windows 2000 was. I thought it was a very good operating system in it's time. And always ran well on the computer I used back then.

He, he, the days of Windows 98SE and a 17inch CTR monitor with a max res of 1024x768. And that was pushing it to it's maximum because 800x600 was the default.
                      Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 18 Sep '09, 5:40pm.

Comment

• On the Vista thing, Windows 7 is going to phase Vista out anyway. Many people feel it's what Vista should have been, but wasn't. And will most likely be keen to replace Vista with it. So the whole argument of XP and Vista is pretty muted really. Both are old O/S now that Windows 7 is out. And I think more Vista users will be wanting to upgrade to it, than XP users will be myself.

A person made a comment in this thread that people who call Vista have most likely never used it. I know a lot of people who were keen to upgrade to Vista when it first out, myself included. Most of them dropped back down to XP after using it for a few days. I even know people who have Vista on their laptops and hate it, and the only reason why they stick with it, is because that's what came installed on the machine they bought. So they just put-up with it.

When you think about it, MS have wasted no time in bringing out a Vista replacement. This must be one (if not the) fastest O/S by them to follow another one. I wonder why they've been so keen to do that? And if it might have anything to do with the general feeling many people have about Vista as an operating system.

Vista looks great, I'll be the first to admit that, it makes XP look like a dinosaur visually. But using Vista to get things done - is just a choir compared to using XP. It just makes hard work of everything.
                        Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 18 Sep '09, 6:48pm.

Comment

• Do you think Windows 7 is better than XP?

Do you think a 8 year old *software* introduced in late 2001 can be compared to something which is yet to be GA in 2009.

Its like comparing Windows 7 with Windows 9 after 8 years from now. Do you think you'd still want to use Windows 7 then (or maybe XP lol).

Again, there's simply NO reason to stay with XP unless you have a 2001-04 hardware.

Comment

• Again, there's simply NO reason to stay with XP unless you have a 2001-04 hardware.
                            Or prefer it.

Comment

When you think about it, MS have wasted no time in bringing out a Vista replacement. This must be one (if not the) fastest O/S by them to follow another one. I wonder why they've been so keen to do that?
                              Just like vbulletin released 3.8 so quickly after 3.7. vb 3.7 felt different from 3.6, which people at first couldn't get used to easily. They just wanted to optimize and polish it for ease and performance and thus 3.8 arrived. Infact, isn't this good? It makes us feel they care.

Vista has a completely new feel and everything new if compared to XP. People couldn't digest so much change in their daily lives at once. Plus Vista's hardware requirements increased quite significantly. Thus, they started criticizing it. Now Win 7 is more polished and improved with similar hardware requirements and almost same look and feel, but people are loving it even when its in its RC stage. Why? Coz they have got used to Vista, and now when they see Win 7 (polished Vista), they love it.

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                              But using Vista to get things done - is just a choir compared to using XP. It just makes hard work of everything.
                              Believe me, its all about getting used to. I (and probably you too) have used XP since it was introduced 8 years back. Would you believe when I first installed XP, I removed it within a week and installed 98SE. But later by time, I DID move to XP coz I had to. Same thing happened with Vista for me. I got my lovely Dell Studio 15 with Vista pre-installed and love every bit of it. I love those frequent delicious updates by MS and now can't even think of XP inside it. And yes, I am waiting badly for Windows 7.

Comment

I guess you could say anybody running a 12 month old computer with Vista on it, is running an old PC now. So maybe we should all buy new computers, seeing as they'll all come with Windows 7 installed shortly and not Vista. 12 months is a long time in the computer tech market anyway, things move on fast. So are you going to putting your old one aside for a new one with Windows 7 on it?
                                Nah just the ones that have XP on it.

I know many people like using XP but really once you get the service pack 1 for Vista you will never look back.

I was lucky to get my computer this time last year. It had Vista already on it. It's great.
                                Once the prices come down on Windows 7 and the service packs come out I will be on to them as well.
                                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                                Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X