Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC vs MAC - what did YOU choose and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC vs MAC - what did YOU choose and why?

I am unsure which platform I am going to go for next so am interested to know why you chose one over the other.

I like things about both... and dislike things about both (typical eh!) but am hoping some of you can point out something I've missed.

Please don't get too personal - they are only machines!
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

PC...

Not a fan of the Mac OS. Also not a fan of having to use emulation or virtualization to run applications that I want to run. I also don't like being held captive by one company for primary hardware choices.

The PC gives me the greatest choice in software, hardware and operating systems.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

I have got a typical Desktop pc. I like it because you have a wide range of products that you can use instead of the restrictions that Mac's have. Mind you I would have gotten a Mac but the price was over the top for me. So I ended up getting a compaq presario which is awesome for under $1000.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

No personal preference, actually. Each have their pros and cons. If you already have a PC then I'd go for a Mac. That way you have both readily available no matter what.
        Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

A Mac is a PC .

Though to answer your question my main PC is an iMac, though until my internal hard drive stopped working I was mainly running Windows on it (via Boot Camp). As Boot Camp won't work off an external harddrive I'm now mainly using OS X until I can get the internal drive fixed.

I don't really think either is specifically better, they both have good and bad points.
          - TomJames

Comment

Always used a PC and will likely not change from it (unless I find a huge sum of cash to by a MacBook so I can DJ with it instead of CDs... ).

Don't even like laptops - hate the keyboards and the mouse pads. Gimme my 11 year old keyboard any day...
            Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
            -
            *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
            - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
            - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
            - "Quick Route" Interface...
            - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Mac.

It runs all the software I need but I don't have to care about drivers and stuff like that.

I paid 2,315.70 USD for my 24'' iMac and it's worth every penny. I can't imagine going back to Windows. I am still using Windows though when I am at my dad's office but he is going to switch soon.

A Mac isn't expensive. If someone paid me 10 USD for every problem I had to fix during the long years of Windows he would have easily spend over 3,000 USD.
              That's the end of that!

Comment

Mac

I have to support clients running Windows, the MacOS and a couple of different Linux distros. For me an Intel based Mac Pro just made sense.

I have it set up with boot camp to dual boot OS X and Windows Vista Ultimate X64 and I run WinXP, Fedora, OpenSuse & Ubuntu in under VMware Fusion... Instead of having to shoehorn 4 computers into my home office the way I used to I only have two now the Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro.

Comment

The OSX and the programs made for it are slicker in design, user interface, and far more affordable to me (as consumer). I notice it helps me improve my workflow and lowers my computer frustrations. Is it 100%? No, of course not. Everybody is different, and we all want something nothing has, so .. I gave it a try and was amazed by how smooth the use of the OSX was, and kicking myself I did not try it sooner.

The Finder is and will probably always be horrible. The Windows7 explorer is by far a lot better. I just wish I could pick a few things from that and use it in OSX, or the other way around.

The price is reasonable, but could be a lot lower. But compared to 5 years ago it is already quite a bit lower.

The design is delicious in my eyes, looking back at modern designs from Dell or HP, I feel they look like prototypes Steve Jobs said no to during meetings.

I very much agree with Wayne that the hardware lockdown is ridiculous. The hardware in it is customized here and there to fit just perfect for the Mac, but I see no reason for other manufacturers to do the same. I mean, the hardware is supporting and compliant with Intel chips, and the OS is too. There's a reason hackingtosh exists.

Then again, I am quite happy that vBulletin only runs on MySQL/PHP for example, despite my desire to perhaps also install it on those ASP sites or PostGreSQL (db alternative).

Having the complete solution with basic software, that is easy to expand on and everything is looking slick and fully integrated and without the feeling of having to run anti trojan, anti virus and anti intrusion software on it, getting optimal performance every time, and being properly unix 64bit under the hood. Is worth the extra $100.

But I always say: use what works for you, just don't be narrowminded and not try another product before dishing it.

Comment

I am using a PC because it has a larger support for software, unlike Mac.
                    Discussion Forum

Comment

Originally posted by menj View Post
                      I am using a PC because it has a larger support for software, unlike Mac.
                      Yeah, that is very true. You won't find some of your familiar programs supported for the Mac. But while that being true, in my experience I have found the alternatives are just as nice. The only two programs I was missing was FlashFXP and mIRC. But Linkinus as mIRC replacement is pretty nice, and Transmit has replaced FlashFXP and works just fine. But I wish both were 50% (at least) closer to their Windows rivals.

Thankfully Pages and Numbers for what I use them for as very affordable replacements for MS Office's Word and Excell. That said, MS Office works on the Mac too if more juice is required.

And thankfully with the iPod Touch and the iPhone on the market owning a HUuuuGe part of it, more developers are trying to grow from Windows to Mac by supporting these handheld devices too.

Also, the cloud computing which is increasing, has software the is not dependent on the operating system, such as software for Adobe AIR applications, or browsers like Safari / Opera / FireFox. To just name a few things.

I was very afraid when I moved over that I would constantly be missing my familiar programs, while I found out with help from the Mac online community that software was popular and 'was like' what I was looking for. I found that a few weeks later I realized I haven't even turned on my PC since I first booted the Mac (besides from transferring personal data over to the Mac).

There are a lot of smart little programs for the PC that help improve workflow a lot more, and I wish those would be converted over to do almost the same on the Mac, but .. there is also a lot on the Mac I miss when I am behind XP/W7 at family members who (yet again) have a usability issue of some sorts.

But I am also quite surprised how many of my friends run both Windows on a PC and have the MacBook on the side and are loving both. So it just really depends what you do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jasetaro View Post
                        Mac

I have to support clients running Windows, the MacOS and a couple of different Linux distros. For me an Intel based Mac Pro just made sense.

I have it set up with boot camp to dual boot OS X and Windows Vista Ultimate X64 and I run WinXP, Fedora, OpenSuse & Ubuntu in under VMware Fusion... Instead of having to shoehorn 4 computers into my home office the way I used to I only have two now the Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro.
                        Yeah, it is amazing how well the Mac Pro deals with VMWare. Every time a family member calls or when I am trying to compare a web design in browsers, etc. I just vmware>OS> to a snapshot and within 15 seconds I can use that OS. I went with Bootcamp for a while, but I found out it wasn't worth the reboot to just play a few games, and got those games for the xbox360. Plus, Counter Strike Source for example, it plays under OSX/Crossover too, so I can still play the sneaky sniper

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                          I very much agree with Wayne that the hardware lockdown is ridiculous. The hardware in it is customized here and there to fit just perfect for the Mac, but I see no reason for other manufacturers to do the same. I mean, the hardware is supporting and compliant with Intel chips, and the OS is too. There's a reason hackingtosh exists.
                          The "lockdown" is one of the reasons Mac OS running on an Apple-built PC is so incredibly stable (compared with Windows-based PCs). The testing guys at Apple only have to test and create drivers for a limited set of hardware, while Windows meets thousands upon thousands of configurations, whereby manufacturers create the majority of drivers. These drivers vary in quality from excellent to downright poor; which causes instability in the OS.

There are obviously pros and cons to each OS, each with its compromises.

Damn, I felt like I just wrote an essay.

Comment

I run Windows 7 on Apple hardware.
                            Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Dismounted View Post
                              The "lockdown" is one of the reasons Mac OS running on an Apple-built PC is so incredibly stable (compared with Windows-based PCs). The testing guys at Apple only have to test and create drivers for a limited set of hardware, while Windows meets thousands upon thousands of configurations, whereby manufacturers create the majority of drivers. These drivers vary in quality from excellent to downright poor; which causes instability in the OS.

There are obviously pros and cons to each OS, each with its compromises.

Damn, I felt like I just wrote an essay.
                              Whoa never thought of that before but it does make sense *bangs head*.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X