Netbook - should I finally buy one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbook - should I finally buy one?

A few weeks back I got fed up with how slow my old IBM Thinkpad sometimes is. (It's a tremendous workhorse, great deal for the money, but built in 2001.)

So I started looking around at new laptops. Bought one, brought it home, found it greatly inferior to Thinkpad in a number of respects. But mostly it was just too heavy and uncomfortable on my lap! So I took it back.

Then I started looking around at netbooks. Very tempting. My needs are not too demanding, so it should be more than adequate in terms of horsepower.

After considerable research, I seem to have zeroed in on the Samsung NC10. It has gotten excellent reviews from both editors and users. It has a matte screen, which I prefer.

My main purpose, I suppose, for the present is just to be able to work in other locations - library, cafe, wherever.

So, shall I do it?

- - - - - - -

P.S. In my research, I came across a factor that makes a lot of difference to me, but that never seems mentioned in the reviews. Namely: elevation of screen. In my limited experience, a netbook screen that is a little elevated above the keyboard is far more inviting than one that is flush, at the bottom, with the keyboard. Why doesn't anyone ever mention this?

I'd wait a few more months for the next generation of netbook processors to come out
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I have the NC10 for a few months now and I really love it. Its non glare display is a huge plus. The successor, the N120, has a stupid glare display just like lots of the newer netbooks I've seen.

So looking for a netbook at this time, I would definitely get the NC10 again
      Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

I often wonder why people fall for the "glare effect". It's impractical.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
          I'd wait a few more months for the next generation of netbook processors to come out
          Dean, thank you for your reply. I appreciated you taking the time to make it. I'm sure your suggestion is right on the money, too. However, I just don't want to wait any longer. I have no portability at all right now, and I'm eager to get out and about more.

Also, you probably do belong on the cutting edge of technology, but I more rightly fit on what has been called the "trailing edge." I always wait for everyone else to pound the heck out of hardware, software, whatever, and then for the necessary improvements to be made before making my purchases. I'm always on a tight budget, and have to be very cautious that way.

Comment

Originally posted by mlx View Post
            I have the NC10 for a few months now and I really love it. Its non glare display is a huge plus. The successor, the N120, has a stupid glare display just like lots of the newer netbooks I've seen.

So looking for a netbook at this time, I would definitely get the NC10 again
            Thank you, mlx. I'm glad to have your validation of my research and taste.

Late last night (Tuesday), I did order an NC10 from an Amazon.com marketplace supplier. $352 + free shipping. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow!!! Now, that's fast.

My only regret is that I wasn't able to get a white one. They don't seem to be available anywhere, so I went with the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
              I often wonder why people fall for the "glare effect". It's impractical.

Actually, I saw that as something of a reason to order an NC10 now. They are already a little out of date, and who knows how much longer they'll be available? In another six months, it might be even harder to get a matte screen than it is now.

Comment

Hi,

I`m thinking about buying one, too. I`m going to use it to read private mail and ICQ at work and as I commute with a bicycle, my big Dell laptop is a bit heavy.

But I think I`ll rather go for a used 12" Dell Latitude D410. I owned the D400 until October 2008 and it was a great, extremely reliable and rugged companion. Compared to the netbooks it looks antique but I think it offers a better price/performance ratio (~ 150 EUR at ebay).

all the best,
                Sacha
                Thermomix, Rezepte und Küchenmaschinen

Comment

It really is up to you. Don't expect the performance on your netbook that you get on a standard dell laptop. The hardware is much lower, and you can't run at full speed and maximum brightness if you want to get the most out of the battery life.

As I said, new netbook processors will be coming out to replace the Atom soon, so it may be worth holding on, purely as it's a better investment.

Comment

I have a netbook and it's great for browsing, watching movies and travels, I have this one (non-glare screen and good build quality):

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product1002ha.html?n=0

Comment

I agree, it's really great for traveling, for checking your mail on the road, browsing, etc.

Hey and it's a nice thing to have PuTTY with me most of the time ... just in case Cannot really do something like that from my cell phone.

The battery life of the NC10 is pretty good too. I've had it running for 5+ hours. Not sure how many Dell laptops keep pace there. But sure it's not a full blown laptop and its hardware is kinda limited.
                      Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

I'd say get an iphone and wait until you get to a desk with a real computer if you really need it. They are just a fad right now.
                        I love lamp

Comment

Originally posted by Redseal View Post
                          I'd say get an iphone and wait until you get to a desk with a real computer if you really need it. They are just a fad right now.
                          To use an iPhone, don't I need to do business with AT&T or some similar monstrosity?

On the fad issue, I think you are only partly, or even slightly, right. I think there will end up being a range of sizes - from 8.9 to 10.2 to 11.6 and so on. Perhaps they'll ultimate reduce to three sizes. But smaller "notebooks" are, I think, here to stay. Too many people are loving them for them to disappear.

Comment

I using an HP Mini netbook now, I've had it for 4 months now. So far, it works really fine and good for me. Since it is very convenient to use and very net friendly.

I can bring it anywhere I want to, even in cofee shops.

It has an Intel Atom N270 processor, XP Home OS and works really good.

Last edited by Wayne Luke; Thu 27th Aug '09, 6:02am.

Comment

I thought about getting one of these. Unfortunately, HP as my vendor of choice has teamed with Verizon Wireless as their built-in 3G provider. My cellular company of choice, AT&T, doesn't have a good netbook selection. Now I know that I can buy the HP and use an USB 3G connector but it is an extra cost especially since the device will cost more without a contract.

The other issue is that I just bought my daughter a HP Touchsmart Laptop. It only has a 12.4 inch screen but its touch. It is not much larger than the 10 inch netbooks, runs Windows Vista/7, has a dual-core mobile processor, can hold 8 GB of RAM and comes with up to a 500 GB hard drive. Plus it has a 4 ounce DVD player with remote built-in. This will probably be my choice since over all it is only a few hundred bucks more than the netbook setup. Though I would have to get something like Mifi from Sprint because it doesn't have 3G built-in.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X