No announcement yet.

Which Antivirus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to highly recommend "AVG Free" to everybody as an alternative for years. But like Wayne pointed out, I have noticed it's become much more of a resource hog these days, which has lead to me stopped using it as of this week. I was noticing on boot-up my system was always waiting quite a number of seconds for AVG to finish loading last everytime. In some cases, taking a very unreasonable amount of time to do so that was doubling my Windows XP boot time. So after just doing a re-format, I will no longer be using it for the first time ever in 4-5 years.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Thu 10 Sep '09, 2:37am.

Comment

Which would you say is the best free version, and which is the lightest of the two on system resources?

"Avast" Free Edition, or "Avira" Antivir Free Edition. Also, do they both support Outlook Express email virus checking? Also, do any of these versions (because there free). Try to install any toolbars like Yahoo or Ask search?

Comment

Originally posted by ct2k7 View Post
        I've been using "Morro" it's actually MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to be doing the job, laptop is not noticeably slower at all, so all is great - can't tell the difference when ESET was installed so :P

PS. Morro isn't available in the UK yet, and most versions out there are leaked, there is an official Microsoft Connect group to beta test the software.
        Microsoft Security Essentials

Leaked

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
          How can it be leaked when Microsoft is making available for free to all users?

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Not the case here in the UK Wayne, I just visit that link you posted and the download button doesn't work. I'm shown a message that it's not available for UK people.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              How can it be leaked when Microsoft is making available for free to all users?
              I was mocking ct2k7...

Comment

I'm not using any virus scanner right now since my clean install. I'm going to hold out for this from MS. Good to see they say it will not be resource intensive too.

Comment

I've been using AVG home edition for a couple of years.
                  Peggy
                  ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Avast Pro
                    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I have been using free AVG for about 2 years now and have never had any problems.
                      survival gear forum

Comment

Same here, not had any problems either with AVG really, apart from it's been getting a little system intensive now compared to when I first started using it. I just installed Avast! for the first time, I'd say they about the same system resource wise. But Avast seems a little better than AGV on features, and after searching Google it's coming out top all the time as being the best to use for a free Virus scanner.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                          Same here, not had any problems either with AVG really, apart from it's been getting a little system intensive now compared to when I first started using it. I just installed Avast! for the first time, I'd say they about the same system resource wise. But Avast seems a little better than AGV on features, and after searching Google it's coming out top all the time as being the best to use for a free Virus scanner.
                          Try Avira Antivir now..

Comment

I was thinking about doing after reading your other post about it. But this website kinda swayed me towards Avast.

http://freebies.about.com/od/securit...-antivirus.htm

Comment

I have used ESET for a few years now... never had one single virus issue.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                                I was thinking about doing after reading your other post about it. But this website kinda swayed me towards Avast.

http://freebies.about.com/od/securit...-antivirus.htm
                                hehe then you should have visited the second link on google too.
                                http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...s-software.htm

But again, thats their opinion. You gotta try it yourself. My AVG and Avast days are over, and am finding no reason to leave Avira.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X