Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question to the native speakers of English

Hello

I am practicing English listening to improve my listening skills, and it's important to hear various accents, I think, especially if you plan to take the IELTS exam.

It's been said that the Australian accent is somehow different, and hard for a non-native speaker to understand, but I found this fact might not be really true.

So here's the Australian ABC News Radio, would you please confirm whether it's an Australian accent or not? especially the host's accent.

You will need Real Player to hear the streaming.

Waiting for your feedback, thanks in advance.
    Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

I worked with a number of Australians for several years and although that accent is very similar, there does appear to be some differences that I can't quite pinpoint. Perhaps he's a New Zealander or from a different part of Australia than I'm accustomed to.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve.

Is the New Zealandian accent any closer to the American or the British accents?
      Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

This is a small offline practice test from official TOEFL website. It has a listening test too. It may help I guess, though IELTS is different.
        http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/TOEFL...oeflSample.exe

Comment

Thanks, will try it.

Regards

Comment

Do you not have a copy of the stream in WMP format, or mp3? I'm not willing to install realplayer (nor am I sure why anyone in their right mind would!). I am very good at picking up on accents. I'd be able to tell you straight away whether it was Australian, NZ, Tasmanian, South African or, of course, British.
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Try listening to different radio stations from around the UK, particularly if you can get those in the Highlands, Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham and Cornwall/Devon for a good spread of accents...
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

Originally posted by Milado View Post
                Hello

I am practicing English listening to improve my listening skills, and it's important to hear various accents, I think, especially if you plan to take the IELTS exam.

It's been said that the Australian accent is somehow different, and hard for a non-native speaker to understand, but I found this fact might not be really true.

So here's the Australian ABC News Radio, would you please confirm whether it's an Australian accent or not? especially the host's accent.

You will need Real Player to hear the streaming.

Waiting for your feedback, thanks in advance.
                As an English person, the only thing with the Australian language that's hard for us to grasp sometimes is the "slang words" they use which we don't and are not that familiar with. Plus their accent doesn't help.

You could say the same about listening to a Jamaican person taking English, because they talk so fast and have their own accent, it's very hard to understand what they say - even though they are talking English.

Comment

We speak 'strain. (Try it - it's funnily similar.)

But to be honest - the majority of us speak quite "neutral", not the exaggerated stuff people usually associate with Australians.

And the slang might take a bit to get used to, even for native English speakers from other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Dismounted View Post
                    We speak 'strain. (Try it - it's funnily similar.)

But to be honest - the majority of us speak quite "neutral", not the exaggerated stuff people usually associate with Australians.

And the slang might take a bit to get used to, even for native English speakers from other countries.
                    I'm not sure about that. I met a few Melbourne'ites on my travels last year. Whilst I have no problem understanding them, it wasn't far off Steve Irwin
                    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Trevster View Post
                      Try listening to different radio stations from around the UK, particularly if you can get those in the Highlands, Glasgow, Newcastle, Birmingham and Cornwall/Devon for a good spread of accents...
                      Indeed, also you could try the BBC Radio Podcasts if you want to focus just on the talking aspect. Radio 4 would probably be your best bet. Having said that the Scott Mills Daily one (Radio 1) is also very popular with people learning English it seems. Though he has a tendency to say 'off of' far too often :P
                      - TomJames

Comment

The thing with the Australian accent is almost every sentence sounds like a question :lol:

Use the BBC instead
                        What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                          The thing with the Australian accent is almost every sentence sounds like a question :lol:

Use the BBC instead
                          I have an aunt by marriage thats from australia and her accent is decent. Once she has a few beers, it gets quite interesting though. I wouldnt choose the british accent either if I had a choice.

Comment

You'll have to record her and post it on youtube :lol:
                            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

New Zealand:
                              Read it out loud. Despite the fact that it's a joke, it's very accurate.
                              http://www.guy-sports.com/months/jok...ew_zealand.htm

Australia:
                              Similar to New Zealand, however the pronounciation of the vowel sound is different. There is also the 'bogan' accent, which is what I speak with. Basically, the closer you get to the centre of Aus, the more the accent changes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X