Questions and Answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions and Answers

I need a list of some good "Questions and Answer" to use with my forum. They have to be easy ones to answer, that just about any human will get right first time. Nothing difficult, and I'm not looking for math ones.

Here are just the two I can think of that are easy.

1: What is the colour of a banana - Yellow
    2: What is the colour of an orange - Orange

Yeah I know, I'm bad Which is why I need a little help for more.

Keep in mind that some that may sound easy like:

1: What do you drink coffee from - Cup

Could also be "Mug" for example. So keep different versions of the English languages in mind like (USA v's UK), and how they may call something by another name.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 5 Aug '09, 4:35pm.

You can assign different "correct" answers for the question, so Cup, cup, Mug, mug could all be correct answers.

Remember context and vernacular for the sake of foreign visitors if your site attracts international attention. It could be mug, beaker, demitasse, etc depending on where the person's coming in from... and those are just examples from English speaking countries. You have to make your questions as unambiguous as possible to avoid rejecting legitimate registrations.

"What color is an orange" is not a good question. You don't want the answer in the question itself.

And what's wrong with math questions? Anybody who's smart enough to turn on a computer can answer the question "two - 2 = ?" almost universally.
    Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigwater View Post
      You can assign different "correct" answers for the question, so Cup, cup, Mug, mug could all be correct answers.

Remember context and vernacular for the sake of foreign visitors if your site attracts international attention. It could be mug, beaker, demitasse, etc depending on where the person's coming in from... and those are just examples from English speaking countries. You have to make your questions as unambiguous as possible to avoid rejecting legitimate registrations.

"What color is an orange" is not a good question. You don't want the answer in the question itself.

And what's wrong with math questions? Anybody who's smart enough to turn on a computer can answer the question "two - 2 = ?" almost universally.
      I don't have the option to assign multiple answers to a question - just one.

I'm begining to think math questions may have to be the way to go to be honest. As there can always only be one answer, unlike these type of questions.

Comment

What is the 4th letter in this sentence?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

To be fair, Maths questions are problematic because computers find maths easier than humans do, so a spambot could easily be created to beat them. But try maybe stuff like 'Enter [word] as your answer below' or something.
          DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

To a degree you are right, but that is the reason for mixing text and commonly used mathematical expressions. Nobody said it was perfect, but no Q&A is. One day I'm sure they'll be a bot who'll take all the possible text expressions to create a dictionary and assign them to their respective number, then crack the math expression question automatically... but until then you have some time to think up questions that can't be cracked
            Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
              What is the 4th letter in this sentence?
              Thats a good idea, but don't you mean "word" and not letter. As letter means like "t" (a single letter) to us UK people. Instead of the word (which means full word) to me in a sentence.

I agree with the maths, I think they are too easy for bots to crack.

Comment

I meant letter ('t') but word works as well. Just food for thought. There's lots of creative things you can do.

What is the second to last word in this sentence spelled backwords?

Enter the second letter of each word in this sentence.

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  I meant letter ('t') but word works as well. Just food for thought. There's lots of creative things you can do.

What is the second to last word in this sentence spelled backwords?

Enter the second letter of each word in this sentence.

You've even lost me with that one

Comment

Enter every third letter from the word supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Sorry.

Comment

I suppose you could ask questions like this to (giving the answer)

How many wheels does a car have "20 or 4"
                      How many legs does a spider have "1 or 8"

Comment

Or (I'm on a role now). Yes and No answers

Does a spider have 20 legs. Yes or No
                        Will the vBulletin suite cost £1000. Yes or No

But then I guess bots only need to answer Yes or No

Comment

Well I think I have come-up with a good one, that is easy to add lots of quesions. And using bbcode to highlight the answers to choose from like this, so it makes it obvious what they are picking from in red.

Does a spider have 1 or 8 legs
                          Does a car have ten or four wheels
                          Does a bird have 5 or 2 wings
                          Does a horse eat grass or chocolate in a field

Seems like a good way to me, and you can mix numbers with words too. (four or 4) etc

Comment

I try to make the questions related to the site if possible too
                            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

The Capital City of Germany is Ber???

lin

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X