Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New redesign and Google rankings. Static or Wordpress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by pank View Post
    I'll look into the comment in the head. I added that fairly recently and I've had the issue before that.

I'll use more <h1 tags for keywords too.

Thanks guys

Still not sure whether to start from scratch using Wordpress (not sure if it will totally blow my search ranks, any input on that would be great) or just do a redesign with all the links the same but use more CSS, etc.
    Don't use more than one h1 tag, if you want to have emphasis on what the main heading is trying to say What you use to power your site has no bearing upon your ranking whatsoever. It's the content and the number of links to that content that matter.

Leave a comment:

• mkernel
    replied
    Originally posted by Gray Matter View Post
    Should it really matter how large the H1 font is? All that's important is that it is properly placed inside an <h1> tag. Google should ignore all CSS except that which tries to deceptively hide content that it wants credit for in its Google ranking.
    I noticed you said "should" and that's an issue - nobody really knows. We know that Google is often able to figure out when display:none is being used to manipulate rankings - how much of a leap is it to think they might also scrutinize font size?

But have a look at his site - what other reasons can you come up w/ for not ranking higher?

Leave a comment:

• Gray Matter
    replied
    Originally posted by mkernel View Post
    Maybe, but the comments don't appear on the higher ranking page of the two he has ranked.

Also, you do rank #7 for the term "skins for vbulletin", which is what's in your H2 tag for the ranking page.

I've heard it suggested the Google can read CSS, and if that's the case, it could be that you aren't getting credit for your H1 tags on your home page because the font is no bigger than any other font on the page. And smaller than your H2. Not to mention the content inside that tag is pretty long and filled with stop words.

You've got 4 million+ backlinks, so you aren't hurting there....

That's all the digging I can do for now. Good luck.
    Should it really matter how large the H1 font is? All that's important is that it is properly placed inside an <h1> tag. Google should ignore all CSS except that which tries to deceptively hide content that it wants credit for in its Google ranking.

Leave a comment:

• Razasharp
    replied
    Google generally likes wordpress/drupal sites

Just make sure your content to code ratio is good, and that it's as semantic as possible. Then get good quality inbound links.

Leave a comment:

• KW802
    replied
    Bob, are taking advantage of submitting a sitemap to Google?

Leave a comment:

• mkernel
    replied
    I haven't done a specific test, but my experience has been that Google is now extremely fast in spidering and ranking established domains. I once made a format change and added a few pages and within 2 hours the pages were ranking.

I think if you 301 your old pages to new, switching to Wordpress shouldn't result in more than a very short term loss of rank.

I don't know about adding more H1 tags - you should really only have one on a page, and make the font size appropriate for the weight of the tag.

But I look at a few of your competitors and I see terrible use of heading tags and they are still ranking above you.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• pank
    replied
    I'll look into the comment in the head. I added that fairly recently and I've had the issue before that.

I'll use more <h1 tags for keywords too.

Thanks guys

Still not sure whether to start from scratch using Wordpress (not sure if it will totally blow my search ranks, any input on that would be great) or just do a redesign with all the links the same but use more CSS, etc.

Leave a comment:

• mkernel
    replied
    Maybe, but the comments don't appear on the higher ranking page of the two he has ranked.

Also, you do rank #7 for the term "skins for vbulletin", which is what's in your H2 tag for the ranking page.

I've heard it suggested the Google can read CSS, and if that's the case, it could be that you aren't getting credit for your H1 tags on your home page because the font is no bigger than any other font on the page. And smaller than your H2. Not to mention the content inside that tag is pretty long and filled with stop words.

You've got 4 million+ backlinks, so you aren't hurting there....

That's all the digging I can do for now. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Google could be punishing you for keyword stuffing because of the comment in the head of your page.

Leave a comment:

• pank
    started a topic New redesign and Google rankings. Static or Wordpress?

New redesign and Google rankings. Static or Wordpress?

What's better when I do my site redesign regarding Google rankings? Fresh site using Wordpress / keep current link and folder structure and use static pages and CSS?

Google hates me. I'm #1 for all my key searches in Yahoo, LIve/MSN/Bing ask.com, etc. Only Google do I have issues and show up on the second page for a vbulletin skins search for example. IPB and phpBB are still on the front page but the other search engines I'm nearly #1 or #1 for all major searches???