Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you on Facebook?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are you on Facebook?

    Yeah there's a very old thread for this, but I didn't want to get in trouble for bumping an old thread


    I find Facebook is becoming more and more important in terms of networking, both personally and for my sites.

    So, are you on Facebook?

    My Facebook
    RHM's Fan page
    Peggy
    ~ normal is overrated ~

    One Buzy Mama!

  • #2
    yup, I have a page for personal use but also a fan page..

    Photography Fan Page


    feel free to become a fan

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop View Post
      feel free to become a fan
      Done!

      Yes I use Facebook but only for the personal side of it at the moment (link in sig). I'll likely use it further in the next few months though.

      My partner has a group for her driving school business but it's still in it's infancy. So if anyone in the Bolton/West Manchester area of the UK needs driving lessons...
      Vote for:

      - *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
      -
      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
      - "Quick Route" Interface...
      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

      Comment


      • #4
        no I dont use facebook for that simple reason that they are using my information for their benefit.

        1. They sell my information to advertisers
        2. They are allowed to sell my photos in commercial purposes
        3. You cannot regret anything on facebook. i.e. private messages /photos /videos etc cannot be deleted, everything is soft deleted in the db, and can be reconstructed again
        4. You cannot delete your accont - same as #3
        5. Nothing is private, eventhough you mark your profile as private, it's still possible for people to get information about you that you thought was only for your friends

        it feels like skynet is taking over !!
        My site
        www.coolservice.dk

        Comment


        • #5
          I use it to promote my site, but that's the only reason why I use it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dreamer81 View Post
            no I dont use facebook for that simple reason that they are using my information for their benefit.

            1. They sell my information to advertisers
            2. They are allowed to sell my photos in commercial purposes
            3. You cannot regret anything on facebook. i.e. private messages /photos /videos etc cannot be deleted, everything is soft deleted in the db, and can be reconstructed again
            4. You cannot delete your accont - same as #3
            5. Nothing is private, eventhough you mark your profile as private, it's still possible for people to get information about you that you thought was only for your friends

            it feels like skynet is taking over !!
            are you serious about 1 & 2 ??? how is that legal? can you point me to where that is documented ?

            Comment


            • #7
              I doubt this is true.
              Peggy
              ~ normal is overrated ~

              One Buzy Mama!

              Comment


              • #8
                When I uploaded photo's after joining for the first time, you are shown an agreement which you agree that Facebook can use your images as they see fit (if I remember right). Or words pretty much to that effect! You really should "take the time" to read the fine-print before putting a tick in any boxes, accepting everything in a flash. No use crying over spilt milk later, they do actually warn you first!
                Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 30th Jun '09, 9:20am.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been using Facebook since early 2007 and up until a few months ago I was an avid user. I got lots of my friends to join, telling them how great it was, how much better than MySpace it was, etc.

                  Nowadays I find that logging onto Facebook is more or less a chore. The endless redesigns have turned it into an elegant MySpace more or less. For example, I can't look at my news feed without seeing 5 or 6 quizzes like "Which Michael Jackson song are you?", "What piercing should you get?", "What Transformer are you?" It gets extremely annoying because I don't need/want any of this stuff to connect with my friends. The good thing about the news feed is that you can hide applications that you don't like. The bad thing is that each of these quizzes is a separate application, therefore I have to manually hide each and every one of them. The other option is to hide the person posting the quiz entirely, but I don't want to do that and risk losing non-quiz items that interest me.

                  Another example would be that picture meme that was going around Facebook a couple months ago. I can't even remember how many times I had to untag myself from those pictures where friends tagged "the shy one," "the smart one," etc. And then there was that "25 Things" note and other notes. Blah blah, just a bunch of crap that no one cares about.

                  I will still defend Facebook as being infinitely better than MySpace, which is riddled with disgusting code and even more disgusting profiles. But each and every day I find that Facebook has something else that bothers me. I'm not so much concerned about the privacy thing because I recognize that anything I put on the Internet I do so at my own risk. What concerns me is that Facebook used to be a great medium for connecting with friends and now it's turned into a breeding ground for these pointless quizzes and memes.
                  Twitter

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yep, I do.

                    If you really wanna add me, then search me.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      yes I am
                      Brandon Sheley
                      vBulletinSetup Fan Page

                      feel free to add me or become a fan too

                      ps.. I'm not concerned with privacy, get off the net if you don't want anyone knowing about ya
                      -- Web Developer for hire
                      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                        yes I am
                        Brandon Sheley
                        vBulletinSetup Fan Page

                        feel free to add me or become a fan too

                        ps.. I'm not concerned with privacy, get off the net if you don't want anyone knowing about ya
                        well its one thing about privacy and another thing being allowed to sell my work.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                          yes I am
                          Brandon Sheley
                          vBulletinSetup Fan Page

                          feel free to add me or become a fan too

                          ps.. I'm not concerned with privacy, get off the net if you don't want anyone knowing about ya
                          Or use your brains and don't add "personal information" to Facebook you don't want others to see. Nobody is bending your arm up your back to add it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop View Post
                            well its one thing about privacy and another thing being allowed to sell my work.
                            I became a fan of your page and sent you a pm regarding your url
                            http://www.facebook.com/username/
                            for others that don't know, if you have a fan page with 100 fans, you can get a pretty url like I have on this page
                            http://www.facebook.com/TransformTopeka
                            Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                            Or use your brains and don't add "personal information" to Facebook you don't want others to see. Nobody is bending your arm up your back to add it.
                            exactly
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I need alot more fans on my fanpage to get my pretty url.
                              Peggy
                              ~ normal is overrated ~

                              One Buzy Mama!

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X