Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would vbulletin forums still function if all jelsoft servers go down forever ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would vbulletin forums still function if all jelsoft servers go down forever ?

i'm curious what would happen if all the vbulletin servers and associated stuff were to shut down ? would all forums still work ok ? i guess one thing is that the (c) notice at the bottom wouldn't be updated each year.

what else ? i assume we would be able to log into admiccp. 'cause it's fact that every time we log into it, jelsoft gets a ping and sends the serial and who knows what else. so i'm wondering what happens if the contact can not be made - and for a long time.

don't bother with answers like "they're too big it will never happen" or suchlike. i'm simply curious if the forums would come to a halt or keep going albeit with possible minor annoyances.

(happy 100th to me.)

If the Jelsoft servers were offline, all vBulletin forums will continue to operate. You would even be able to log into the Admin CP and the copyright would update every year.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      ...and the copyright would update every year.
      it's obvious i meant anything related to the vbulletin "business". any and all servers or infrastructure in any part of the world under anyone's control that is in any way attached and/or affiliated with vbulletin forum software.

can vb be run on a private intraweb that does not ever connect to the internet for example ?

i suppose the date updater thingy can be a server side request which updates from the server the forum software is on. is it ?

Comment

You can run vBulletin on a server with no connection to the Internet whatsoever without problems. There may be a slight delay when you load the Admin CP but it will load. The year in the copyright is taken from the date of the server vBulletin is running on and doesn't need our servers to work.

The only thing you'll lose is the Latest Version notice.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          The year in the copyright is taken from the date of the server vBulletin is running on
          Really ? Never knew that
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Originally posted by Paul M View Post
            Really ? Never knew that
            You didn't really think it'd be harcoded in did you?

The devs don't have to update the thing every year, and just as good, the date tastes of strawberry, not last year's milk which has gone off
            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
            vBulletin Hosting and Services
            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Yeah, but what if the servers are hit with an EMP like from the Matrix?
              shout street
              willful stupidity

Comment

I didnt know that everytime we log into the AdminCP that Jelson recieves a ping with our customer numbers (For people that are licensed of course) learn something new each day
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

It is not a ping it is an IFRAME with a version checker
                  @[email protected]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X