• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Users - what programs do you use?

What do you use for:

SFTP
    SSH
    Browsing
    Firewall / security (if you think it's needed)
    Code editor (text mate?)
    Anything else you think is worth recommending?

Thanks!
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

http://osx.iusethis.com/user/floris

Web design: PhotoShop / Illustrator, Transmit, MAMP, and all sorts of browsers (Mainly FireFox

Web development: TextMate, Transmit, MAMP, and all sorts of browsers (including FireBug plugin for FireFox), Terminal.app for SSH2

Media: VLC, QuickTime, iTunes, Unison, GarageBand/Logic Studio, Final Cut Pro, iPhoto, Flickr, Transmit, PureFTPd Manager

Screencasting: QuickTime, IShowU HD, Transmit, BaseCampHQ.com, Vimeo, YouTube, CamTwist, Skype Business

Cloud Computing: Safari, FireFox, Gmail Notifier, TweetDeck, Email.app (hardly), DropBox

Instant Msg: Adium-X, X-Chat Aqua, Linkinus, TweetDeck, Skype

I store all my sensitive data in: Info.Xhead, 1Password, TrueCrypt

I sync using private/ folder under DropBox and .Mac (MobileMe)

I manage my daily todo tasks using Things.app and BaseCampHQ.com

And I love using dual monitor setup, remote connect server, and screen sharing, spaces, etc. to improve workflow and system management. I also have multiple accounts on the system depending what screencasts I make, screenshots, etc.

Comment

ftp - Transmit

ssh - Terminal

browsing - firefox (and safari for a test user)

coding - bbedit

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

When I used bbedit I got so frustrated every other day .. I switched to textmate and those frustrations went away. But right now, after a new bbedit version, and stillllll no update to textmate .. they're basically equal and it will be interesting to see if i switch to bbedit again.

Comment

Thanks both

That's a handy site too Floris!
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

While not specifically Mac you might try:
            NVU (Web Development) - http://www.net2.com/nvu/index.html
            Inkscape (Vector Graphics Editor) - http://www.inkscape.org/
            FileZilla (FTP) - http://filezilla-project.org/

All have Mac Native versions.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              and stillllll no update to textmate ..
              Sad but true. I love TextMate but there seems to be no activity in development. The last blog entry is from 2008.
              Have you tried MacRabbit's Espresso (http://macrabbit.com/espresso/)?
              That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                When I used bbedit I got so frustrated every other day .. I switched to textmate and those frustrations went away. But right now, after a new bbedit version, and stillllll no update to textmate .. they're basically equal and it will be interesting to see if i switch to bbedit again.
                I've tried Text Mate, but I never got used to it's look although I like the colors better (yes, I know I could change them, but sometimes I'm lazy ). What was it about BBEdit that frustrated you?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

It couldn't do vbulletin template macros for one.

Now if I type "vbif" I get a complete compliant vbulletin template if conditional for example that lets me expand to else if needed, and with tab i can jump to the positions and using vbvar i get a dropdown with commonly used $show['member'] etc stuff.

i also miss some command line things that tm does really well, especially when using ruby on rails, and also missing the way like in textmate i just drop a dir on it and its a project and smart about it (close to ide).

I've emailed textmate twice in early and late 2008 and heard back, but .. nothing promising.

espresso, yeah .. but its made to be pretty, not functional. it came with one of those $50 bundles.

Comment

http://osx.iusethis.com/user/pitchoune

If some applications can help you....

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Following you

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                        What do you use for:

SFTP
                        SSH
                        Browsing
                        Firewall / security (if you think it's needed)
                        Code editor (text mate?)
                        Anything else you think is worth recommending?

Thanks!
                        Transmit works well for all my file transfer needs. For browsing, I'm currently experimenting with the Opera 10 beta. I use Lil' Snitch to block certain programs from accessing the Internet, but it's not a true firewall. For code editing, I use BBEdit.
                        Forums

Comment

SFTP: Cyberduck
                          SSH: Terminal
                          Browsing: Firefox
                          Firewall / security: Built-in
                          Code editor: TextMate

Comment

FTP/SFTP: CuteFTP Pro Mac.
                            SSH: Terminal
                            Browsing: Firefox, Safari and Opera
                            Firewall / security (if you think it's needed): Built in Firewall and Sophos Antivirus.
                            Code editor (text mate?): BBedit and/or Dreamweaver.
                            Anything else you think is worth recommending? Microsoft Office and VMware Fusion are indispensable to me... I run multiple versions of Windows and Linux under Fusion for testing purposes or for easy access to old Lotus 123, Word Pro or Word perfect files.

Comment

VMWare fusion is great.

Every time I get a bundle from mupromo or macheist, etc. I get another license. I think I have 2 VMWare and 3 Parallels licenses by now. I should contact them and see if any of them can be sold secondhand for say $10 or $20.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X