X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harmor
    replied
    Originally posted by Quillz View Post
    Windows ME was more or less a "consumer" version of Windows 2000, despite the fact it was still based on MS-DOS. It was the third and final release of Windows 4, also known as the "Windows 9x" era.

A year later, Windows ME was succeeded by Windows XP, the first consumer release to be based on the Windows NT kernel.

Windows 2000 was the successor to Windows NT Workstation 4.1 from 1996, and was more or less a "business" OS, although it did see some use by so-called "prosumers." It, too, was succeeded by Windows XP in 2001.

WinXP was the first time Microsoft built an OS for both the enterprise and the consumers, and every release since then has followed the trend, with the exception of Windows Server releases.

Thank you Wayne Luke and Quillz.

Leave a comment:

• musclenexus
    replied
    I'm a Windows user and happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by harmor View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Windows ME, 2000, and XP came out so close to each other?

I know Millennium Edition was terrible but why did the bring out XP only a year after Windows 2000?
    Windows ME was more or less a "consumer" version of Windows 2000, despite the fact it was still based on MS-DOS. It was the third and final release of Windows 4, also known as the "Windows 9x" era.

A year later, Windows ME was succeeded by Windows XP, the first consumer release to be based on the Windows NT kernel.

Windows 2000 was the successor to Windows NT Workstation 4.1 from 1996, and was more or less a "business" OS, although it did see some use by so-called "prosumers." It, too, was succeeded by Windows XP in 2001.

WinXP was the first time Microsoft built an OS for both the enterprise and the consumers, and every release since then has followed the trend, with the exception of Windows Server releases.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Windows 2000 was a business operating system and Windows XP was a consumer operating system. These were combined in Vista with the multiple editions.

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    Can someone explain to me why Windows ME, 2000, and XP came out so close to each other?

I know Millennium Edition was terrible but why did the bring out XP only a year after Windows 2000?

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Windows 7 RTM "Final" Build will be build 7600.16384.090710-1945 unless there are very small remark changes before tomorrow "time stamp, or comment changes for example"

It's Done!! OEM's with have it in a matter of weeks..
    Retail stores October 22nd.. Office 2010 to Follow!!!

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is holding a keynote tomorrow to confirm this Information to the public, even thought the information was released, no official statement has yet been made ...
    Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Mon 13th Jul '09, 2:21pm.

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied
    Windows 7 Sound's like an awesome operating system, but as for Vista/XP what are the MAIN benefit's from W7?

Leave a comment:

• Lizard King
    replied
    Windows 7 is amazing . I never had bootup problems also. It runs so smooth. I keep a game open on background so i can switch and play anytime i want , usually keep photoshop open , have komodo , editplus online all the time. I have multiple shell windows for each server i manage online. Outlook works in background so i can be notified anytime i receive an e-mail. Skype and windows live is always on. There are other programs such as winamp , tweetdeck running on pc nad never have slowness problems. My system works perfect.

On my servers i prefer centos and for personal linux usage i sometimes use fedora sometimes use ubuntu. Between these two i prefer fedora probably because it was the first linux OS i used.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
    I already had a copy of ubuntu from way back, ill have to dig it out and wipe the dust off.

As for fedora, found the download, boy im in for a wait at 4.5KBPS download speed (Even though i run on a 6Meg connection :S)

And the word "Free" operating system, i doubt you would know how much ive been looking for something like that no licenses etc

Edit:

Just looked at the screenshot you may want to censor out your vBulletin license number its on the folder on your desktop.
    Slow DL? did you try torrent (Torrent is legal, it's the contents that could be illegal, though not in Fedora's)? or other mirrors?

Hmm sensor the number.. why ? If I was to sensor it or something, I may end up looking suspicious knowing my luck

Their IS a license..

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

And could be others.. HOWEVER. All are free, and you can distribute modify use etc. Normally if you leave original credits :-)

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied
    I already had a copy of ubuntu from way back, ill have to dig it out and wipe the dust off.

As for fedora, found the download, boy im in for a wait at 4.5KBPS download speed (Even though i run on a 6Meg connection :S)

And the word "Free" operating system, i doubt you would know how much ive been looking for something like that no licenses etc

Edit:

Just looked at the screenshot you may want to censor out your vBulletin license number its on the folder on your desktop.

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
    Does Linux contain a GUI? (Graphical User Interface, Like XP Load up & Menu's)

Where can i download it from? and know of any good screenshots of the OS?

Thanks!
    Yes it has several GUI's. Depending on which you prefer

xfce.org
    kde.org
    gnome.org

As for where you can download it... Their is tons of distributions. I mean tons.

Look here: Linux.com

&

distrowatch.com

http://fedoraproject.org (My prefered)
    http://ubuntu.com

and the choice is yours :-) Just remember, Linux is free, as in Freedom.

Though note that in Linux, generally all needed software is in a repository, so no searching the net for programs :-)

oh and one more thing:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Read that first. If you decide to switch to Linux, it may be frustrating at first, and not all things may work, but as you get more used to it, the better you learn to do stuff. You may want to read up and stuff on it prior to installing it though.

PS: My desktop:
    http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7...reenshot1z.png

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied
    Does Linux contain a GUI? (Graphical User Interface, Like XP Load up & Menu's)

Where can i download it from? and know of any good screenshots of the OS?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JakeS
    replied
    Well as for the question in OT (Original title)

I use 0% of windows. Meaning, I don't have any computers with windows..

And no. I'm not a Mac

Yup I use GNU/Linux, now I'm probably going to get flamed for this but my personal view is:

For what I need, for what I do, for what I use etc, I have absolutely no need for windows, and it always fails to do exactly what I want it to do, however. GNU/Linux is perfect for me, runs perfectly and does everything I need it to do. :-) so IMO Linux is the best for me. Though I use Fedora, not *buntu. Plus, it saves buying a new licence every time you change your PC -.-

PS: My boot up time is around 30 seconds, or depending what I want it to start up with it's 40. And eh, I've had my install now since FC10 (I had to re-install, main FS corrupted. Previously FC6 upgraded constantly through to FC10 (As Per each release)) and it's now running FC11

Leave a comment:

• Cole2026
    replied
    Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
    I usually defrag my hardrives about 1 a week, I always thought defraginging your hardives help keep them in good shape.
    Not really. Generally the reason that files are fragmented (that is, in pieces) is because the OS or the file system can more effectively use free space on the hard drive. When you are defragmenting, you are moving the pieces of those files closer together on the hard drive head. This reduces the amount of spinning and seeking the hard drive does, and as such I believe could have a very minimal impact on hard drive longevity (but not much).

I have not defragmented in well over a year. I'm running my OS on a 10,000 RPM drive though, and this allows for seek time to be pretty fast, which may be why.

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied
    Um.. i think so yes. and i only had MSN, Skype and XFire to boot on startup Had the same on vista (Did an experiment) and XP was faster.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X