Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you have planned for vbulletin 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you have planned for vbulletin 4?

The release of vbulletin 4 is right around the corner and we are all aware it will revolutionize the way most people run their websites. There will be no need for a bridge between a front end and the forums, as it will all be tied together like one vbulletin monster cookie.

What do you have planned for your websites? Are you going to be an early adopter and install it the first chance you get? Will you play it safe and wait a few more months for any big bugs to be worked out? Or, will you keep what you have because it isn't broken and there is no need for all the "fluff"? Do you have any other amazing plans for vbulletin 4? Maybe a new mod, some widgets, or themes?

I will be installing it the first day it becomes available for download and working on a way to structure my content. I've been planning it on paper for a while but need to see how the new system works before making a committment.

Either way I'm pretty excited to see what will happen here on release day.
    I love lamp

I will be using it for a new social networking site - which I currently have up in beta (vanilla forum) so will hopefully be day one for me!

I look forward to seeing the CMS!
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

hum, starting a mega master parenting forum... no coding for 4.0 yet, plans for vBulletin 10.0
      oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by Redseal View Post
        The release of vbulletin 4 is right around the corner and we are all aware it will revolutionize the way most people run their websites. There will be no need for a bridge between a front end and the forums, as it will all be tied together like one vbulletin monster cookie.
        I wouldn't go that far. It's certainly not going to revolutionise the way I run my forums. The features aren't drastically different, and the layout whilst a refreshing change is hardly revolutionary. I think this is more of an evolutionary release.

Originally posted by Redseal View Post
        What do you have planned for your websites? Are you going to be an early adopter and install it the first chance you get? Will you play it safe and wait a few more months for any big bugs to be worked out? Or, will you keep what you have because it isn't broken and there is no need for all the "fluff"? Do you have any other amazing plans for vbulletin 4? Maybe a new mod, some widgets, or themes?
        It would take a miracle for me to consider the CMS at this point. Such an obvious feature such as page revisions didn't even make the cut as far as I can see and when I'm managing content, revisioning is a must these days. In all honesty I'll probably give vB4 a miss. The amount of hassle it's going to be porting over designs is not worth the effort for what is a minor (but overdue) update. I may even take a look at IPB again (from a developer's perspective) but we'll see.
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I plan to use it as an excuse to both change my forum and main website's layout to the same general style, which I've been putting off due to the work it'd require to change it all again when the forums are upgraded. I have pretty high hopes for vBulletin 4 personally, the current style used by the vBulletin 3 branch is getting kinda old hat at this point in time.
          DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

It would already be installed if I had access to it
            http://www.szone.us | http://www.gzhq.net
            Twitter | Facebook | My:Hacks @ vBulletin.org
            Member of Kiwanis Club of Chatsworth

Comment

I am very excited about the upcoming release. By rewriting the underlying system, IB has created a framework that will allow for a much more robust web site to be built. Yea, maybe we'll have to wait until 4.1/4.2 to see much of that mature, but it's definitely more than just a pretty CMS system on top of forums software. We should also see faster release of modules that meet the community's interest than was possible in the past.

I can't wait to be blown away.

--Ed

Comment

Once the stable version is out, I will start beta testing it, work up a maintenance release diff package for my sites, and sandbox test upgrades and usability, etc.

Once version 4 feels stable, or version 4.1 is out and everything is where it was originally planned to be, we can throw one site after the other live with it. If an upgrade has been decided to be needed.

For 2009 the plan is to stick with 3.6.latest or 3.8.latest.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  Once the stable version is out, I will start beta testing it, work up a maintenance release diff package for my sites, and sandbox test upgrades and usability, etc.

Once version 4 feels stable, or version 4.1 is out and everything is where it was originally planned to be, we can throw one site after the other live with it. If an upgrade has been decided to be needed.

For 2009 the plan is to stick with 3.6.latest or 3.8.latest.
                  I have to agree with you there... although I'll wait becuase a forum of mine is plugin tastic.
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

All of my custom add-ons need rewrites, so that's the plan. Hopefully I can get them done by the time 4.0.2 comes out.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

the only thing I have planned if updating or getting a new style
                      -- Web Developer for hire
                      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

I plan on updating from 3.7.0 and be done with it. no custom skin and few add ons.

Comment

I'm planning to take it out for dinner and like totally respect it the morning after

Actually might have a go at converting another forum over to vBulletin, that should generate about 1028 questions for the harried staff to answer. I'm all about sharing.

Comment

People who are expecting miracles from vB 4 are going to be in for a surprise. As noted by some others, it's going to be an evolutionary release, not a revolutionary release.

Message boards have ceased being the central focus of most sites since... a very long time. Today, message boards are merely a part of the whole "social networking" experience.

Obviously, vB 4 will be new, advanced and offer a wide array of features and functions, but at the end of the day, it's still just going to be message board software. Most people probably won't even notice it, they'll only see the content (or the lack of it.)
                            Forums

Comment

I'll probably wait until the second large bugfix release before going anywhere near the 4 series given how much work it'll be converting various forums to that. It's also anybody's guess how many of the 3 series mods that I use in various places will be converted to 4 (and when).

I like the new planned features, but it's really still much too little on the user-end, so I'm hoping to see many more user-end features at least in subsequent releases.

So many things have been re-requested in the suggestions forum for years now that's it's really not funny any more.
                              Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X