Digital cam recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital cam recommendations

I'm planning a trip to a wonderful country, so there would be lots of photo taking.

I want to purchase a new camera. Nothing so fancy, but it should be able to produce high-res photos & has bigger memory built-in. Video capabilities is a plus but not required.

I would usually dive through lots of review websites and made lists of detailed comparisons before purchasing, but I don't have enough time to do so. So I thought I may consider the opinions of the good photography experts on this forum.

Any help is pretty much appreciated.
    Last edited by simsim; Wed 8 Apr '09, 2:21am.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

P&S or DSLR? Budget? And where are you going? (Somewhere sunny or somewhere cloudy?)
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

I have a canon SD600 6MP camera, it's a point and shoot. It takes excellent photos, and videos. Very compact, can fit in your shirt pocket.

Cheap and easy to use and carry. I've dropped it many times and keeps on tickin.

If you want a higher end, go with the Nikon D90 SLR. You can change the lense and a ton of options. It also lets you take HD movies. A little spendy but it'll cover most shooting situations.

I'd recommend sticking with a Canon, or Nikon.

GL

Comment

I recommend reading the photography thread here in the chit chat forum where everybody is sharing experiences and recommendations.

I would go with a) Canon and otherwise b) Nikon. I am not intereseted in other brands to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
          P&S or DSLR? Budget? And where are you going? (Somewhere sunny or somewhere cloudy?)
          DSLRs are presumably way more expensive than P&Ss I believe, right? Moreover, An DSLR takes time to learn so I think I'll go with a P&S camera. Budget is between $300-$500. I don't know if it would bring a good camera or not. If not, please tell, and I'll compromise.

The trip is to Turkey. Charming nature, lots of museums & historical places to visit too.

Originally posted by pk698 View Post
          I have a canon SD600 6MP camera, it's a point and shoot. It takes excellent photos, and videos. Very compact, can fit in your shirt pocket.

Cheap and easy to use and carry. I've dropped it many times and keeps on tickin.

If you want a higher end, go with the Nikon D90 SLR. You can change the lense and a ton of options. It also lets you take HD movies. A little spendy but it'll cover most shooting situations.

I'd recommend sticking with a Canon, or Nikon.

GL
          Everybody Loves Canon.

Thanks for the recommendation. Checked up the Nikon model. Price range between $700-1000? Well, I don't think it's an option, right now.

Originally posted by Floris View Post
          I recommend reading the photography thread here in the chit chat forum where everybody is sharing experiences and recommendations.

I would go with a) Canon and otherwise b) Nikon. I am not intereseted in other brands to be honest.
          The photography thread is exhaustive. Getting information about a camera there is like fetching a needle out of a haystack.

Thanks anyway. Canon seems surely the way to go.
          You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

I love my cannon powershot sx110 -- its an easy to use P&S with 10x optical zoom** and its slim enough that I can carry it around in my pocket. It uses AA batteries too.

If you can't find that one, mine is about a year or two old now, find the next one in that line.

(optical zoom is more important factor than digital zoom, although the dig zoom on this is also great)

edit: here is a link to it on amazon.com
            http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho...KEKQT3X3S9JHCG
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

They're not that hard to use - most of the lower end models have an auto mode too (DSLRs).

If you don't mind not having video, try the Nikon D40 or Nikon D60. Most of the pics in my profile here were taken with the D40 (all of the cat ones were).
              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X