Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you have planned for vbulletin 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRGTB
    replied
    No plans to use it, it's years away from being a stable enough product worth serious consideration (after the full re-write is complete). Not sure what version were talking about there. 4.3, 4.4 Not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Ashbrook
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
    All of my custom add-ons need rewrites, so that's the plan. Hopefully I can get them done by the time 4.0.2 comes out.
    Looks like I'm doing this a bit earlier than expected.

The other day I was doing prep work for the upgrade by converting one of my add-ons to PHP5 (the code is a year and a half old, and was coded using vBulletin Standards instead of my own) and in the midst of that, I managed to completely unset the $registry object within the add-ons core class, and nothing I did could get it back.

So, the rewrite is taking place now, and I'll just fix the code later to work with vB4.

Leave a comment:

• wantadmag
    replied
    I have decided to wait on developing my 2 different forums until the realease of VB-4. I figure buy the time I get the 2 sites setup meanning all admin settings etc... there should be an update to some bug fixes and some great mods out there available for VB-4. I am also still not clear on what all new features will be added so that is just more drive for me to wait it out this way I will be able to see first hand if I am going to need any extra scripts to run the front pages of the site. One thing I really wish they would add out of the box is the option to run classified ads in vbulletin. I know there are paid mods which I have one but they stink....lol for many different reasons but any way I will be jumping on it the first day it is realeased.

Leave a comment:

• pank
    replied
    Lot's of work once the Gold version is release

Leave a comment:

• Redseal
    replied
    There are some pretty cool ideas in here. I've decided to add google maps to some of the pages I want to make. I hope the widget feature will allow me to do that. I want a blog to be the main page, and I want my static content to be stored in pages. The forums will be just for foruming. All I want to do to the theme is add my logo and thats it, everything else should be good to go. I wish I could install it today so I can get it configured the way I want, or at least learn how to use the new system. The beta is going to be exciting to see the whole thing in action on those lucky enough to get into it.

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    Yea, can't say that I blame them. People have better things to do than fixing their mods for compatibility with a dozen 4 series releases that will change just enough code to make it necessary to go over all the mods every time to maintain compatibility. The most enthusiastic modders will do it, sure, but there aren't that many like that. I'm afraid the 4 series will create a big market for paid updates to old mods that won't get any replacements or updates from their original authors. :/

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by Gladius View Post
    I'll probably wait until the second large bugfix release before going anywhere near the 4 series given how much work it'll be converting various forums to that. It's also anybody's guess how many of the 3 series mods that I use in various places will be converted to 4 (and when).

I like the new planned features, but it's really still much too little on the user-end, so I'm hoping to see many more user-end features at least in subsequent releases.

So many things have been re-requested in the suggestions forum for years now that's it's really not funny any more.
    None that use templates for one (which is probably a majority).

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    I'll probably wait until the second large bugfix release before going anywhere near the 4 series given how much work it'll be converting various forums to that. It's also anybody's guess how many of the 3 series mods that I use in various places will be converted to 4 (and when).

I like the new planned features, but it's really still much too little on the user-end, so I'm hoping to see many more user-end features at least in subsequent releases.

So many things have been re-requested in the suggestions forum for years now that's it's really not funny any more.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    People who are expecting miracles from vB 4 are going to be in for a surprise. As noted by some others, it's going to be an evolutionary release, not a revolutionary release.

Message boards have ceased being the central focus of most sites since... a very long time. Today, message boards are merely a part of the whole "social networking" experience.

Obviously, vB 4 will be new, advanced and offer a wide array of features and functions, but at the end of the day, it's still just going to be message board software. Most people probably won't even notice it, they'll only see the content (or the lack of it.)

Leave a comment:

• MovieHeretic
    replied
    I'm planning to take it out for dinner and like totally respect it the morning after

Actually might have a go at converting another forum over to vBulletin, that should generate about 1028 questions for the harried staff to answer. I'm all about sharing.

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoPhotoShop
    replied
    I plan on updating from 3.7.0 and be done with it. no custom skin and few add ons.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    the only thing I have planned if updating or getting a new style

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Ashbrook
    replied
    All of my custom add-ons need rewrites, so that's the plan. Hopefully I can get them done by the time 4.0.2 comes out.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    Once the stable version is out, I will start beta testing it, work up a maintenance release diff package for my sites, and sandbox test upgrades and usability, etc.

Once version 4 feels stable, or version 4.1 is out and everything is where it was originally planned to be, we can throw one site after the other live with it. If an upgrade has been decided to be needed.

For 2009 the plan is to stick with 3.6.latest or 3.8.latest.
    I have to agree with you there... although I'll wait becuase a forum of mine is plugin tastic.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Once the stable version is out, I will start beta testing it, work up a maintenance release diff package for my sites, and sandbox test upgrades and usability, etc.

Once version 4 feels stable, or version 4.1 is out and everything is where it was originally planned to be, we can throw one site after the other live with it. If an upgrade has been decided to be needed.

For 2009 the plan is to stick with 3.6.latest or 3.8.latest.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X