Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTMON
    replied
    See, that's what I don't get. It works nicely for me using pure tcp/ip alone for small networks. Everything works just great!

Leave a comment:

• PDT816
    replied
    Re: past experience

Originally posted by tsubo
    Past experience and a windoze 2000 server book tell me that though TCP/IP is the only protocol required, it works very nicely with both TCP/IP and NetBEUI.

For peer to peer networks (less than ten boxes) you can use justTCP/Ip and NetBEUI. With more than ten, and a domain structure should be set up. If it's all native 2000 stuff, you don't need to run netBEUI as TCP/IP is enough. If it's a hybred network, it's best to have NetBEUI or IPX/SPX to alleviate connectivity issues.

Just my .02 cents.
    I agree with tsubo. NetBEUI is the proper way to go with a small number of connections. I have never experienced a problem running NetBEUI and a LinkSYS router.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. X
    replied
    Ok I lied, I just gotta add some more.

Pertaining to C's actual problem unless it has been solved already (pretty old thread), if C can successfully renew IPs, perhaps packets arent being routed outbound, or outbound packets arent coming through. When you say connection, do you mean you cannot access any outbound resources (internet etc)? Can you access internal resources?

Perhaps outbound connections such as your ISP are being blocked for an amount of time until they are passed through. I dont have these Linksys routers, so Im not sure how they work specifically.

Maybe theres some collisions occuring, over-accessive error checking (if these routers support it that is), or maybe the router itself is fubar, and theres a setting or like suggest, a firmware upgrade that might fix it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. X
    replied
    If you're running w2k server instead of professional though, you meight have to do a "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew".
    W2K Pro and Server are essentially the same. TCP/IP utilities are no different in either versions. However MattR says that the /renw switch is present in International versions, so perhaps its simply an issue of translation or something?

ipconfig /release releases any IP's bound to the network adapter. ipconfig /renew will grab a new IP from a DHCP server if you are using DHCP in the first place. If you have a static IP assigned, /renew isnt going to help here.

It might be that the system has been modified by it's manufacturers. They could have added the /renw switch in the internal commands file.
    Why would anyone do that? /renw doesnt offer anything different than /renew, so there is no need to do it. Still confused as to why some are actually saying /renw works since I've never seen it before when I starting using that command years ago. However if it pertains to the point of being in a different language, then perhaps thats it. Then again I've seen computer setups act pretty strange so who knows.

for those that it doesn't work, what are those specs? Maybe their are some similarities
    I've done the ipconfig /renew commands on 100's of computers, from puny little desktop workstations to extremely high-end servers, and I've never seen /renw mentioned anywhere but in this thread

I dont believe its an issue with hardware setup since the whole point of TCP/IP was not to be tied with any particular platform, which is why its the dominant protocol. Again, it could be a language translation issue.

I know this sounds stupid to be actually saying this but the people experiencing connectivity problems... do you have netBeui installed along with TCP/IP?
    NetBeui was a protocol developed to support I believe 20 to 200 systems in a LAN. It was primarily popular with IBM's LanManager, then MS adopted it and it was THE protocol to use on Windows systems until around 1993 I think. Still however, you see its influence in W2K, since NetBEUI is intergrated with the NetBIOS API interface, i.e. requiring a NetBIOS name if you setup Active Directory etc.

But since NetBEUI doesnt have a network layer, it is not routable, hence using NetBEUI alone will not work in this case, unless you bind it to a routable protocol like TCP/IP to gain ability like ICS lets say. But NetBEUI without being bound to a routable protocol wont work if you require the need to have traffic routed to other subnets.

The biggest reason its supported in W2K is mainly for Legacy support, but its an old protocol, and TCP/IP is simply the norm now. However some will say that using NetBEUI internally is a bit more secure, since its not routable it can make file and print services masked from others, and it can be pretty fast on a small LAN, since it only uses memory when it needs it, so I can see some instances where you would *want* to use it. It offers a few pros, but mostly cons when talking modern networks.

But unless you have applications or a network design that simply requires NetBEUI, its not an issue in this case.

For peer to peer networks (less than ten boxes) you can use justTCP/Ip and NetBEUI. With more than ten, and a domain structure should be set up. If it's all native 2000 stuff, you don't need to run netBEUI as TCP/IP is enough. If it's a hybred network, it's best to have NetBEUI or IPX/SPX to alleviate connectivity issues.
    You dont really need a domain after 10 systems. Though I agree it would be easier to maintain imo, but its not required. Even in hybrid networks, NetBEUI isnt needed unless you have applications that require NetBEUI. If you dont, adding it in there wont alleviate any connection problems unless you have specific software and/or a network design that requires it for whatever reason.

Ok thats enough out of me. I sometimes get into it a bit much when it comes to stuff like this, but thats what happens when you've read into routing tables, subnetting, protocol differences, network design and all that fun crap for 2 weeks straight.
    Last edited by Mr. X; Mon 8th Apr '02, 6:28am.

Leave a comment:

• tsubo
    replied
    past experience

Past experience and a windoze 2000 server book tell me that though TCP/IP is the only protocol required, it works very nicely with both TCP/IP and NetBEUI.

Just my .02 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    Originally posted by MattR

And it has never been ipconfig /renw on the US-based versions of Windowz -- Win2K is based on NT, and NT4 used ipconfig /renew. Win2K uses /renew. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever has it been /renw. WinXP also uses the same TCP/IP stack as 2K and the same programs. Searching Microsoft.com for 'ipconfig /renew' returns many results, searches for 'ipconfig /renw' returns zero.
    I think "/renw" is a typo. When in doubt type "ipconfig ?".

Leave a comment:

• JTMON
    replied
    Re: fundamental thinking

Originally posted by tsubo
    I know this sounds stupid to be actually saying this but the people experiencing connectivity problems... do you have netBeui installed along with TCP/IP?

Had a client with intermittent connections problems, and that was what he was lacking.
    There must be some other issues then as you don't need both of them. Adding both just adds to network congestion without really adding any value.

Leave a comment:

• MattR
    replied
    c-prompt, mine does that as well (8 port with 7 computers plugged in). It's quite annoying since there's no logical reason why it would happen (road runner has claimed there were no problems when the outages occured). I'll see if firmware upgrades help. And releasing / renewing doesn't help ('DHCP server cannot be found' error results) since it happens to *all* computers, randomly.

And it has never been ipconfig /renw on the US-based versions of Windowz -- Win2K is based on NT, and NT4 used ipconfig /renew. Win2K uses /renew. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever has it been /renw. WinXP also uses the same TCP/IP stack as 2K and the same programs. Searching Microsoft.com for 'ipconfig /renew' returns many results, searches for 'ipconfig /renw' returns zero.

It could have something to do with multi-language support or International versions, I found a Japanese page which seems to indicate the line is written that way (search for /renw):
    http://www.jsk.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~take.../19990117.html
    Last edited by MattR; Sun 7th Apr '02, 10:16am.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    ipconfig
    /release
    /renew

check the cables for any damage..

Leave a comment:

• tsubo
    replied
    fundamental thinking

Had a client with intermittent connections problems, and that was what he was lacking.

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    I have a netgear rt314 and when I lose my connection, I have to reset the cable modem (not the netgear router) and then type "ipconfig /renew". That always does it.

If you're running w2k server instead of professional though, you meight have to do a "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew".

Leave a comment:

• tsubo
    replied
    renw command

Hey,
    I have use the ipconfig /renew before as well. It might be that the system has been modified by it's manufacturers. They could have added the /renw switch in the internal commands file.

for those that the /renw command works, what are the specs of your system? for those that it doesn't work, what are those specs? Maybe their are some similarities

Just curious
    Last edited by tsubo; Sat 6th Apr '02, 11:04pm.

Leave a comment:

• Sinecure
    replied
    weird..

Leave a comment:

• VirtueTech
    replied
    I have gone through 3 of the cable/DSL routers by LinkSYS

Everything was working well...thenall of a sudden the ports seem to die one day...LinkSYS just sent me new ones...but what a pain.

I'll use D-Link.com or Netgear thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Sinecure
    replied
    You mock my box?? Blah to the people who mock my box!!
    lol, well actually I am running windowsXP but I ran those commands on 3 different OS's running win2k, so its not just my box. Why would they mention that on thescreensavers if the command didnt excist ?? Because the command works for me and did the job beautifully

Umm yeah thanks for the correction on the winipcfg part I always do that cause I am used to my mad unix commands :P hehe lol

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X