X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince
    replied
    Originally posted by Skeptical

I suggest against doing that. Some hosts have been known to f**k with you if you decide to move out. Just secretly move your files to another host first. When you are completely done, call up your current host and tell them you're moving out.

I said to ask the new host to move the files for you!

Leave a comment:

• White Chocobo
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince

Read this before you do: http://www.hostrocketsucks.com
    Well what this person experienced hasn't happen to me. So I don't worry about it...Actually though the first week with hostrocket there was a lot of downtime. But that's not happening anymore. I think right now only Host18 has been having problems lately. I'm on host7...I was one of the earlier customers.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince

If you ask nicely, your new host might do the transfer for you!
    I suggest against doing that. Some hosts have been known to f**k with you if you decide to move out. Just secretly move your files to another host first. When you are completely done, call up your current host and tell them you're moving out.

Do the same for your domain name. If your host controls it right now, change the contacts all to yourself first. When that's done, then you're ready.

Leave a comment:

• Prince
    replied
    Originally posted by MW[MWGN]
    The problem is, tibsun.com, my domain, is owned by my current host. Plus, my site has more than 500mb worth of files, and for a poor ol' 56k user like me, it would take me forever to transfer...
    If you ask nicely, your new host might do the transfer for you!

Leave a comment:

• thewitt
    replied
    Originally posted by MW[MWGN]
    The problem is, tibsun.com, my domain, is owned by my current host. Plus, my site has more than 500mb worth of files, and for a poor ol' 56k user like me, it would take me forever to transfer...
    As far as the transfer goes, don't transfer over your 56k connection, transfer from Host1 to Host2 directly. Create a tar ball of all the files on your existing host, and use a character-cell ftp program on either host to move the files over. 500M in a tarball (zip it up if you think you need to) will move over very quickly.

As for who owns your domain name, I'd work on changing that immediately - regardless of where you going with the site.

-t

Leave a comment:

• MW[MWGN]
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Prince
    replied
    Originally posted by White Chocobo
    Yeah just change hosts. Best thing you can do now.

Try my host out.

http://hostrocket.com/ Unless someone can think of a better one.

Read this before you do: http://www.hostrocketsucks.com

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    www.twilight-online.net

Leave a comment:

• White Chocobo
    replied
    Yeah just change hosts. Best thing you can do now.

Try my host out.

http://hostrocket.com/ Unless someone can think of a better one.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    well, you could alaways move yer site.

Leave a comment:

• Martz
    replied
    It could be any number of ways someone has gained access to your account, ftp or SSH isn't the only way to "hack" a server. People have suggested you move hosts, I would strongly recommend that you do as well - or at least make sure that your hosts have:
    • Applied many of the fixes to stop buffer overflow type hacks and core O/S updates.
    • php is upgraded to a recent and secure version
    • mySQL only allows access from localhost
    • Other services which may run on the same machine (IRC, eggdrops etc) are recent, secure and protected from yourself.

Steps you can take:
    • Use a secure client to connect to your server (SSH instead of telnet & secured FTP)
    • Change your password to at least 8 characters long and make sure it is a non dictionary word made of upper and lowercase letters and numbers
    • make sure your vB is upgraded to 2.0.3 or at least the sessions.php from 2.0.3 is used if you are still on an older version.
    • Do not give your details out again to other people who may have or need legitimate access to your server without making sure they keep things safe.

Nothing is totally secure, but you should be able to stop the llamas with these common sense actions. If your web hosts are negative about this or do not take this seriously, i suggest you do not spend 1 second longer with them and run away! Nobody needs a pain in the arse.

Leave a comment:

• MW[MWGN]
    replied
    My site is on a Linux® 2.2 multitasking operating system using Apache®. I can't reformat the drives or anything, I am not the server admins.

Is it possible to track his/her IP when he logged onto my FTP?

Leave a comment:

• Pilot
    replied
    In the UK, there is the Computer Misuse Act 1990.

You should change your login message to make it clear that only authorised users can use the system. Then report any further attempts to the Scotland Yard Computer Crime unit.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Did you re-format your drive and re-install the OS? What os is it on?

Leave a comment:

• TheComputerGuy
    replied
    Let me have your credit card numbers, I wont use them you can trust me

Leave a comment: