No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC1) released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux WMs have had this ability for eons.
    I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

• Originally posted by Biker View Post
      Linux WMs have had this ability for eons.
      Windows has too. You could do it back in the Windows 98 era (or even 95).
      Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by Biker View Post
        Linux WMs have had this ability for eons.
        So has Windows but its more refined now.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          You can toss it on the left or right as well. One thing about Windows 7, is that when the taskbar is on the side of the screen, its orientation changes now and it actually works. This is not something that could be said for previous versions of Windows. With wide screen monitors, having the task bar off to one side can provide a little more vertical space.
          That extra space is priceless. I have mine on the right.

Comment

You can toss it on the left or right as well. One thing about Windows 7, is that when the taskbar is on the side of the screen, its orientation changes now and it actually works. This is not something that could be said for previous versions of Windows. With wide screen monitors, having the task bar off to one side can provide a little more vertical space.
            I agree fully. With Windows 7, I think the taskbar should have been docked to the side by default. I keep mine docked to the left side. It's a shame that a usable taskbar on the side is just now becoming usable. It was a mess in earlier versions of Windows.

Anyway, I'm now running Windows 7 on a variety of different hardware setups, from netbooks to desktops to virtual machines, and all are running very well. Windows 7 is great.
            Forums

Comment

• I've been running RC1 for a week now, I love it

I've never even tried vista.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                I haven't upen upgraded to XP yet (running Windows 2000 here)
                Haha!! I still like Windows 2000 Pro, it was the last OS Microsoft made before they started to add lots of junk. No Zip program, No Windows Messenger, or Fully blown Media Player came with it. A great OS if you wanted a lightweight stable OS that didn't use FAT32, and without all the extras you get thrown at you now.
                Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 21 May '09, 7:51pm.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                  Haha!! I still like Windows 2000 Pro, it was the last OS Microsoft made before they started to add lots of junk. No Zip program, No Windows Messenger, or Fully blown Media Player came with it. A great OS if you wanted a lightweight stable OS that didn't use FAT32, and without all the extras you get thrown at you now.
                  You should be happy to know that Windows 7 doesn't include Windows Messenger or even an Email program out of the box. These were spun off into the Windows Live Essentials project. If you live in Europe, you can even buy it without Windows Media Player. You don't even have to install Internet Explorer 8 if you don't want to.

I wouldn't call the ability to uncompress zip files as junk though. Even on Windows 2000, you are going to download something to do this anyway.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Doesn't Windows Messenger use IE to check emails recieved. I know even if you have FireFox setup as your default browser, Windows Messenger will still launch IE to check for new emails.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                      Doesn't Windows Messenger use IE to check emails recieved. I know even if you have FireFox setup as your default browser, Windows Messenger will still launch IE to check for new emails.
                      I've don't recall ever having that problem. Maybe the built-in version in XP but that was what version 6? The current version for Messenger is 14.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Yeah I know you can move it around but I have never seen someone use it in another position before though. Yeah I read about the changes they made when the task bar is horizontal, very useful for those that have it in those positions.

Comment

I've don't recall ever having that problem. Maybe the built-in version in XP but that was what version 6? The current version for Messenger is 14.
                          Yeah I use XP, and thats the case for me. Doesn't matter if I set Firefox as default browser. Messenger still launches IE to check mail.

Comment

• On my PC it launches Windows Live Mail Desktop which is set as the default email handling client. I would suspect that if it had to load your mail in a web browser that it would use the default browser. Default program handling on some installations of XP is wonky though. It has been vastly improved in Vista and Windows 7.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• Yeah, I used Vista. But didn't really like it that much and reverted back to XP

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X