This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin Private-Message Viewer - Copyright, Logo Art Legal Issues

I don't know where this most properly belongs, so I'm posting it here.

Ali Keshavarz has written a vBulletin PM Reader for reading and searching saved private-message files without doing any interaction with vBulletin software. Since it only works in Windows, I'm writing one for MacOS X.

I intend for it to be open-source, but I'm concerned about some possible legal problems.

What would be the best way to refer to vBulletin's copyrights? "Copyright (C) 2000-2009 by Jelsoft Enterprises"? Would it be a good idea to have a disclaimer that I have no official connection with Jelsoft and that this software has no official endorsement by Jelsoft?

As to logo art and icon art, I'm thinking of staying clear of vBulletin's official logo, because using it seems like a copyright violation and implied endorsement, and because it is not as familiar as vBulletin's name. However, I'm thinking of using the letters "vB" in some connection, like a page with big "vB" in it or a magnifying glass atop those letters. I hope that that will not be a big copyright problem.

Or should I call off this project because of copyright concerns?

That is an interesting app!
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

All your doing is reading an XML file, there is no issue with that imo.
      www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

vBulletin and its logos are registerered trademarks. You cannot use the word or imagery without written permission in your project in any shape. You would need to get written permission to use it.

http://www.vbulletin.com/go/sales.

I am closing this now because what you ask isn't really up to public debate. Without written permission, you simply cannot use the branding.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X