This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rogue In Our Midst

After much deliberation not to mention patience I have decided that it is my responsibility to make this public.

As a designer myself (albeit not a very good one) I take it upon myself to make sure that any site I build will work in all major browsers. I make it my business to know my clients market and ask the right questions, that's my job as a designer. I don't second guess or take my client for granted.

Unfortunately not all of us operate this way and I found this out, rather sadly, through a bad experience.

I contracted c-pr0mpt to customize my vbulletin board and I sent him off a check that he couldn't cash (he says) since it was drawn on a Scottish bank so I promptly sent him off a wire transfer. He said he would return the check which I haven't seen for about 10 days now ... (??)

To cut a long story short, he showed me a proof that I checked in IE and I approved and he installed it on my site and a day later I checked it in NN4.xx and it was murdered!!! He doesn't reply to my e-mails, gives me excuses in PMs here and is an all around total rip off.

Now I realize that the moderators may want to pull this message and that is entirely their perogative but I felt it necessary to bring to light a deceiver who uses these boards to advertise his services. I'd show you my boards but it's an adult site so let's just suffice it to say it's killed in NN4.xx. I was better off with it out the box, at least it worked then.

Cheers,

=RS=

sorry to hear you have problems man
    I to design for IE and not so much NS
    its all about what majority of users use mate
    thats the bottom line to me
    so I stand behind c-prompt, and his way of deisgn

my 2cents
    snyx
    MSN: [email protected] | MAIL: [email protected] | FOLIO: mholman.com

Comment

IMHO it is the client's responsibility to check the design in whatever browsers they want/need to support. At that point, you could've said "This doesn't work in NN4.x" and he could've either fixed it or you agree to break off the contract.

Comment

synx, I'm really sorry to hear that but I don't use my boards to play I use them as a business tool and by designing for a select group of users and turning away a good 20% (that's the internet standard of NN4.xx users) I am losing customers.

It's akin to opening up a shop and having a sign out that says no Geordies allowed! See where I'm coming from mate?

NN4.xx IS a major browsers and designing for NN6.xx at this stage is a waste of time since the browser is for all intents broken. It has major bugs that Netscape is only now trying to rectify. Look at http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21762

I'm not looking to stir anything I just think that it's a designers responsibility to make their clients aware of what the do and don't do BEFORE taking on a job. Now that's only fair eh?

Cheers,

=RS=

Comment

tubdogg, I DID tell him it wasn't working in NN 4.xx a day after the implementation and he said it wasn't his problem .... he didn't have the browser and he didn't support it. It's kinda hard to break the contract when I've already sent him $200 via wire transfer.

He doesn't answer my mail either .... go figure!

Comment

My personaly opinion is that all this should have been delt with up-front, before any designing was done. I usually design for IE, as netscape is very hard to design for, at least I find.
            Board of the Month: November
            Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
            Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
            vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Sinecure,

As I mentioned, being a web designer myself I did not expect that it wouldn't work in NN 4.xx or I would have discussed it prior to hiring him.

I make web sites work in ALL major browsers even if I have to sacrifice on using some great DHTML. That said, NN 4.xx is a major browser.

Comment

I think C-pr0mpt should have to finish it.... thats why you don't give out money until ur satisfied
                Last edited by Prolex; Fri 26 Oct '01, 4:03pm.

Comment

While it is kind of shady IMHO to claim to be a professional web designer and then say you dont support required design for NS, I will have to say that you really should have checked the site to make sure its how you like it in each browser you plan to support before you cut the check.

It's good that you left a note, maybe not for C-Prompt, but for others paying for web design. This is much like a car, you just look at the damned thing and drive off your gonna get stuck somewhere down the road.

Glance at it, look around, play with this and that. If C isnt on contract to you I dont really see where his responsibility lies in recreating your website after he has it in the books as done, but I do understand your frustration.

NS is a holy pain, but in your market it is needed I agree. There are usually fixes one can use, you may want to try some out. If you can't get C back on the job to finish it you may consider looking elsewhere. But remember to check everything over before you cut the check Good luck to you bro.

Comment

As I said before I'll take a look @ it free of charge...

Comment

Someone give Bane a prize. You must be the only one here that realizes my dilemma! No "self respecting" designer would be caught dead saying he or she didn't support a major browser and it is in fact shady practise to do so.

Paying only once the work is done is kinda difficult when you're working with something as specialized as a vbulletin customization. I was requested to pay up front and I'm a firm believer in trusting the devil till he's pitch forked me ... and that's exactly what happened. You live and learn I suppose.

Comment

I hope c-pr0mpt and you can come to some sort of aggrement and get things resolved, no one deserves to lose money
                        vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

I agree, too.

I think that if you're going to call yourself professional, you should act like one.

Yes, Nutscrape is definitely harder to code for, but if you're a professional, designing for professional sites, you better not be lazy about it and do things properly, which means making it compliant with both Nutscrape and Internet Exploder. Opera is optional, and make sure that it looks and operates reasonably well under the same OS's for Macs.
                          Webmaster:
                          @forumz

Comment

I aggree with Martin , I couldnt have said it better myself

I dont have a mac, but there are some at my school. So I always test my pages on a MAC at the school. Only problem I have had is sometimes the forms stretch wider then expected throwing tables off. But I usually get it fixed..

Comment

My pages are not tested on a mac.. I now feel very unprofessional Will someone donate me a mac? Please?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X