Where to find compatible webcams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find compatible webcams?

I want to get a webcam for our home computer (it's a dell) and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on finding a compatible one, and any tips of making sure I get a decent one!

Well for a while I had the webcam go plus by Creative

I found it really good and the quality was awesome. It came with good software for starting up, however I didn't opt for using the software, rather I used some I found on the net.

Its really up to you which cam you go for, but I know that webcam go plus was fairly cheap and portable. I know intel makes good webcams as well, they have been testing a new technology for webcams that will soon be out on the market.

Hope that tidbit of info helped
    Board of the Month: November
    Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
    Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
    vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

If you are looking to do web-conferencing of some sort (so using the webcam for active communication rather than just taking snapshots), then Microsoft's Netmeeting works a treat. It is also well integrated with MSN messenger, so that may be worth looking at. I think that most webcams use a common interface (TWAIN?) so almost any readily available webcam from a mainstream manufacturer will work with Netmeeting.

I personally use a Videologic Homecam, but I also know that the Logitech offering is good.

John
      John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

Originally posted by John
        If you are looking to do web-conferencing of some sort (so using the webcam for active communication rather than just taking snapshots), then Microsoft's Netmeeting works a treat.
        Well, if you consider using the webcam at home so my husband can see the baby during the day while we're at home, I guess that's web-conferencing

I know, I know -- I'm a sap (and fortunately a soon to be WAHM!)

Comment

Yeah, netmeeting is very good with webcams, as the frame rate is fairly good. If you have XP it has intergrated a new softare that is better then netmeeting, I must say it is much better
          vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Me2B,

Check this out: http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...7-1461873.html

I recently bought a Logitech Quickcam Web and it is nice, although I don't have great use for it, currently. I have heard the 3Com HomeConnects are GREAT, but 3Com discontinued the line. You may be able to find one on Amazon.
            Marc James
            Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
            Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

Carrie,

I have a Logitech Quickcam Express (came free with my DSL order). And I'm running WinXP - and all the drivers were already there.

There's a program called Webcam32, that will update your homepage by updating stills via ftp (you determine the frequentcy).

There are also a half dozen websites that offer the ability to have a public or private streaming video site. I can't think of their addresses at the top of my head. But these ones you'd have to pay for -- not expensive really - Like $10, I believe... Those sites also have a ability to produce voice as well as live chat as well.

I can get back with you on the specific sites, if you'd like.

Just about any computer is compatible to handle a webcam. Even my crappy Gateway 333mhz, 96mb P.O.S can handle one (though you wont see my face in front of one).

Tonya

Comment

Thats the probram I used, webcam32

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X