Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to vBulletin :)

Hey everyone,
    Just bought vBulletin about 5 minutes ago and I changed the file name from config.php.new to just config.php, saved it and am now copying the contents of the 'upload' folder to the server

I've never made a forum before, so just wondering if I could gather some advice..

My website is onlinetradingforum.com.au, It will be a trading forum (obviously )

1) Anyone got any tips for making my first forum?
    2) Any tips for gaining members/advertising? ($200-300 budget)
    3) Any recommendations of add-ons to use?.. I'm thinking of using iTrader for a feedback system (since it will be a trading forum..) Anyone used iTrader before? Are there any alternatives to it?..

Thanks alot
    Jonno

I'm trying to install vBulletin, which I bought in the last half hour, and on the 2nd step I got this error..

Attempting to attach to database
    Error description: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) /hermes/bosweb/web109/b1096/sl.joandaaron/public_html/OTF/includes/class_core.php on line 311
    The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.

I changed the username and password to what my username and password is to login to FTP.. I left the servername as 'localhost' and port as 3306.. Is this alright?..

My website is onlinetradingforum.com, I purchased the domain from crazydomains, and have hosting with startlogic. I changhed the nameservers about an hour ago, and added the domain to startlogic as well.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks
    Jonno
    Last edited by Jonno92; Fri 6th Mar '09, 3:14am.

Comment

For help and advice you should post in the appropriate forums.
      selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

Welcome to VBulletin, Jonno92. Purchasing vB is a great first step to achieve your goals.

Feel free to ask questions about vB in the support formum for the vB version you purchased, and questions on managing and growing your community here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142

Comment

best of luck to you and your site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X