Linksys Router problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Router problem?

Does anyone else use a Linksys router for a LAN? I use one on a cable connection to connect 4 PCs in my home. This has always been ok. But suddenly every once in a while it will lose connection with the PCs. Where, the cable is where it should be and the router shows all the correct lights, but the PCs have no connection. If I run winipcfg and renew it gets a new IP fine and dandy. But still no connection. Than in about less than a minute it will come back.

We reset the router and started over. Still same result.

Is it the router itself? Any ideas? thanks!

i have a linksys router. i had minor connectivity issues a while back (not as bad as your description though). i found that upgrading the firmware to the latest version fixed most of those problems.

Comment

Yeah I've got 4 PC's hooked up to a Linksys Cable router.. I've never had a problem with it...everyone once in a blue moon it takes an unusually long time to detect proxy settings but other than that I've had no problems with it.. I would say the same as jake there..just upgrade the firmware..

ADSL on ther other hand I've had some serious problems with...I was setting one up for a friend who has ADSL. I spent a good solid 4 hours trying to figure this thing out....YES I read the directions and they didn't work....Newho I finally got a friend who specializes in this stuff to come out there and look @ it up...don't ask me what he did but it wasnt' just upgrading the firmware..It was crazy..

My other thought is maybe one of the cables going into your cable router or your Linksys Router may be a littel loose.. (just a thought)

Who is your ISP btw?
      @Home?
      Last edited by Prolex; Mon 22nd Oct '01, 2:56am.

Comment

yeah, connectivity is a good thing to check. pull up your command prompt and start pinging other computers on your network. look at packet loss. atenuation in the cabling or loose connections can always cause issues.

Comment

I have a Linksys at my parents house. Latest firmware and everything, but it still dies periodically. At the house I'm at, we have a Netgear. Never had a problem with it and it is much more customizable.

Ethan

Comment

Simple solution..I had that very problem today with my Linksys Router. We run a basic 4 port Firewall hub. What you need to do is login to your router's admin program, and quite simply go to DHCP, click DHCP Release, and the DHCP Renew. It'll reset the IP config for your hub, your computers, once connected to the hub, really don't do anything to connect to the net, it's more of a relay thing. So you have to tweak your hub and reset the ip, which is in fact what happened to me, I ended up with a different ip..and hey bingo.

Comment

question

hi,
              I have an existing cable internet connection. but it is connected to one pc only. Now i want to network it with 3 more pcs.
              I have purchased a netgear cable router.

I was wondering how do u setup a cable router. Do you call ur cable company and ask them to change the MAC address
              of your pc or do u just connect the Cat 5 cable coming from the cable modem to the cable router ??

Any help here would be highly appreciated..

Thanx in advance...
              www.shayri.com

Comment

What you do is take the cat5 cable that comes from the "cable modem" plug it into the WAN port on the "Router".. Then take another pice of cat 5 cable and connect it between 1 of the free ports on the router and into the back of your computer, usually your ethernet card..

Then follow the directions that came with the router. It usually requires very little modifications if you are using cable, but if you are using ADSL its freaking hard. I spent months trying to get it working on an ADSL mode, and finally got it, but after much adu about nothing

Once you have the computer booted up running the cat5 cable from the router try releasing and renewing the IP. If you are running windows 2000 open up the command prompt and do the following

ipconfig /release It should do something for a second and then your IP, subnet mask and default gateway should all go to 0.0.0.0 Then after you have done that type in the following command.

ipconfig /renw. YES on win2k its /renw. I learned that on TECH TV That should renew all you adapters and then just start up your internet, it should automaticly detect proxy settings and then your in the clear

The commands above were provided you were running win2k. Those commands will still work with XP. If you are running ME or 98 just got start>run and type in winipconfig

THen a menu should come up with different options like release all and renew all. Click release all first, and once thats done click renew all.

Hope that helps Its best to follow the instructions from your router and also keep in contact with your ISP, they should give you the neccesary information. Although they wont be happy about you having the router so they probably wont help you much
                Board of the Month: November
                Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
                Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
                vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

thank you

Thanx a lot sinecure.

I was wondering if i need to contact the isp to change the mac address.... since now the cable modem would be connected to the router mac address and not my pc.

I think there is a registration system prevalent in all high speed internet isps where u have to register ur mac addresses so that it is not misused. once the mac address of ur nic is registered only that mac address can access the net...

what i wanted to ask was how to determing to mac address of the wan port that u were talking about.... because i need to give this address... since the cable company would need to know the mac address of the connecting nic interface.

ne ideas ??
                  www.shayri.com

Comment

ipconfig /renw. YES on win2k its /renw. I learned that on TECH TV
                    Code:
                    F:\>ipconfig /renw

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Error: Unrecognized command line argument "renw"

USAGE:
                       ipconfig [/? | /all | /release [adapter] | /renew [adapter]
                                | /flushdns | /registerdns
                                | /showclassid adapter
                                | /setclassid adapter [classidtoset] ]

adapter    Full name or pattern with '*' and '?' to 'match',
                                  * matches any character, ? matches one character.
                       Options
                           /?           Display this help message.
                           /all         Display full configuration information.
                           /release     Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
                           /renew       Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
                           /flushdns    Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
                           /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
                           /displaydns  Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
                           /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
                           /setclassid  Modifies the dhcp class id.

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
                    default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
                    leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For SetClassID, if no class id is specified, then the classid is removed.

Examples:
                        > ipconfig                       ... Show information.
                        > ipconfig /all                  ... Show detailed information
                        > ipconfig /renew                ... renew all adapaters
                        > ipconfig /renew EL*            ... renew adapters named EL....
                        > ipconfig /release *ELINK?21*   ... release all matching adapters,
                                                             eg. ELINK-21, myELELINKi21adapter.

F:\>
                    ipconfig /renw? You sure you heard that right?
                    forums: pcfx.cc
                    gallery: here

Comment

thats exactly right, i am 100% sure..
                      I've used that plenty of times to renew and release adapters. It wont do it when I use renew, it just goes blank so I use renw and it works. I got that from techtv, I watched them type it in.
                      Last edited by Sinecure; Tue 23rd Oct '01, 7:51am.
                      vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

Then why am I getting unrecognized command when I do it? Im using W2K Pro Sp2 btw.

I've read every MS Press Kit training book on NT4 and W2K and I never seen "renw" as a valid command.

Comment

hmmm, I have no idea. Just lookin at the code you pasted, it says F:\>ipconfig /renw

Are you running windows off your F drive?? Perhaps that may have somethig to do with it, I dont know. I read the instructions off an article on thescreensavers.com a sub-show of techtv. They had /renw on there and thats the only thing that worked for me. I wasn't able to get anything when using the /renew command so /renw worked for me

weird.. Perhaps send an email to the guys at thescreensavers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sinecure
                            hmmm, I have no idea. Just lookin at the code you pasted, it says F:\>ipconfig /renw

Are you running windows off your F drive?? Perhaps that may have somethig to do with it, I dont know. I read the instructions off an article on thescreensavers.com a sub-show of techtv. They had /renw on there and thats the only thing that worked for me. I wasn't able to get anything when using the /renew command so /renw worked for me

weird.. Perhaps send an email to the guys at thescreensavers.com
                            I typed ipconfig /renw and the error I get is the "Error: Unrecognized command line argument "renw"

If you type ipconfig /? you will see a list of proper commands, and "renw" isnt in there, so you must be running some voodoo cursed version of W2K

As for drive letter it doesnt matter where W2K is installed, the TCP/IP utils like Ipconfig dont rely on drive letter, mount points etc.

If you are in W9x, you have to use the "winipcfg" util, not "winipconfig". I do that alot cuz Im used to typing ipconfig all the time

I've seen Screen Savers a few times (I dont get TechTV on digital cable in my town but my sister does). I'll have to find that article and see what it says.

In the meantime sprinkle some holy water on your W2K boxen

Comment

You shouldnt' have to register the MAC address for your router. when I set up something similar to what you have i thought I had to do that as well but you don't. I've found with ADSL (Telus.net) you can't easily use the standard ADSL router with a Linksys outer. It's just the way that the ISP has set stuff up. What you have to do is make sure that your ADSL is working properly and then copy down your IP, Subnet mask and all that neat info in your ipconfig. then when you connect to your linksys router (usually 192.168.1.100) select Specify an Ip address. then plug in all that info and then I found that I couldn't use the option in IE "Autotamaticaly detect proxy settings" If found that I had to completly take it off.

So I don't think that you should have to register your MAC address for the new hardware you got.. most ISP's do that just to keep tabs but it's not actually required as far as I know. I got this all working fine without ever typing in a single MAC address. Let me know if you have any more problems

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X