handheld devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handheld devices

i'm really confused on which handheld device best to buy, palm, compaq,...

any thoughts?

thanks

palm looks pretty kewl. i saw it on t.v.

Comment

I've had a Palm Pilot for about 3 years - its been in a cupboard for the past 12 months because they are bloody useless things unless you really need them. You need to define "Best" a bit more, do you need infrared, large amounts of memory, support for free/shareware applications, MS Pocket OS or Palm OS, Internet access, spreadsheets...

Get your requirements and look around, someone must run a forum dedicated to PDAs Palm do have a very good reputation, but if its only a few addresses you need to store, shelling out 200+ for something your mobile phone can probably do - its not worth it.
      HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
      -
      Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Originally posted by Martz
        You need to define "Best" a bit more, do you need infrared, large amounts of memory, support for free/shareware applications, MS Pocket OS or Palm OS, Internet access, spreadsheets...
        Thanks for your post;
        well, for now i'm looking for something to read ebooks on, maybe with large memory.

i read about palm M505 ($449) it seems interesting, but not sure what is the difference between Palm OS and Windows CE...

Comment

i guess it is a waste o' money.

Comment

I use a Palm V since '98 and couldn't image how it was before
            Upgraded it to 8MB, installed a lot of software (Eudora Mail, Datebk4, AdressPro, Telnet etc.)

So I can go online via my mobile and read & send mail, telnet into any account if something's burning - just gives me peace of mind.

I always have my *complete* address book with me, doesn't matter if it is in Outlook or in the Palm - same data. Consistency = peace of mind, too

So: It depends on what you make out of it!

I think Windows CE is neat, but you pack all the PC problems kind of matters (upgrading, Mhz, Ram, Version 1,2,3, am-I-missing-something-feeling into your PDA - nah!)
            I prefer PalmOS - designed and tailored for the needs of a PDA.

I upgraded *once* to 8MB since nearly 4 years and that's all I ever needed until now.

If I have the choice I'd buy a m505, the writings about the "poor lit" display isn't correct imho - I used it for 3 days and loved it...

Basically it's up to you,
            -Tom
            http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
            German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

real computers are better.

Comment

If you can afford it, get a PocketPC with WindowsCE. A nice, color screen, I love it. But for most people, a simple Palm m100 (what I have now) does the job.
                Marc James
                Sports Central Beyond the Scores
                Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

if your that "on the go" type.

Comment

i have a Casio Cassiopeia A-11 with 6MB ram handheld which i used in university but don't use it much now ..
                    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

PALM all thw way!! (Palm fan here )

well it really depands on what u need. If yo want all the headachs of a computer then go PoketPC and the iPaq is the best..

If you want something simple and reliable then a palm. Now which palm depends on your budget and what you need.

If you go with a palm and need any help just drop me a line I would be glad to help out.
                      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                      *--------* (IN THE NAME Of ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL) *------*
                      ============================================================
                      =================== Turki M. Al-Ballaa =================
                      ============================================================
                      I am a Saudi, I am an Arab, I am a Muslim, I am a Human!!
                      @@ All Humans are one, the only difference is in [email protected]@
                      So peace and prosperity to all, may we all live in harmony.
                      Salam! Peace!

www.arabianoasis.net
                      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Comment

Aleikum Salam,
                        kaif halek?

100% agree!
                        cu,
                        -Tom
                        http://www.mcseboard.de/images/buttons/lastpost.gif www.MCSEboard.de
                        German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

I own and love a Visor Prism (color) and a Platinum.

I generally get 3 weeks on a set of batteries on the Platinum. The Prism color display eats a charge fairly quickly - but the batteries recharge quickly as well.

Why do I have two? I use the Prism when I'm in the office every day, and I take the Platinum on the road because of the long battery life. I travel half-way around the world regularly, and the Platinum batteries easily manage the flight with many hours of regular use. I read ebooks, play games, get my IMAP mail while traveling, etc.

I also travel with a laptop, but I rarely take it out of the hotel room. The Visor is able to handle my daily routine in most cases.

I have approximately 1000 contacts in the address book, and don't know what I'd do without the appointment book.

Good luck making your choice. For me, PocketPC devices are out of the question (I sync with both a Mac and a Windoze PC), but given the choice, I'd still go with a PalmOS device. 80% of the handheld market cannot be wrong.

-t
                          Tim Hewitt
                          myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
                          myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

I wish there was an online tool which would help you find a handheld based on what you want out of it...

My wish list would be:
                            - Color display
                            - Wireless internet ready (slot for CDPD modem)
                            - Ability to install the handheld version of AIM, as well as some form of SSH software (yes, it does exist )
                            - Grafitti/touchscreen with an optional fold out keyboard for data input

Under $1000 ;-)

Anyone know where I could look?

Comment

Originally posted by Stallion
                              I wish there was an online tool which would help you find a handheld based on what you want out of it...

My wish list would be:
                              - Color display
                              - Wireless internet ready (slot for CDPD modem)
                              - Ability to install the handheld version of AIM, as well as some form of SSH software (yes, it does exist )
                              - Grafitti/touchscreen with an optional fold out keyboard for data input

Under $1000 ;-)

Anyone know where I could look?
                              actually i came across the new ipaq 3850 which is being released next month
                              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Working...
                              X