Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin used by Terrorist Supporters

Hi,

Came across this article in The Sun newspaper this morning (The Sun is the UK's most popular tabloid newspaper). If you notice the screenshot is actually from a vBulletin site!!

Just thought it was interesting :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2001371116,00.html

Ross

r u implying something?

Comment

Not at all!!

Sorry - didn't want to give the impression that I was implying anything!!

Just thought it was quite interesting - shows the scale and widespread use of the vBulletin forums.

And because Jelsoft insists on having that link at the bottom of every forum, they've advertising vBulletin on the terrorism-supporting sites.

Just kicked off a hint of irony for me. Anyway, this is a sensitive topic and I feel everybody looking at me now, so will shut up.

Comment

heh, pretty odd
        wonder if it's a legal copy? :P
        My open eyes see everything, and you see nothing. . .
        That forum

Comment

URL

Not sure if it was legal. Was rather hoping the staff may have a look at this - if they're renting the license that would be interesting. If they're not, and it's illegal, then the forums should be closed down?

MI5 posts terror appeal on Arab websites

Plea to people 'on edge of extremist communities'

MI5 has taken the unprecedented step of posting an appeal for information about potential terrorists on dissident Arab websites.
          Its message in Arabic has been placed on sites MI5 knows is accessed by extremists, including http://www.islah.org/ , a Saudi opposition site, and http://www.qoqaz.com/ , a Chechen site which has advocated jihad, or holy war.

MI5 wants to attract people "on the edge of extremist communities who are sufficiently shocked [by the September 11 attacks] to want to contact the agency", a security source said yesterday.

The message reads: "The atrocities that took place in the USA on 11 September led to the deaths of about five thousand people, including a large number of Muslims and peoples of other faiths."

It continues: "MI5 (The British Security Service) is responsible for countering terrorism to protect all UK citizens of whatever faith or ethnic group.

"If you think you can help us to prevent future outrages call us in confidence on 020-7930 9000."

The message on the islah site received 700 hits within 24 hours and attracted only 16 "vitriolic" replies, according to security sources.

They acknowledge that MI5's open attempt to tap a potentially useful market could attract hostile responses and cranks.

However, they said that since September 11, the number of calls on MI5's public telephone number has tripled with a higher proportion than normal - about half - described as "useful".

MI5, which so far has posted its message on just two websites, intends to place it on more of the 15 known to be used by radicals and dissidents.

But some of them have been shut down by the FBI.

MI5 officers do not engage in discussions or "chatlines" on the internet.

The initiative is designed to encourage people to call the MI5 number. The switchboard is staffed by trained intelligence officers who will ask those who appear to have genuinely useful information to meet an MI5 officer face-to-face.

The idea is to widen MI5's net of informers in Britain as well as encouraging "walk-ins" at British embassies where officers of the secret intelligence service, or MI6, are posted.

The Chechen site has been chosen because a number of Muslims in Britain are known to have fought in Chechnya.

There, security sources say, they "bonded" with sympathisers and supporters of Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaida network.

Comment

Re: Not at all!!

Originally posted by rawnet
            And because Jelsoft insists on having that link at the bottom of every forum, they've advertising vBulletin on the terrorism-supporting sites.
            Just to clarify, we require a copyright statement, not a link.

Comment

I think that anyone who lives in the UK and knows The Sun newspaper - they don't exactly have a great reputation for reporting the news acuratly.
              HP DL-380 G6, 2x E5520, 28GB RAM, 4x300GB SAS, VMWare ESXi
              -
              Unreal Tournament : Assault forums - irc://irc.utassault.net:6667 -

Comment

Hmm...

http://www.islah.org/vbb2/index.php?s=