No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a Wireless Router ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat Suggestions for a Wireless Router ?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a wireless router within range of 60-80$. Can anybody suggest me some model and make. I am thinking about Linksys WRT54G2 atm.

Also, should I go for wireless-n technology. I know it is draft-n but still ?

Something specific that I should look for ?
    DD-WRT or Tomato compatible ?

Thanks

If you have a wireless-n card in your pc then yeah benefits of it are better range, less interference and greater throughput (so much better for transferring files between PCs).

Linksys is generally pretty good too.
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Yeah I do have wireless-n (backward compatible ofcourse) in my PC and I read a lot about its advantages. But as I said before, the wireless-n technology is draft and is yet to be approved in November 2009. So the wireless-n (draft-n) routers may not be fully compatible with all wireless-n devices.

So is it better to go for a wireless-g only, as of now? The price difference is significant as I see.

Can anybody suggest me a SPECIFIC MODEL AND MAKE of the device that I should think about buying ??

Thanks

Comment

You should get the draft-n technology. It will continue working with your existing hardware after the specification and since the developers of wireless routers are the ones making the recommendations it will most likely work with new hardware after November as well.

Doing otherwise would be like telling everyone not to use CSS 2.1 simply because it isn't a recommended standard yet.
        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sun 19th Jul '09, 1:08pm.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Linksys Wireless-N WRT160N (I think that's the model number) is probably the best router I've used. Though, if you plan on using DD-WRT on it, it isn't set for v2 or v3 yet.

Comment

I know it's past your budget, but I bought the D-Link DIR-655 wireless router a year ago ($130), and it's by far the best router I've ever had. Draft-N 2.0 compliant, has a really nice web-based interface (for firmware and router management) and is very small. All in all, it works great, and I highly recommend it.
            Forums

Comment

Linksys WRT54Gxxxx
              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X