X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    DirecTV and Sky have the same parent company.

Not any more ... Newscorp sold the majority stake they had in DirecTV to another company.

Leave a comment:

• Sosso
    replied
    Originally posted by dkon26 View Post
    Yep. That movie was awesome! I just saw The Descent last night. It was freaky but awesome. Its from 2005 so im sure by now im the last one to have watched it. lol The new indiana jones movie was good, though, I still liked the older ones the best.

When/if the haunting in connecticut movie comes out for you, check it out. It was awesome! Oh and lets not forget the silent hill movie.
    The descent : very good film ! Purely terrifying...

Suggestion: X-Files (serie)

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by VictoriaH View Post
    Here in the UK if you have a TV it is manadatory that you have a TV licence which is payable to the BBC the yearly fee currently stands at £142.50.
    Yeah, BBC conned the people into a pretty sweet deal all those years ago. We pay a monthly franchise fee. my local city charges $5.00 per cable or satellite customer. But it goes to the city, not the broadcasters.

Then if you want to subscribe to Sky my husband pays around £43 per month which includes the sport channels that are slowly diminishing so he then decided to get Setanta which is a further £13.50 per month all in all a pretty expensive bundle.
    DirecTV and Sky have the same parent company. I think DirecTV has more competition in the U.S. though with direct competition with DishTV (another satellite provider) and multiple cable companies across the nation. Here they compete on number of channels, not necessarily service. DirecTV has the most channels and the most customers, even though competitors have lower prices. Prices aren't dissimilar though. Basic package here is $39.99 a month, I think. We have their top package though which is about $120 a month plus $10.99 for each additional television.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Finley
    replied
    If you like Star Trek and such, you need to see Galaxy Quest.

Leave a comment:

• VictoriaH
    replied
    What is PayTV? Is this a service or just a reference to services like HBO, Starz or Cinemax?

We have DirecTV here. 250 channels plus On Demand.
    Here in the UK if you have a TV it is manadatory that you have a TV licence which is payable to the BBC the yearly fee currently stands at £142.50.

Then if you want to subscribe to Sky my husband pays around £43 per month which includes the sport channels that are slowly diminishing so he then decided to get Setanta which is a further £13.50 per month all in all a pretty expensive bundle.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    What is PayTV? Is this a service or just a reference to services like HBO, Starz or Cinemax?

We have DirecTV here. 250 channels plus On Demand.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
    Yeah I love faulty towers - watching it again at the moment!

I do have the skyplayer thing where I can download and watch stuff from my satellite provider, but it doesn't work on a mac and its a pita to use since they changed it and the minimum system requirements now vastly exceed the setup of my extremely old windows machine. I use some of the tv channels online on demand services too for things that I like to watch on tv (NCIS, CSI, Numbers, etc).
    I was going to recommend you getting paytv so that you can watch shows like The Goodies and Sex and the City on the comedy channel and fox8....

Have it put through your tv instead of your pc. Saves memory.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
    do you mean star trek? I really need to update my collection to have them on dvd instead of vhs if you do.

I would skip the DVD and wait until you have blu-ray, surely with the new movie coming out they're remastering everything to nice 720p resolution. On that HDTV you got there, it will look 4x better than the VHS, which I would keep for nostalgia.

Leave a comment:

• VictoriaH
    replied
    Memoirs of a Geisha..

Leave a comment:

• 50calray
    replied
    Originally posted by simsim View Post
    I would add "The Silence of the Lambs" to this list. Anthony Hopkins was legendary in that movie. One of my all-time best movies.
    Oh ya, Anthony Hopkins rules.

Leave a comment:

• peterska2
    replied
    I'm getting lots of great ideas. Keep them coming.

I'm gonna print them all out (write them all down on a piece of paper) and take the list with me to the stores later in the week.

Just watched Calendar Girls, and got Breakfast at Tiffanys on at the moment. Mrs Doubtfire and Angelas Ashes are on the top of the Desk for watching today too.

Yesterdays watching was Garfield, National Treasure 2, The Devil wears Prada, The Stepford Wives and Kingdom of Heaven.

The Mummy ( all 3 movies staring Brendan Fraser, their fun to watch)
    already got and watched to death
    Pursuit of Happiness
    got and love that one
    Diehard
    got and watch all of them very regularly
    Startrak
    do you mean star trek? I really need to update my collection to have them on dvd instead of vhs if you do.

Leave a comment:

• veenuisthebest
    replied
    On the otherhand, revenue shouldn't be the only requirement for recommending a film.
    I was just pointing out a fact, who said I am recommending Twilight on that basis? The basis is that I loved it.

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
    Mystic River, Taken , Pursuit of Happiness , Disturbia
    Taken was good.

Leave a comment:

• simsim
    replied
    Originally posted by 50calray View Post
    Misc other good movies
    o this list.
    Godfather ( ALL)
    GoodFellas
    Gone with the Wind (we named our son after Rhett Butler)
    Star Wars (original 3 movies)
    Star Trak ( Original movies)
    Lord of the Rings
    Mississippi Burning ( powerful movie about racial tension during the 60's starting Gene Hackman and William Defoe)
    Schindler's List ( VERY GOOD movie)
    The Mummy ( all 3 movies staring Brendan Fraser, their fun to watch)
    The Postman (staring Kevin Costner)
    I would add "The Silence of the Lambs" to this list. Anthony Hopkins was legendary in that movie. One of my all-time best movies.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    Mystic River, Taken , Pursuit of Happiness , Disturbia

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X