No announcement yet.

How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gave up on the free email services long ago. Use a real, honest to goodness email address from your ISP or your own server, and use a good preview program like Mailwasher which allows you to bounce messages back from the server as undeliverable. It keeps you from getting on lists, and helps remove you from the ones you do end up on. I get maybe five spam messages a week now, most all of them random hits from the 419 Nigerians (who all get a bounce back). All of the ***** pill and hot milf spam disappears as soon as the first bounce backs are sent. These guys are spending money to send spam to you, and if they're bouncing back as undeliverable they won't keep you on their list for long.
    Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
      You must be unlucky. I check my spam folder about once a week, and I've only ever seen one false positive (and I could see exactly why as well).
      Every time someone complains about Gmail someone else asserts that they "must be unlucky". Too funny. We should form a coalition of the Gmail-unlucky. My experience is even worse than Wayne's, and I know several other people with exactly the same feedback for Google. Not that anyone over there has done anything about it in all the years that Gmail's been available... eh. But we've been through this debate before; some people who are lucky enough to have no issues with Gmail seem intent on convincing those who do that they're the only ones.
      Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

When i first joined Gmail, you couldent signup with an account that you can get today, i had the invitation code system, where you could ONLY signup with the account code thing. Back then google mail was very good, i used it as my default for everything

But now, im reluctant to use it, i prefer using my own hosting, because at least then i know my E-Mail address isnt being sold to some agency to be input into spambots.
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by bigwater View Post
          I gave up on the free email services long ago. Use a real, honest to goodness email address from your ISP...
          I would not use an email address from my ISP.
          Moving to another ISP could be problematic.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Well I guess I'm sort of wearing blinders here since I don't have much of a choice for an ISP. I'm in a rural community and you can choose to get internet access through the only phone service provider, or not. I hadn't considered changing ISPs, because for me that's not an option.

I don't know how folks in the real world work. Do you change ISPs like you change your socks? The one time I changed ISPs up here it was because Alltel was bought out by Windstream, and they gave me a year to transition my email addy from @alltel to @windstream
            Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

I don't know how folks in the real world work. Do you change ISPs like you change your socks?
              No,I don't.
              Started with AOL Dial-Up. Changing to ADSL was problematic because I still had to pay AOL if I wanted to keep my email address.
              The ADSL provider became unreliable because of its unlimited plans.
              Change to another provider:their email service wasn't reliable.Waiting for 12-24 hours for an email in today's world is unacceptable .
              Change to my present provider: their email service is reliable but I already have my service from free email service providers and I have my own domain to receive emails.

The one time I changed ISPs up here it was because Alltel was bought out by Windstream, and they gave me a year to transition my email addy from @alltel to @windstream
              Should they be bought out again by someone else you are going to face the same problem: Have to send everyone on your list a notice of email address change.

Comment

I have my business domain that will never go anywhere as far as the email addys go (as long as I stay in business) and a year is plenty of time to transition my personal email if I get bought up again. I do have several free accounts... you have to have one to have yahoo and msn messenger services, and I have a couple of gmail accounts I've used for scam baiting, etc... but I consider all of those disposable accounts and don't give them out as a reliable way to contact me. I couldn't tell you when the last time I checked any of those disposable accounts.

Comment

and a year is plenty of time to transition my personal email if I get bought up again.
                  Just a fresh example why not use ISP's email:
                  http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...23&postcount=1

The above poster's email is from an ISP(Optus).

Comment

Do you change ISPs like you change your socks?
                    Im happy with BT at the moment, i pay for 6.5 meg and get around 5-6 meg.

Its the only ISP around here that has actually done what they say they will.

Virgin sucked big time, they said one thing and did completely opposite, example was they said it would cost no more than 10 quid a month, what do i find after a month? a 35 pounds bill, for internet. riddiculus
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                      Im happy with BT at the moment, i pay for 6.5 meg and get around 5-6 meg.

Its the only ISP around here that has actually done what they say they will.

Virgin sucked big time, they said one thing and did completely opposite, example was they said it would cost no more than 10 quid a month, what do i find after a month? a 35 pounds bill, for internet. riddiculus
                      BT's policy for data transfer is awful. They charge you extortionate amounts if you exceed your data limit. Virgin media are awful unless you get the unshaped traffic package. The best ISP I've had was UKOnline. Not a second of downtime in over a year, no traffic shaping and you have to download about 250gb (which is a hell of a lot, of course) before they ask you to slow down (rather than charging you, like BT).
                      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X